Float Plane In South Western Ontario

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

BigBeautifulRadials
Rank 0
Rank 0

Float Plane In South Western Ontario

Post by BigBeautifulRadials »

Hey Guys,
Im looking to rent a float plane during Covid to get my float rating(I've found an guy willing to do my training) and rent block time after to build experience, from someone in south western Ontario. If you know anybody or any place that i might be able to rent something please let me know. Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Float Plane In South Western Ontario

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Radials,

I've looked at something like this, but not too much yet, as I'm still halfway through PPL training on my way to a CPL, currently training out of YTZ. From what I've learned, it's really hard to find someone willing to rent/lease a floatplane to a student (and with good reason, if you read accident reports). Before Covid, I was hoping to finish my float rating sometime early this summer, with CPL and more float training to follow elsewhere.

If you do find something, give me a shout. I'm GTA but southwestern ON is easily doable for me. I've personally looked at a few operators in the Georgian Bay/Sudbury area but if I can find a way to keep my costs down, great. I'd love to share it with someone, too.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
BigBeautifulRadials
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BigBeautifulRadials »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:21 pm Radials,

From what I've learned, it's really hard to find someone willing to rent/lease a floatplane to a student (and with good reason, if you read accident reports). Before Covid, I was hoping to finish my float rating sometime early this summer, with CPL and more float training to follow elsewhere.

If you do find something, give me a shout.
Yea I'm completely aware of the unlikely hood, it's a good sized risk on the owners side, but I'm a commercial pilot with just under 500 hrs and the instructor is a well travelled bush pilot, hopefully enough to reduce the risk. Just trying to be super optimistic and possibly put a dent in some training during these fun fun times. I will definitely pass along anything I find.

Stay safe,
Radials

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A factor in the rarity of floatplanes in southwestern Ontario, is the few suitable lakes in that part of the province. Where there are lakes able to accommodate floatplanes, it is very likely that they are noise sensative, so training there would be unwelcomed. When I inquired just pre covid, Orillia was planning to offer floatplane training, that would be your best route.

Understand that training the skills in the plane is only one aspect of float training. Understanding the environment, and changing conditions is also vital, and generally takes more than the minimum training. It is also very different from wheel flying, so there's not so much carry over from the basic skills - it's a new skill set to learn, don't plane to rush it. Your bush pilot mentor should be able to describe these factors.

Insurance is a challenge. This is a difficult year to obtain new or changed floatplane insurance, as last summer was an unusually high floatplane claims summer.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Orillia (CNJ4) is your best bet for a float rating within a reasonable distance from the GTA. Renting a float plane "dry"; that is with out an instructor, for training to be provided by an "unknown" instructor I'll venture to say will be impossible. I know the trainers very well at CNJ4, all very qualified pilot, the training will be excellent and post rating they will in addition allow solo rentals with conditions.

Kater
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kater »

Check out Elmhirst's Resort on Rice Lake. I did my rating there and it was relatively inexpensive. The instructor had a plethora of experience.

Return to “Flight Training”