Which path to take?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kyleee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which path to take?

Post by kyleee »

Hello, I am currently in high school and wish to pursue a career as a pilot. I am kind of confused which path to take, so please bear with and help me XD

I live in Canada rn but I want to move abroad later in life, and when I checked one of the major airlines' requirements in that country, it says they prioritize those who got an aviation-related diploma/degree. (Cebu Pacific)

So I went and researched schools around BC or AB, and saw BCIT. I thought it was a good program to only get it done in about a year and a half.
However, people say their program is trash and I could just get it done faster in my own time with about the same knowledge as people who went there. But the thing is, I also heard, people get into regional airlines quicker with a diploma to that. Any thoughts?

Another thought is, I also want to become a paramedic. With that, I'd have to get an EMT certificate (1 year) and after a few years or months, I can either go to BCIT to get my diploma OR do flight training in my own time. However, I think if I took EMT and study at BCIT, I won't really be able to do my job as a paramedic since BCIT's program is structured from 0800-1530. But if I took EMT AND do flight training my own time, I have a feeling it would take a little bit longer because I won't be able to commit to full-time flying. Unless of course, I work as a part-time paramedic (If they let that)

I was also thinking, maybe if I just get that EMT-P diploma (just advanced version, and for back up plan too [3-4 years]) and somehow fit (local-Edmonton) flying school in my schedule, I will be able to get my licenses and build up hours. I also thought maybe if I have experience flying here, I won't really need to have graduated from an aviation college.

So basically, Do you think, I'm better off
- getting my EMT-P diploma (3-4) and get flying school done my own time
- get EMT certificate (1 year) and then get BCIT diploma
- get EMT certificate and go to local flying school (no need to move provinces too)
- just take BCIT diploma and pray I'm one of the lucky people to get a job
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Which path to take?

Post by ayseven »

Studying ANYTHING is never a waste of time. I mean anything. Sometimes you don't know what you like, or don't like, until you do it. That is why many people switch majors in university. Eventually, you get good at doing this sort of thing, and taking a course you thought you didn't need, but do, to get into your dream programme, is easy. Easy is a relative term... You might say "well, school and living costs are high, and I don't want to waste money". As I said, nothing you study is a waste of time, EVER. The world marches on, whether you study, work, or sit on your duff.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

kyleee wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:51 am Hello, I am currently in high school and wish to pursue a career as a pilot. I am kind of confused which path to take, so please bear with and help me XD

Another thought is, I also want to become a paramedic.

You need to decide what you want to do. Become a paramedic or a pilot? Decide on one and go full speed. Something to keep in mind though, in times like what we are facing currently it is always good to have something to fall back on. Our industry is delicate. If you can have the best of both words it's a win win situation.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Interesting choice.

What do they require at Cebu Pacific?

Do you have family or friends there? Lots of nepotism in that region.

Why not PAL?

kyleee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kyleee »

altiplano wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 pm Interesting choice.

What do they require at Cebu Pacific?

Do you have family or friends there? Lots of nepotism in that region.

Why not PAL?
Ooh, if I were to ever become a pilot, I'd be probably the first one in my entire bloodline XD

It says on their website, I'd need aviation-related degree/diploma, 1500+ hours, ATPL license, etc. the same requirement for almost any airline

My original plan was PAL actually, but I knew it was going to be competitive, so I was hoping to start with Ceb Pacific and then later move to PAL.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I’m a volunteer EMR on our fire department. The paramedics all seem to be young. There seems to be a lot of turnover despite the good pay. I also know quite a few people who “used to be” paramedics. More than any other profession.

Think about why so many people leave that field.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Bede wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:51 am I’m a volunteer EMR on our fire department. The paramedics all seem to be young. There seems to be a lot of turnover despite the good pay. I also know quite a few people who “used to be” paramedics. More than any other profession.

Think about why so many people leave that field.
Paramedic for two years, military medic for over nine and sorta still counting..... (I actually have my release in to go become a pilot they are requesting all releasing members to stay in and help for now which I will do.)

Its a tough job and requires a certain type of person, civi or military. Here in Ontario the burnout rate is ~5 years, there is the obvious mental health toll it takes on you and a lot of lower back injuries due to always lifting patients as well. Both of these can be prolonged or even eliminated with proper lifting techniques and exercising good physical and mental health routine. I do not know where you are at but you could consider joining the primary reserves it is a pretty good option, pay, paid training, experience and time off.

captainhack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by captainhack »

Hello,

Honestly, with the way this industry is right now, I suggest that you get a diploma in something else while doing your training on the side OR you hold down a secure well paying full-time job in something else while doing your training. I did a college diploma in aviation and a second diploma in a completely unrelated field while doing training and held down a secure job throughout training. It took me 3.5 years by the time I was said and done.

Long story short, two weeks after I finish training, I got a job at a company. A few days into my first job, the company layed me off due to the pandemic we are having right now. Thankfully, I still have a full-time job in a completely unrelated field which keeps my bills paid until this situation clears up.

There is no one way to do it. It is a matter of what you can afford to do in terms of finances, time commitment, etc...

Good luck!

Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gowyn »

Let’s go back thirty five years when I was in your position.

Left high school, went to college for aviation. That year was the first time the colleges went on strike. End of that idea. Life happened.

Luckily got into the Navy, was fun as a young man but couldn’t see it as a family career so did my time and got out. Considered aviation again but decided to go back to school, better career options. Life happened.

After school got hired with the fire department. During that time got my PPL for the “fix.” Life happened.

Now I’m coming up to the end of my career and have decided to go back to my first love. Plan on being an instructor in retirement.

So my point is, no matter which route you take things rarely go according to plan but if you want something bad enough work at it but be prepared for detours. Of the hundred or so people I met along the way to be pilots only a few actually made it.

Do I regret my choices. No way. In the end I’ve had a great career with solid income and pension plus a life. To “make it” in the flying game be prepared to work damn hard and expect set backs.

I take my hat off to the folks who stuck it out, who made many sacrifices along the way both financial and personal to get the dream job but be honest with yourself, learn what that dream job really entails, pretty sure it’s not like the movies. No job ever is.

Except firefighters, we actually do eat that well...haha

Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”