Do ATPL Exams Written = IATRA?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Do ATPL Exams Written = IATRA?

Post by 780Pilot »

Or am I just dead wrong. Let me know.
---------- ADS -----------

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Do ATPL Exams Written = IATRA?

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

No. If you've written you ATPL exams, you don't need the IATRA. But if you have less than 750 hours, you can't write the A's. If you want a multi-crew type rating and you have less than 750 hours, you can write the IATRA to meet the examination requirement.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Yes, for purposes of obtaining a type rating on a 2 crew aeroplane.

No, for purposes of obtaining an ATPL.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:43 pm No. If you've written you ATPL exams, you don't need the IATRA. But if you have less than 750 hours, you can't write the A's. If you want a multi-crew type rating and you have less than 750 hours, you can write the IATRA to meet the examination requirement.
Thx. I would have about 800 ish hours by the time I plan to write it around the beginning of December. Should be all good

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

For anyone who has over 750 hours (375 hours until November 31, 2020) and will be doing a multi-engine PPC, it makes sense to write the SARON and SAMRA as opposed to the IATRA since their PPC will effectively lock in their exams for life. It does take about 2-3 times more studying to get it done but it is worth it IMHO.

COVID Exemption - https://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/regs ... n/3281.htm

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

praveen4143 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:47 pm For anyone who has over 750 hours (375 hours until November 31, 2020) and will be doing a multi-engine PPC, it makes sense to write the SARON and SAMRA as opposed to the IATRA since their PPC will effectively lock in their exams for life. It does take about 2-3 times more studying to get it done but it is worth it IMHO.

COVID Exemption - https://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/regs ... n/3281.htm

Wait, am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?
In order to apply for the ATPL license, you need to have completed the SARON and SAMRA exams within the previous 24 months, and a Group 1 ride within the previous 12 months. Your ATPL exams are never truly locked for life... :?:

Except maybe for the purpose of acquiring a 2 crew type rating? Is that what you meant?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

CAR 400.03:

400.03 (1) Subject to subsection (3), written examinations, including all sections of a sectionalized examination, that are required for the issuance of a permit or licence or for the endorsement of a permit or licence with a rating shall be completed during the 24-month period preceding the date of the application for the permit, licence or rating.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of examinations that are required for the issuance of

(a) a student pilot permit; or

(b) an airline transport pilot licence if examinations were previously written

(i) for the endorsement of a type rating, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the type rating was issued;

(ii) for the issuance of the former senior commercial pilot licence, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the senior commercial pilot licence was issued; or

(iii) for the issuance of an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane, an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane integrated course was successfully completed during the 5-year period preceding the date of the application for the licence and a course completion certificate was issued.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Just to add emphasis to ayseven's post above...
ayseven wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:00 am CAR 400.03:

400.03 (1) Subject to subsection (3), written examinations, including all sections of a sectionalized examination, that are required for the issuance of a permit or licence or for the endorsement of a permit or licence with a rating shall be completed during the 24-month period preceding the date of the application for the permit, licence or rating.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of examinations that are required for the issuance of

(a) a student pilot permit; or

(b) an airline transport pilot licence if examinations were previously written

(i) for the endorsement of a type rating, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the type rating was issued;

(ii) for the issuance of the former senior commercial pilot licence, a mark of 70 per cent or higher was obtained on the examination and the senior commercial pilot licence was issued; or

(iii) for the issuance of an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane, an airline transport pilot licence — aeroplane integrated course was successfully completed during the 5-year period preceding the date of the application for the licence and a course completion certificate was issued.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Well how ‘bout that! I learned something today! Although slightly embarrassed because I really should have known already!

Thanks gents!

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Blackdog0301 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:29 am Well how ‘bout that! I learned something today! Although slightly embarrassed because I really should have known already!

Thanks gents!
I'm sure there's something we all can learn from each other. So no real reason to be embarrassed! :wink:

Return to “Flight Training”