Which Aircraft For PPL and CPL Training?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Which Aircraft For PPL and CPL Training?

Post by photofly »

After exhaustively researching your dream, and still hell bent on ownership, buy a mint 150/152. Spend 50 grand on it if you have to, but make sure it's mint.
Last "mint" 152 I saw advertised was nearly $100k. That's a lot for two seats.
Forget 4 seats. You pay more insurance for 'em.
If you're worried about the insurance (which per seat is actually quite cheap) have the rear seats removed and the logbook endorsed by an AME for flight with a maximum of one passenger. Then you can have it insured as a 2-seater.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

digits_ wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:12 pm
SkySailor wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 pm
4. After exhaustively researching your dream, and still hell bent on ownership, buy a mint 150/152. Spend 50 grand on it if you have to, but make sure it's mint. Mint because you're thinking re-sell. Not an ex-flying club high timer!! The big thing is the engine. IT MUST BE FLOWN REGULARLY!! If it's a pretty paint job owned by an ol' guy who polishes it every month, but hasn't flown it in three years, don't walk. RUN. Forget 4 seats. You pay more insurance for 'em.
poster

A mint one will not stay mint unless you spend a lot of money on it to keep it in mint condition. You'll spend more than you would on an old club high timer.

Buying an old cheap one with faded paint -but safely maintained- will more or less keep its bottom dollar value when you sell it later on.

What you definitely shouldn't do is buy a mint one, let it deteriorate to the old faded state, and still expect to get mint value from it in a sale.
I guess I should have written a book on where I was going with the whole "mint" concept. Your final statement regarding buying mint, letting it rot, and expecting mint dollars is well....... :roll: . I realize AvCanada is a great source of entertainment for ya Digits, but I value my time differently.

Tell ya what.....

Forget I've even posted on this thread. Instead.....
Describe to the original poster, who patiently waits for advice, your experience with aircraft ownership. Describe your make/model. Did you pay a fair price? Have you had any nasty surprises? What has been the average cost for your annuals? What are the insurance costs? (describe what type of coverage) Storage fees (i know, this is a tough one. Try again with more accuracy please). Average hourly cost, not including fuel burn. Average annual amount of flying time you put on it? If you could go back to pre-purchase, would you still do it? If not, why? Would renting/blocktime be a better option?
That's a start.
Your experience in these matters could be informative to anyone considering ownership. So c'mon.....

Bring it.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Only on AvCanada does one find that helping prospective aircraft owners is a competitive sport :-)

$4k is about right for annual maintenance for a small piston single, once you have the kinks worked out; insurance at $2.5k is about right. We've discussed storage costs.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

photofly wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:38 pm
After exhaustively researching your dream, and still hell bent on ownership, buy a mint 150/152. Spend 50 grand on it if you have to, but make sure it's mint.
Last "mint" 152 I saw advertised was nearly $100k. That's a lot for two seats.
Forget 4 seats. You pay more insurance for 'em.
If you're worried about the insurance (which per seat is actually quite cheap) have the rear seats removed and the logbook endorsed by an AME for flight with a maximum of one passenger. Then you can have it insured as a 2-seater.
If the insurance company is agreeable to that, of course. Buy a 172.

Read the list of experiences I posted in my response to Digits, reply with descriptions you have encountered while owning your aircraft.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

PA-22-108 Colt

2017 figures.

Insurance (2 seats): 400.00. This was a "silver Wings" policy from Marsh Canada. it was third party liability, with no "in motion" hull coverage. In other words, I damage A/C under power, it's outta my pocket. There was also coverage for not-in-motion, for example, hail or hanger roof collapse, or someone damages the aircraft through their action. For the policy, I think I valued the aircraft at 15,000 or 20,000

Annual: This is tough, because it fluctuated. Probably between 2000-2500/yr. There are some expenses one can kick down the road, but eventually it'll have to be paid. Fabric condition on the short wings are a going concern.

Hangar/storage: Other than unexpected engine costs, this was my greatest expense. Fabric aircraft are best inside. Especially in southern Ontario during summer. Hail stones can be as large as quarters. Leave it outside during winter with wing covers, but watch the snow load. With some shopping around, eastern Ontario was 125-150/month. Welland ON, 170/month. This was 2017. I doubt that rate could be had now. Recently, I heard short term rates in Brampton (CNC3) were 400/month. Suppose you have a hangar at 150/month. That's 1800/year. If you fly 50 hours a year, that's 36 bucks an hour you can add to all other hourly operating costs.

Wannaflymore-

Search this site for info. There has gotta be tons of info on here. Check into old posts by Hedley/Colonel Sanders. His postings on aircraft ownership and operation are legit. Excellent free advice.

wannaflymore
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wannaflymore »

Wow. I wasn't expecting my post would cause so much trouble. But I understand opinions can be very different sometimes. Thanks a lot guys, I'll try and sort out and process all the info you gave me and hopefully I go with a smart move from there.

Return to “Flight Training”