Flight training with masks?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Flight training with masks?

Post by youhavecontrol »

I've never had any issues with the microphone, but I've been using the disposable N95 and surgical masks during flight and not a rubber/sealed canister style mask. I've just kept the mic close between my mouth and the material and it picks up the sound just the same as it does through the foam acoustic baffling. I use a Bose A20 and have had no problems at all.
---------- ADS -----------

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

digits_ wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:31 am Doesn't seem to work in the (noisy) plane I fly. Most pilots at the company -granted, not flight training- seem to put it inside their mask.
Not sure where it falls on the noisy airplane scale, but I was flying a 206 today, with my mask on and microphone outside the cloth mask positioned as per usual and intercom and radio calls seemed to work just fine.

Last edited by praveen4143 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Civic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:31 am So has the green light been given to resume flight training by the government?
It is being dealt with provincially as far as I can see. Alberta has given the green signal to resume flight training and so has BC and MB from what I hear. Anyone else care to chime in with the provinces that they are aware of?

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

Flight training, to the best of my knowledge is a phase 3 item in Ontario. I’ve spoken to multiple CFI’s and work at a flight school in Ontario. I’m unsure how some schools are legally able to open to full on flight training, including dual flights for the purpose of on going training, perhaps they’ve received an exception or I just don’t understand the regulations? I haven’t looked into the regs much as it’s not my call. I can see how rentals are allowed, as it isn’t specifically flight training, so is not directly governed by TC, and can be done solo. Dual on the other hand, not too sure.. Ultimately the call to reopen our school is not up to me, so I’m just sitting around until we personally get the green light.

If I’m wrong in anything I’ve said I’d love to hear the correct info, it just means I’ll be closer to getting back to work.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’d generously put flight training units as “Businesses primarily engaged in providing other personal services”. If I can have a session with my fitness trainer in Ontario, which I can, and if I can now take a road driving test in Ontario, which I can, then let someone argue I can’t have a flying lesson.

If that’s incorrect then it will be up to the local public health unit to weigh in, and I can’t see that that would be their priority right now.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

There's nothing the province can do to stop a flight training unit from opening. In fact, they never had to close. They're federally regulated, like an airline. Flight schools all around Ontario are opening (or are already open).

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Not true. Ontario׳s Emergency Management and Civil Protections Act - which is being used -give the province the power to close any business premises they wish. Specifically:
Under s. 7.0.2(4) of the EMCPA, Cabinet may, among other things:

“[r]egulat[e] or prohibit[] travel or movement to, from or within any specified area” (s. 7.0.2(4)2);
“[e]stablish[] facilities for the care, welfare, safety and shelter of individuals, including emergency shelters and hospitals” (s. 7.0.2(4)4);
“[c]los[e] any place, whether public or private, including any business, office, school, hospital or other establishment or institution” (s. 7.0.2(4)5);
The flight training part Is federally regulated, but you can’t train people if your premises are shut by law. More generally, although flight training is federally regulated, not every aspect of an FTU is outside the province’s reach: employment law, business registration, sales tax, health and safety, are all within the province’s jurisdiction.

The full act is here:
https://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/stat/ ... -c-e9.html

It’s actually the federal government that has no power to close an FTU for health reasons.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

photofly wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:04 am An exhale valve is exactly what you don’t want. Masks are typically designed to filter inbound air, and if that’s what you want then an exhale valve makes perfect sense. If you are protecting yourself from particulates in the air it makes no sense to filter when you breathe out.

But with COVID-19 you are trying to prevent droplets generated in your mouth and lungs spraying out when you breathe out. So you need filtration for the out-breaths. That would be defeated by an exhale valve.
Quite true - but if my glasses fog up wearing a mask without a valve, my breath must therefore be going out the top of the mask to some extent regardless. One could say that fog on your glasses is also proof that the mask is ineffective, and the valve simply redirects the flow away from the eyes, and the valve would still limit the velocity and range of exhaled droplets.

It's not my glasses fogging up that I'm concerned about - I wear contacts while flying, generally. It's finding one that I can comfortably wear (read: one that doesn't hurt me) for hours at a time. I actually haven't tried cloth masks yet, I haven't found one that fits. I have a couple that are made from old donated medical scrubs and pinch around the nose quite well, but still, a bit too small for me, and they do fog up my glasses. I'm still looking.

Now, if both occupants were wearing masks with exhale valves they would still serve their intended purpose I think. They're tough to find though. The cabin would still need to be disinfected, however I assume that is already a normal procedure now.

I've worn plenty of respirators before, but of course, they were all designed to keep nasty stuff from coming in, and all had adjustable rubber straps. They're a bit much for flight training methinks. No issue with an O2 mask - those have exhale valves, and are only designed to be used for 15 minutes or so.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:35 pm Quite true - but if my glasses fog up wearing a mask without a valve, my breath must therefore be going out the top of the mask to some extent regardless. One could say that fog on your glasses is also proof that the mask is ineffective, and the valve simply redirects the flow away from the eyes, and the valve would still limit the velocity and range of exhaled droplets.
Quoted from Health Canada - “Masks with exhalation valves are not recommended, because they don't protect others from COVID-19 and don't limit the spread of the virus.

Link - https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... rings.html

Transjet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Transjet »

I've found its easiest to not live in fear of something that has a death rate of less 1% and don't wear a mask.

koto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by koto »

I had my first lesson since my flight school opened on Sunday. Instructor and I both wore masks and I had sunglasses on too. I also have a larger head and had zero issues. I just wore a disposable surgical mask. Was I very happy to take it off after about 2 hours of wearing it? Absolutely! But it meant that I could fly again so it was well worth it.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Transjet wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm I've found its easiest to not live in fear of something that has a death rate of less 1% and don't wear a mask.
Where did you get that 1 % death rate from ?

10 million infections 500,000 deaths from Reuters might indicate 1% is not accurate . Many of those who have recovered are not in good health after the infection , due to organ damage . Thirty percent of those in ICUs now under forty . So if you think this disease is just a granny killer , think again . Pay attention , according to the WHO it is only getting started , the worse is yet to come .

Anyone know what the size of COVID 19 virus is ?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Transjet wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm I've found its easiest to not live in fear of something that has a death rate of less 1% and don't wear a mask.
You may find it's easiest to be told not to bother turning up for lessons then :-)

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

praveen4143 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:49 am Quoted from Health Canada - “Masks with exhalation valves are not recommended, because they don't protect others from COVID-19 and don't limit the spread of the virus.
Link - https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... rings.html
Ah yes, the Appeal To Authority argument. This is the same agency that, until April, incredulously recommended we all not wear masks of any kind. So while I'll take what they say into consideration, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Using an exhalation valve is no worse than using a mask that doesn't seal around the nose (which in my experience, is all of them, if the fog on my glasses is any indicator), and vastly better than wearing a mask and not covering your nose, which I see everywhere (and I wear glasses, so I get why people do it - it's better than nothing), in my admittedly uninformed opinion. Beyond that, I have my doubts regarding the effectiveness of masks after two hours in such an enclosed space with so little air circulation, and where you cannot avoid touching the same controls and checklists sooner or later. I'll wear one regardless, even if only to assuage the fears of others, and of course, I may be wrong in my suspicion that masks aren't effective in a flight training environment.

All that said, it's a non-issue regardless, at least for me - I just wear contacts. Bingo bango bongo, no issue with fog on my glasses. But the issue of the masks being painful persists. Wearing a mask for half an hour in a grocery store or DMV lineup is not an issue for me. But during a two hour flight, they become quite painful for me. Not just sore ears - downright painful. I'm still searching for something that works for me.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

My wife sewed me a pair of cotton masks, with straps that you can tie behind your head. Since they don't clamp to the back of your ear and can adjust the tightness of the straps, I find them much better fitting and not as painful as the N95s. I, too, have a big head and can relate to the pain of having to wear ones that strap behind your ear.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Sewn masks? Cloth masks? Maybe we should just pull our shirts up over our faces? Not a fan of a mask and due to what I do as a first responder can not see the benefit of one. Maybe some responsibility on the personal level? If you’re sick don’t get into a confined space with another person. That includes a cold or any other type of illness. Seriously how often do you think anyone cleans those home made jobbies? Or replaces the paper ones? Just like security making you remove your shoes at preboarding. It is theater and a waste of time. And please don’t try to “educate” me on the asymptotic super spreader bull. My last commercial flight in early june westjet made us “wear” masks. But then gave us water bottles and food........... so i slowly sipped my water from Toronto to BC. Absurd. But hey we’re “saving lives”.

Panicdemic in my small survey sample as a first responder.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Ok, as a first responder and an expert on this matter, you've convinced me that my cloth mask (and all masks of any nature, actually) are useless.

I will now stop wearing masks and not buy into the panicdemic as you called it. Oh, and asymptomatic spread is purely a myth and the world is definitely better if everyone isn't wearing a mask. It's nothing but theatre and a waste of time indeed.

:rolleyes:

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Kejidog wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 pm Not a fan of a mask and due to what I do as a first responder can not see the benefit of one.
What does a first responder do that makes you skeptical of masks?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Kejidog wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 pm Not a fan of a mask and due to what I do as a first responder can not see the benefit of one.
That sounds like a tow-truck driver saying he doesn't believe that brakes in cars are worthwhile because every car he sees at work has been crashed.

Masks, like every other epidemiological response, are probabalistic in nature. if you can reduce the probability of transmission by 15% by wearing a mask - any kind - and the probably of transmission by 17% by staying 6' away from someone, and by 32% by not going out as much as you used to, then you've reduced the probability of transmission by 78%. That can make the difference between exponential growth, and exponential decay.

Every individual who forms their own opinion that "they don't see the benefit" or wants to make a point about how they're braver, smarter, and more in-the-know by not wearing one around others, misses the point. Even if they reduce the risk of transmission by only one half of one percent, that's still worth doing.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Airlines do not require crew to wear masks on the flight deck. Don’t know why they need to be worn during training.

I would be looking for a like-minded instructor who would remove their mask when out of sight of the panicky public.

Return to “Flight Training”