Temporary Exception - reduced flight hours req'd for written tests

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Temporary Exception - reduced flight hours req'd for written tests

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Wanted to share these two links below to those who haven't heard...

https://hngr-ppl.s3.amazonaws.com/RDIMS ... (1)(A).pdf
https://www.facebook.com/harvsair/posts ... 9129844929

Essentially, you now temporarily only need 25% of the flight hours to write the written for the appropriate license.
PPL - 5
CPL - 50
ATPL - 375

It's also allowing CPL/ATPL/FI candidates to write the exam even with an expired Cat 1 medical (essentially a Cat 3). The validity dates don't match between the two sources.... PDF says til end of August, Harvs says til Nov. 13.

Now, if only TC exam centres were actually open...
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Temporary Exception - reduced flight hours req'd for written tests

Post by 7ECA »

The document appears to only apply for candidates sitting CPL, ATPL, or FI exams - and only applies to medical validity for sitting an exam. Doesn't mention PPL. Also, that document cannot be found on Transport Canada's COVID-19 measures, updated, and guidance site. Which seems a bit odd...

There's no mention at all of allowing candidates to sit exams with reduced hour requirements, other than the Harv's Air post online. Where's the TC document to back that up?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Well this is bullshit.

"Consequently,most Civil Aviation Medical Examiners have temporarily closed their offices thus rendering the ability to undergo Civil Aviation medical examinations unavailable."

No, actually, the reason nobody can get a medical is *not* because medical examiners have closed their offices, it's because Transport Canada has banned the carrying out of medical exams:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... cates.html
IIn summary: Civil Aviation Medical Examiners are not to perform aviation medical examinations on behalf of Transport Canada until further notice, unless authorized by Civil Aviation Medicine due to exceptional circumstances"
Secondly, nobody can take a TC written exam because all the exam centres are closed: so how does it possibly help to have a reduced hours or medical requirement?

Colour me stupid, but I confess to being completely naive in expecting some kind of joined-up government here.

And Harv's air (or someone) is either on the happy gas again, or they've posted the wrong document, because the link they post has no bearing on what they say on Facebook.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

I read the post more as a preemptive message when TC exam centres eventually open up. I'd imagine the Atlantic & Prairie regional offices should be opening up in a month or so (says my crystal ball), while ON and QC lag quite a bit behind, given the Covid cases. That, or maybe Harv's is really full of it.

Also, the PDF was from an email from Hangaaar, not Harv's. I should've mentioned that they are not meant to be related... hence, now the realization on why the validity dates do not match.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

7ECA wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:28 pm The document appears to only apply for candidates sitting CPL, ATPL, or FI exams - and only applies to medical validity for sitting an exam. Doesn't mention PPL. Also, that document cannot be found on Transport Canada's COVID-19 measures, updated, and guidance site. Which seems a bit odd...

There's no mention at all of allowing candidates to sit exams with reduced hour requirements, other than the Harv's Air post online. Where's the TC document to back that up?
https://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/regs ... n/3281.htm

The purpose of this exemption is to allow candidates for the Pilot Permit – Gyroplane, Pilot Permit – Recreational - Aeroplane and the Private Pilot Licence to attempt the written examinations with at least 5 hours of total flight experience as well as allowing all other candidates to attempt the written examinations with only 25% of the total flight experience for the issuance of a permit, licence or rating for a period of 6 months, as a temporary measure.
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:
(a) November 13, 2020 at 23:59 (EDT); or
(b) The date on which the exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

What about schools that are able to conduct the exams at their own premises? You'd think that with some provinces reopening that might make this possible?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Are there schools that conduct exams other than the PSTAR?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

photofly wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:45 am Are there schools that conduct exams other than the PSTAR?
Yes, there are schools that have the authorization to conduct PPL and CPL exams. Waterloo is one of them.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Also just received notice from TC that the Toronto office is moving to require appointments for exams after they re-open.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

photofly wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:45 am Are there schools that conduct exams other than the PSTAR?
A fair few of them, actually... A little flight school I worked at in Kamloops had the facility about 8 months after we started. Most flight schools larger than 3-4 airplanes seem to have them for sure. My understanding is that you're able to write what I would like to think of as "non-professional" exams - so that's all the Pilot Permits - UPP, RPP, Gryoplane and the PPL exam (and possibly the Glider as well, but I don't remember now.)

To write the INRAT, IATRA, CPAER, SARON/SAMRA and the Instructor Exams, you had to go to the nearest TC center.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Do they have to have the computer system? Or do they write them on paper? Who marks them?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

As I recall, the PSTAR was done on paper and then marked with the old transparency over the answer sheet trick. The PPL exam was done on a "special" laptop, and was automatically marked when you hit complete. Both exams were done at an FTU.

As an aside, I remember hearing of an FTU that lost their exam privileges when TC audited them after students consistently got high marks. Apparently the owner liked to drop in on students sitting exams...

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Who on earth would write their ATPL exams with 375 hours? Like you might as well get somewhat close to your 1500 TT and the breakdown before you write. You only got 24 months.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Aviatard wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:53 am Also just received notice from TC that the Toronto office is moving to require appointments for exams after they re-open.
Thats the only way to book for the Edmonton office. Too bad you cant just walk in anymore that must of been nice!

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

photofly wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:54 pm Do they have to have the computer system? Or do they write them on paper? Who marks them?
You need to have a computer that runs Windows XP (yeah, it was the case until at least 2017! Not sure if TC has updated their stuff yet!) and it should connect to the internet, but blocked from being able to browse the internet. Also, the room had to have a camera monitoring the exam computer or must have a window that the Authorized Exam Invigilator (AEI) can monitor easily enough, but not be distracting to the examinee.

EDIT: Managed to pull up the latest issue of the AEI guide and it looks like they have "upgraded" the requirements to Windows 7 computer! :roll:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... 0-004.html

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

XP? Wow, that's really modern. I'm pretty sure my CPL exam (done at the Abbotsford office) was on a system running 95 - at best.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

7ECA wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:40 pm XP? Wow, that's really modern. I'm pretty sure my CPL exam (done at the Abbotsford office) was on a system running 95 - at best.
I can second that. The Edmonton office for my exams was pre historic hardware. At least it didn't crash on me :D

shivampatel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shivampatel »

Did my PPL written exam in the GTA back in 2016, computer was running Windows XP and the monitor was one of those white colored square bulky ones haha

Return to “Flight Training”