FASTest way to get your PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

FASTest way to get your PPL

Post by Jetking »

Hello my fellow aviation community members!

I know times are now being tough due to whole COVID19 situation, but in a near future I’d like to get it started in a full motion.
I’m still trying to figure out what flight school should I get into in order to get my ppl done and eventually CPL. Just to let ya know that I got that ppl written done.

I would prefer private flight training over those college and university programs because they are more complex and structured with some unnecessary stuff rather than focusing on actual flying part.

The options I’m looking at is preferably staying in Ontario at max I would think of harvs air in Manitoba as I have heard some good things about it.

While choosing a flight school, I definitely wanna focus on better scheduling, good instruction and less cancellations dues to weather and all sorts of things.

Got some ideas? Inputs? Shoutout to future student pilots.
Thanks 🙏
And most importantly STAY SAFE!!!
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: FASTest way to get your PPL

Post by ayseven »

That "unnecessary stuff", fills your head with useless things that you can use to keep yourself and your passengers alive. Oh, and if you want to go to airlines, you will need, whether you like it or not. Flying safely is an attitude, above all.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

With the Air Cadet camps cancelled this year there will be half a dozen flight schools desperate for students and fat on instructors. You should be able to crank out a private at one of those places in 6-8 weeks this summer.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Is it not an option to go back to where you started training? You would have done some flying to be able to write the PPL written.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

I'd say flying 45 hours give or take and doing a flight test.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Be available as much as possible. If you only fly weekends you will take forever to get it done. And on top of that a weekend can be axed easily due to weather. I dont know if your a student off for the summer or a full time worker but that makes a big difference. If you can fly 5 days a week do it, I know as an instructor id be happy to fly with a student 5 days a week. Flying that often helps a lot and keeps costs down. Not going over things as often etc. I have guys who before all of this were doing 4-5 bookings a week working on their CPL. Some weeks they got them all in and others a few were NOGOs due to weather. They were just about to write their exam before all this and were going to be easily signed off by end of June. They started around the beginning of March. For a PPL like yourself you gotta make lots of bookings and hope the weather is good. Good job on getting the written done that saves time! As for a flight school go talk to them. Tell them your plan and see what they say. If they lay out an organized plan thats what you want to see. Remember your the customer, make sure your happy with it. I prefer a smaller flight school because its not as much bureaucracy. Not to say big ones like Harvs are bad; I did my CPL Groundschool with them. PM me if you got questions. I know I said a lot lol.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

That is excellent advice.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Still plenty of schools open in the US if you're interested. Some testing centers there are too. You can still cross the border for something like that.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Book off 5 weeks, have your medical done prior, take online groundschools, prebook exams, and a pilot examiner at the end...... fly every day for a month, sometimes twice a day. Unless you're a total wreck, you should be done in 50 hrs(don't let the flightschool insist you need extra training) "a certain place had a guy do 90 hrs for a rec license, withheld ptr's(it is your/tc property) and their dfte would "down students to get more money" (rerides)

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

rigpiggy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 am Book off 5 weeks, have your medical done prior, take online groundschools, prebook exams, and a pilot examiner at the end...... fly every day for a month, sometimes twice a day. Unless you're a total wreck, you should be done in 50 hrs(don't let the flightschool insist you need extra training) "a certain place had a guy do 90 hrs for a rec license, withheld ptr's(it is your/tc property) and their dfte would "down students to get more money" (rerides)
+1

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Still plenty of schools open in the US if you're interested. Some testing centers there are too. You can still cross the border for something like that.
Or, if you're Canadian, you can take your training in Canada, and contribute to the Canadian aviation industry.

"Fastest Way" and "Cheapest way" are two things which make me uneasy when applied to discussions of flight training. When you complete a fast and cheap PPL course, you can earn a PPL while knowing about 30% of what you really need to know to be a safe new pilot. If you train at a suitable and thorough pace, you'll get your PPL knowing 45% of what you should know to be a safe new PPL. If you seek out extra training and experience (and willingly pay for it) during your PPL course, you might earn your PPL knowing 60% of what would make you safe. CPL training after PPL will help, though there will still be experience gaps, until you get out on your own for a few hundred hours.

Sure, take 5 weeks off, and devote yourself, an excellent way to learn and retain. For certain, preventing lulls in your training will make you a better pilot, and save you money. But don't rush it, and overlook training you deem to be un-necessary. A PPL is a stepping stone to learning to fly safely. Do not think that once you have a PPL, you're a safe and experienced pilot, you simply met the minimum standard....

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetking »

Being a Canadian, of course I will support Canadian rather local economy, and less paperwork interns of faa license to tc conversion.
I know that you’re experienced aviation rep, would you be able to advise or name schools mean privately training schools where I should get the bookings done so I can get it started as soon as this crap of corona virus is over?

Or anyone else would like to state out pros and cons of specific flight schools across Ontario?

quote=PilotDAR post_id=1114133 time=1587618159 user_id=39402]
Or, if you're Canadian, you can take your training in Canada, and contribute to the Canadian aviation industry.

"Fastest Way" and "Cheapest way" are two things which make me uneasy when applied to discussions of flight training. When you complete a fast and cheap PPL course, you can earn a PPL while knowing about 30% of what you really need to know to be a safe new pilot. If you train at a suitable and thorough pace, you'll get your PPL knowing 45% of what you should know to be a safe new PPL. If you seek out extra training and experience (and willingly pay for it) during your PPL course, you might earn your PPL knowing 60% of what would make you safe. CPL training after PPL will help, though there will still be experience gaps, until you get out on your own for a few hundred hours.

Sure, take 5 weeks off, and devote yourself, an excellent way to learn and retain. For certain, preventing lulls in your training will make you a better pilot, and save you money. But don't rush it, and overlook training you deem to be un-necessary. A PPL is a stepping stone to learning to fly safely. Do not think that once you have a PPL, you're a safe and experienced pilot, you simply met the minimum standard....
[/quote]

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:02 pm

I don't disagree with you in the least bit. However, he asked for the fastest way and which schools other than private instructors, are open in Canada right now? He asked for the fastest way and that is it for the time being.

If you wanted to wait a bit, I'd personally go to Estavan or Med Hat where the weather is frequently good, and the schools are willing to provide accelerated instruction. On that bit, I know both schools provide quality instruction.

Lloyd is another good option. Great school and solid owner, but the weather isn't usually as favorable as the other two options.

If you want to stay in Ontario, St. Thomas is a solid small flight school. The big names (Brampton, WWFC, etc), are good schools, but lack the capacity to train you at the speed you would like. If you buy or lease a plane, there are a number of great private instructors that I'm sure would be interested that I know of.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Cessna 180 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:48 pm Still plenty of schools open in the US if you're interested. Some testing centers there are too. You can still cross the border for something like that.
What? good luck with that. I don't see how getting a ppl is "essential".

Return to “Flight Training”