Lost Logbook & PTR (25 year gap)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Tiberius
Rank 1
Rank 1

Lost Logbook & PTR (25 year gap)

Post by Tiberius »

Hello,

So I did some training back in the 90’s. I got midway through my PPL, but I had to pull out do to a serious medical situation at the time. 25 years later, I’m in better health and would like to get into flying for recreation.

Only thing is I’ve since lost my logbook and PTR which I took with me immediately after leaving the school. Given that presumably I would start over training from scratch, do I start from 0 hours, or do carry forward my previous hours? If the latter, what would be the process of securing that documentation? Also, I’m wondering how many hours do I put on the application of medical certification? (I’m not sure if they still ask for that)

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Lost Logbook & PTR (25 year gap)

Post by photofly »

In the grander scheme of things, half a PPL is too few hours to care about. But there is a process to swear out an affidavit so you can include those hours in your totals:
421.08 Personal Logs
(amended 1999/03/01)

(1) Loss of Personal Log
An applicant for a flight crew permit, licence or rating who is unable to provide proof of flying experience by means of a personal log, due to extenuating circumstances such as the loss of records through fire, theft or other similar cause, may submit an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths, to the Minister.

(a) The affidavit or declaration shall contain a breakdown of flying experience claimed, appropriate to the permit, licence or rating applied for and shall include the following details:
(i) hours flown by day and by night on single and multi-engine aircraft as pilot-in-command, co-pilot and dual;
(ii) hours flown cross-country by day and by night as pilot-in-command, co-pilot and dual;
(iii) hours of instrument flight time and approved instrument ground trainer time;
(iv) aircraft types and registrations; and
(v) where applicable, names of employers and dates of employment.
(b) The affidavit or declaration shall contain an explanation of the circumstances which prevented the submission of a personal log and a statement declaring that all attempts to reproduce and certify entries in a personal log have been unsuccessful.
(c) Wherever practicable, the applicant shall obtain corroborating evidence, such as copies of journey log book entries.
(d) Affidavits or Statutory Declarations submitted without corroborating evidence shall not be accepted by the Minister as evidence of flying experience beyond that required for the issue of a Commercial Pilot Licence.
(e) The applicant shall, in addition, successfully complete all examinations and tests required for the permit, licence or rating applied for.
There's even a form you can fill in and take to a notary public, somwhere on the TC website. I can't put my finger on it right now.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Lost Logbook & PTR (25 year gap)

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

From the Canadian Aviation Regulations

421.08 Personal Logs
(amended 1999/03/01)

(1) Loss of Personal Log
An applicant for a flight crew permit, licence or rating who is unable to provide proof of flying experience by means of a personal log, due to extenuating circumstances such as the loss of records through fire, theft or other similar cause, may submit an Affidavit or Statutory Declaration sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths, to the Minister.

(a) The affidavit or declaration shall contain a breakdown of flying experience claimed, appropriate to the permit, licence or rating applied for and shall include the following details:
(i) hours flown by day and by night on single and multi-engine aircraft as pilot-in-command, co-pilot and dual;
(ii) hours flown cross-country by day and by night as pilot-in-command, co-pilot and dual;
(iii) hours of instrument flight time and approved instrument ground trainer time;
(iv) aircraft types and registrations; and
(v) where applicable, names of employers and dates of employment.
(b) The affidavit or declaration shall contain an explanation of the circumstances which prevented the submission of a personal log and a statement declaring that all attempts to reproduce and certify entries in a personal log have been unsuccessful.
(c) Wherever practicable, the applicant shall obtain corroborating evidence, such as copies of journey log book entries.
(d) Affidavits or Statutory Declarations submitted without corroborating evidence shall not be accepted by the Minister as evidence of flying experience beyond that required for the issue of a Commercial Pilot Licence.
(e) The applicant shall, in addition, successfully complete all examinations and tests required for the permit, licence or rating applied for.

Return to “Flight Training”