Aviation Degree Yes/No?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Aviation Degree Yes/No?

Post by ayseven »

Hi Mr Airway,
You implied that I said (say that 5 times fast...) that you said... (this is silly), that because you worked for an airline, you did not know how hard it was to get into an airline. I did not say, or mean to imply, that. Now, who is on first?
---------- ADS -----------

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

pelmet wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:10 pm I probably wouldn't have said this 4 months ago but in reality, I think it should be said. Piloting is a bad career to get into if you want job stability. Every ten years there is an economic slowdown. Early '90's, early 2000's(after 9/11),, 2010 area during the great recession, and now the worst one of all that is affecting even hugely senior people and shutting down major airlines around the world. No doubt, there will be another one in a decade or so and it also turns out that there is a major virus every decade or so. Swine flu, SARS, H1N1, and apparently there was a bad one in 1968 and decades before)....and now the precedent for economic shutdown has been set.

If you had become a doctor instead, probably there would never have been an overall industry issue. I'm sure there are other more stable fields as well.
Agreed. I think alot of younger pilots are figuring this out the hard way right now. That's why a side business or other employable skill is so important to ride out the slow times in this business.

Mariokart
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mariokart »

No

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 am The best way to learn how to fly is do aerobatics

The best way to learn how to be an airline pilot is go directly to Jazz

Sad
That took 11 minutes to post some sort of denigrating comment. Congratulations.

Given that one is going to be spending money building flying time, why not do an aerobatics rating as part of that? The incremental financial cost is small; the benefit is huge. But you have probably never done aerobatics or upset recovery so you wouldn't know.

Do you have something against Jazz? If one's objective is to fly in the airlines (as I assuming the originator of this thread's intention) I can think of no better place to start. Excellent training, a wide route structure, excellent aircraft, etc. Or are you one of these people that thinks one has to "pay their dues" flying for two bit outfits up north? Regardless, I am offering suggestions to this individual on career paths and options that are available. Your comments add no value to his inquiry.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Given your existing degrees, I don't think that going for an aviation diploma or bachelor's degree will offer you much value for money. You already have impeccable education qualifications. If you still want to enhance those education qualifications with an additional aviation degree, may I suggest a Post-graduate degree from Cranfield or my alma matter- City, University of London which offers modular courses in London, Frankfurt and Dubai in Air Transport Management, Air Safety Management, Aircraft Maintenance Management and Airport Management at pretty competitive tuition rates compared to getting a Post-Graduate degree from a US university. The disadvantage, of course, is the travel costs to take these modules but sometimes you can take a couple of modules back to back in one trip across the pond if you plan well (each module takes 3 days).

Otherwise, though, I think you should concentrate on your flight training and licensure over this period- that will soak up a fair amount of your finances for the time being. And then get ready for when the economy and air travel demand recovers.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Panama Jack wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:56 am Given your existing degrees, I don't think that going for an aviation diploma or bachelor's degree will offer you much value for money. You already have impeccable education qualifications. If you still want to enhance those education qualifications with an additional aviation degree, may I suggest a Post-graduate degree from Cranfield or my alma matter- City, University of London which offers modular courses in London, Frankfurt and Dubai in Air Transport Management, Air Safety Management, Aircraft Maintenance Management and Airport Management at pretty competitive tuition rates compared to getting a Post-Graduate degree from a US university. The disadvantage, of course, is the travel costs to take these modules but sometimes you can take a couple of modules back to back in one trip across the pond if you plan well (each module takes 3 days).

Otherwise, though, I think you should concentrate on your flight training and licensure over this period- that will soak up a fair amount of your finances for the time being. And then get ready for when the economy and air travel demand recovers.
This program will likely not help him in a flying career. He already has a Masters Degree. If a airline requires a Bachelors Degree, I have never seen it specified that it has to be an Aviation Degree (maybe somebody could share if they have seen that). If he wants to spend 2 more years at school, it would be much better to take one of the 2 year Aviation Diploma programs that the regional airlines hire directly from. Or apparently, Seneca College's 8 month Airline Pilot Flight Operations Graduate Certificate (L39Guy says Jazz was hiring directly from this program).

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I am bit familiar with some US universities. Their “aviation degrees”, from what I have experienced are more geared towards students going on to design or manufacturing jobs. Aerospace medicine, or corporate work. Not really geared to enhance the knowledge necessary to fly, other than it demonstrates that a graduate can finish things, is a bit more mature, and can maybe read and comprehend.

Canada seems a bit different, though my only experience has been seeing the research projects, or term papers from a few students.

Can someone post here, the core and elective classes of a typical Canadian University offering an aviation degree. It would be great to see how they actually enhance being a pilot.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

trey kule wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:12 am I am bit familiar with some US universities. Their “aviation degrees”, from what I have experienced are more geared towards students going on to design or manufacturing jobs. Aerospace medicine, or corporate work. Not really geared to enhance the knowledge necessary to fly, other than it demonstrates that a graduate can finish things, is a bit more mature, and can maybe read and comprehend.

Canada seems a bit different, though my only experience has been seeing the research projects, or term papers from a few students.

Can someone post here, the core and elective classes of a typical Canadian University offering an aviation degree. It would be great to see how they actually enhance being a pilot.
A lot of these aviation diplomas in Canada are kinda silly to be honest. Like a lot of them its just a PPL, CPL, and IFR ground school with a bunch of extras that make it seem worth it. An voila you have an Aviation Diploma / Degree. There are some others others that give you credit for flight licenses like MacEwan in Edmonton but its also a business diploma, major in aviation. Don't get me wrong, there are some outliers that are good. I know this will piss off a lot of people but that is just my 2 cents. Its a check mark for the airlines.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

When I got my first 703 job, they listed a post-secondary degree as a desirable asset, but during the interview it didn't seem to matter to them. I had years of work experience in various fields before starting my career as a pilot, so maybe they thought I was "mature" or whatever.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “Flight Training”