Anyone who went to Moncton Flight College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotStudy55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Anyone who went to Moncton Flight College

Post by PilotStudy55 »

Hello Everybody,

New to this forum-- I'm a 25 year old aspiring pilot from Nova Scotia who has been weighing flight school options across the country. I'm currently working in Alberta to try to pay down some of the costs that I will incur and I was wondering to hear from those who have experience at Moncton Flight College as I have applied there.

I gather they have a strong reputation, large, maintained fleet, lots of students eager to attend despite their 4 seasons of weather. According to their site and form I have received, they offer 3 integrated programs. Basically a Frozen ATPL course for 61k, one WITHOUT the ATPL course & a week of flying for 5k (which I inquired to do, although I was told they no longer offer this option and that I ought to aim for the 61K) and one with PPL, CPL and Multi Engine for 47K I believe.

I didn't like the fact that they outlined an option that I feel would best suite my budget and they reneged that I (or anyone else) were able to go that route. Their reasoning was it used to be for instructors but Transport Canada amended something so they rarely have students end early (for 54K). It was basically, well since you're in it this far, may as well continue to get more ground school... Modular is out of the question at Moncton I was told as well.

It does seem like spending this additional money is basically for coursework/lecture hours seems to be a marketing gimmick since you can say you have a "frozen ATPL" which I'm aware isn't a factor in Canada--especially since I'm still 300-1300 hours short. Everyone else who becomes a pilot obviously completes this on his/her own time without having to do a "Frozen ATPL". It's a race to a halt in my mind. Seems to me that smaller carriers/medevacs only really go with you when you're at 500+ hours now (and times are good). So what's the benefit of writing a test now with a measly 200 hours to my name? (+) Studying across years and using loads of textbooks, Youtube, online academies seems better than spending an additional 7,000 for 4 weeks.

My debacle is wondering if it is still worth it given the reputation, structure, training and 'getting all the training done'--or, I should seek something cheaper and put my head down and study my ass off.

Also wanted to write this as if it is a good idea to 'hurry' to complete training like in MFCs 12 month program as it might take a little bit for airlines to get up and going again. Would love to hear if you think the ATPL programmes are worth it, or a scam; If you have gone to MFC and loved it, or wished you had done training otherwise; if you recommend training at a place you thought was superb & as I've read, if you think MFC has gone Money hungry (they raised this ATPL programme cost $9,000 in the last two years and accept a majority of internationals) or not.

Thanks for reading, would love to hear your thoughts on this. I appreciate it.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

OldTracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Anyone who went to Moncton Flight College

Post by OldTracker »

Haven't been to Moncton but I know the college has been talked about here. Try this. http://avcanada.ca/forums2/search.php?k ... d%5B0%5D=3

PilotStudy55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PilotStudy55 »

Thanks! I have tried that was just looking for some other inputs of late.

Cheers/Matt

Sweeeet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sweeeet »

Hey Matt, wondering if you went with MFC as I’m going through what you did a year ago now. Going through the forum and doing my research about MFC. I’d appreciate if you can give me some insight! Cheers

Marissa r
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Marissa r »

PilotStudy55 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 pm Hello Everybody,

New to this forum-- I'm a 25 year old aspiring pilot from Nova Scotia who has been weighing flight school options across the country. I'm currently working in Alberta to try to pay down some of the costs that I will incur and I was wondering to hear from those who have experience at Moncton Flight College as I have applied there.

I gather they have a strong reputation, large, maintained fleet, lots of students eager to attend despite their 4 seasons of weather. According to their site and form I have received, they offer 3 integrated programs. Basically a Frozen ATPL course for 61k, one WITHOUT the ATPL course & a week of flying for 5k (which I inquired to do, although I was told they no longer offer this option and that I ought to aim for the 61K) and one with PPL, CPL and Multi Engine for 47K I believe.

I didn't like the fact that they outlined an option that I feel would best suite my budget and they reneged that I (or anyone else) were able to go that route. Their reasoning was it used to be for instructors but Transport Canada amended something so they rarely have students end early (for 54K). It was basically, well since you're in it this far, may as well continue to get more ground school... Modular is out of the question at Moncton I was told as well.

It does seem like spending this additional money is basically for coursework/lecture hours seems to be a marketing gimmick since you can say you have a "frozen ATPL" which I'm aware isn't a factor in Canada--especially since I'm still 300-1300 hours short. Everyone else who becomes a pilot obviously completes this on his/her own time without having to do a "Frozen ATPL". It's a race to a halt in my mind. Seems to me that smaller carriers/medevacs only really go with you when you're at 500+ hours now (and times are good). So what's the benefit of writing a test now with a measly 200 hours to my name? (+) Studying across years and using loads of textbooks, Youtube, online academies seems better than spending an additional 7,000 for 4 weeks.

My debacle is wondering if it is still worth it given the reputation, structure, training and 'getting all the training done'--or, I should seek something cheaper and put my head down and study my ass off.

Also wanted to write this as if it is a good idea to 'hurry' to complete training like in MFCs 12 month program as it might take a little bit for airlines to get up and going again. Would love to hear if you think the ATPL programmes are worth it, or a scam; If you have gone to MFC and loved it, or wished you had done training otherwise; if you recommend training at a place you thought was superb & as I've read, if you think MFC has gone Money hungry (they raised this ATPL programme cost $9,000 in the last two years and accept a majority of internationals) or not.

Cheers

Hello,
I know this was post in 2020; but I’m a student at MFC. I’m currently doing the 12 month ICPC course. After reading though your comment, these courses aren’t a scam, they offer all the exams one will need, the cost isn’t cheap due to many reasons. Modular training is there to go at your own pace (it works around your schedule) plus it’s cheaper than going into a program, maybe not in the long the long run? But if you’re wanting to go into a program it’s probably the better choice:)

nstownie181
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nstownie181 »

Marissa r wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:06 pm
PilotStudy55 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 pm Hello Everybody,

Cheers

Hello,
I know this was post in 2020; but I’m a student at MFC. I’m currently doing the 12 month ICPC course. After reading though your comment, these courses aren’t a scam, they offer all the exams one will need, the cost isn’t cheap due to many reasons. Modular training is there to go at your own pace (it works around your schedule) plus it’s cheaper than going into a program, maybe not in the long the long run? But if you’re wanting to go into a program it’s probably the better choice:)

Hi Marissa,

Please forgive me if this is not the proper means of asking questions... Im new to these forums!!

Im a 26yr old living in Nova Scotia and am strongly considering the ICPC course at MFC. Would love to hear more about your experience there at MFC, specifically regarding the ICPC program! I do not have any previous flight experience, but given that I already have a Bachelors Degree, the ICPC course seems to be a great fit for me.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Return to “Flight Training”