Which path to take?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kyleee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which path to take?

Post by kyleee »

Hello, I am currently in high school and wish to pursue a career as a pilot. I am kind of confused which path to take, so please bear with and help me XD

I live in Canada rn but I want to move abroad later in life, and when I checked one of the major airlines' requirements in that country, it says they prioritize those who got an aviation-related diploma/degree. (Cebu Pacific)

So I went and researched schools around BC or AB, and saw BCIT. I thought it was a good program to only get it done in about a year and a half.
However, people say their program is trash and I could just get it done faster in my own time with about the same knowledge as people who went there. But the thing is, I also heard, people get into regional airlines quicker with a diploma to that. Any thoughts?

Another thought is, I also want to become a paramedic. With that, I'd have to get an EMT certificate (1 year) and after a few years or months, I can either go to BCIT to get my diploma OR do flight training in my own time. However, I think if I took EMT and study at BCIT, I won't really be able to do my job as a paramedic since BCIT's program is structured from 0800-1530. But if I took EMT AND do flight training my own time, I have a feeling it would take a little bit longer because I won't be able to commit to full-time flying. Unless of course, I work as a part-time paramedic (If they let that)

I was also thinking, maybe if I just get that EMT-P diploma (just advanced version, and for back up plan too [3-4 years]) and somehow fit (local-Edmonton) flying school in my schedule, I will be able to get my licenses and build up hours. I also thought maybe if I have experience flying here, I won't really need to have graduated from an aviation college.

So basically, Do you think, I'm better off
- getting my EMT-P diploma (3-4) and get flying school done my own time
- get EMT certificate (1 year) and then get BCIT diploma
- get EMT certificate and go to local flying school (no need to move provinces too)
- just take BCIT diploma and pray I'm one of the lucky people to get a job
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”