Integrated vs. Modular (What would you do?)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotStudy55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Integrated vs. Modular (What would you do?)

Post by PilotStudy55 »

Hello AvCanada,

I am new on here but was hoping to get some opinions (expert or not ha)

I am wondering if I should go the integrated route or the modular route--I have broken down the pros and cons to ad nauseam. However, since these are unprecedented times, I was wondering what you would recommend an aspiring aviator like myself (or, what are you planning on doing if you have yet to undergo studies). Pay loads up front to finish in ~18 months or study steadily, with a "hometown" club with a 2-3 year window. In addition to the pros and cons we can imagine in both methods of study, I am solely concerned due to the set back the industry has felt (and continues to feel) and an almost inevitable recession that will undoubtedly be worse than the last.

It is certainly a high risk/high reward-low risk/low reward scenario. Either way, I'm eager to begin & eager to hear your thoughts

About myself, I have some graduate study, a BSc, am 25 (soon to be 26), no flight experience (though been studying 'From the Ground Up' and helpful channels steadily haha).

All the best fellas/ladies,

Matt
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Integrated vs. Modular (What would you do?)

Post by lownslow »

Integrated if you can get into one of the subsidized courses, hometown flight school if you can’t.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Modular if you can do it quick, since you already have a Bsc

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Modular because given that everything is up in the air right now, you might not need a multi IFR right out of the gate... So a single engine VFR CPL might get you in the door with a survey operator or doing a flight instructor dressing might get you into a flight school. With an integrated course, you're bound into getting the IFR (there is a VFR integrated course but not sure how commonly available that is...) and end up not using it for a couple years or more... Depending on how rusty you get, it will cost you more money again to renew it.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

You already have a degree and modular is faster.

PilotStudy55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PilotStudy55 »

Thank you all for your advice! Much appreciated

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm not sure what's going on but...

Never pay loads up front.

Pay for each lesson after you get back.

Return to “Flight Training”