Need guidance for Instructor Rating in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Dips7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need guidance for Instructor Rating in Canada

Post by Dips7 »

Hey Guys
I have done my FAA CPL last year. I would like to convert it in Canadian and get CFI Rating.
I have shortlisted few schools as per reviews, few student references and fleets.
I am also concerned about getting PGWP after the course and get a job within the school.
I could come to the conclusion that B C and Ontario should be good for training.

Which one is good ?
Proifr, BC
Canadian Flight Centre, BC
Canadian Flight Academy, ON
Brampton, ON
Any other School ?

I would like to know honest opinions and information of following questions -
1. Which school is better in terms of
•Jobs Availability for its own students, Newly trained CFIs are welcomed.
•Weather in terms of doing maximum hours ( VFR)
•Supporting Staff / CFI, Female Instructor Friendly.
• Less crowded with Class 4 instructor, yet has decent number of students.
•Availability of other Part Time job Opportunities
•Good Province to get PR later

I was advised to start with a less crowded Province or School to avoid Competition in the beginning. For example, In a city like Vancouver or Toronto, if I don't get students due to plenty of class 4 instructors in the school, I might struggle to pay the bills and survive.
However student number is also good to such schools right ?
---------- ADS -----------

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Need guidance for Instructor Rating in Canada

Post by 780Pilot »

I can't answer all of your question. However I can speak to a few points. If you have a valid Instructor Rating in general its gold anywhere in Canada, especially in Ontario from what I hear. You should be able to get a job the second you pass the flt test. As for once you get it consider one key thing. How many 172s, how many instructors that work full time? I assume in your case you want to stack hours/bookings so make sure that's an actual possibility. I know for me personally I work at a small flight school in Edmonton AB. Two planes and the CFI, no instructors. So when I came on I had essentially a whole plane to myself and could book tons of students. I currently have about 12 people, a good mix of full and part time students. On the other hand my buddy works at a bigger school in the area and only gets 2 possibly 3 bookings if hes lucky a day. He is competing for plane time with others there. This is very important for you considering your thinking BC or Ontario where its expensive. Funny enough the way things work in Edmonton every single flight school that is here has a massive wait list, especially for a Class 4 Rating. So ill leave recommending schools to others.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

780Pilot wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:22 am I can't answer all of your question. However I can speak to a few points. If you have a valid Instructor Rating in general its gold anywhere in Canada, especially in Ontario from what I hear. You should be able to get a job the second you pass the flt test.
Is that still the case? Even for class 4?

To the OP: in Canada CFI is the acronym for Chief Flight Instructor. Everyone else is just a flight instructor.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Bede wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 am
780Pilot wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:22 am I can't answer all of your question. However I can speak to a few points. If you have a valid Instructor Rating in general its gold anywhere in Canada, especially in Ontario from what I hear. You should be able to get a job the second you pass the flt test.

To the OP: in Canada CFI is the acronym for Chief Flight Instructor. Everyone else is just a flight instructor.
Covid isn't killing the flight schools. They are still adding instructors at least in AB. Some might keep instructing a bit more until they can find a job but regardless turnover is high. I might be wrong but that's what i'm seeing.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Good to hear.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Brampton just hired a few new instructors, too.

I can't speak to the working conditions as an instructor at Brampton, but I can say that it's a pretty professionally and well-run place - but it does get quite busy at times.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Duce Owner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Duce Owner »

Call Sherry Cooper, Skywings Aviation, Penhold Alberta. One of the best, proven flight schools in Canada. You won't regret it. They still have satellite operations in locations other than Red Deer Regional a/p I believe.

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

780Pilot wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 am
Bede wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 am

Covid isn't killing the flight schools. They are still adding instructors at least in AB. Some might keep instructing a bit more until they can find a job but regardless turnover is high. I might be wrong but that's what i'm seeing.
I haven't found the same in Vancouver.

Laid off 705 guy here - renewed my Class 1 a month ago. Did the rounds of all the flight schools in the lower mainland (Vancouver area), and the story I got from most schools is that I am not the only person doing this. They will commit to their alumni first. One CFI said he's had dispatchers turn instructor resumes away at the door. He also said they are going to have to drastically reduce the amount of instructor candidates they hire. The example he used was from 8 candidates they have going right now, they will only pick one to hire - only to still say they hire from within.

There is still a lot of training going on, but there is no instructor turnover and a lot of experienced instructors returning to the role.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

There are also a fair amount of flight schools who don't want 705 guys who are just gotta bolt the second recalls start, even if there past students. No knock against those guys thats just the reality. So the idea that new instructors won't get jobs is false in my opinion.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Since when has a flight instructor - any flight instructor, ever - NOT bolted when a real job turns up?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

780Pilot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm There are also a fair amount of flight schools who don't want 705 guys who are just gotta bolt the second recalls start, even if there past students. No knock against those guys thats just the reality. So the idea that new instructors won't get jobs is false in my opinion.
Or the 705 guy might not be willing to pay for the initial training and license revalidation. The new guy is probably willing to pay for everything, or already has.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

photofly wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:44 pm Since when has a flight instructor - any flight instructor, ever - NOT bolted when a real job turns up?
What I was getting at is some flight schools might steer clear of 705 guys for various reasons, mainly because you know for sure they will leave once they get a recall. Obviously instructors ditch the second a good job pop up so fair point. At least with a new Class IV you know there with you for more then a few months.

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

780Pilot wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm There are also a fair amount of flight schools who don't want 705 guys who are just gotta bolt the second recalls start, even if there past students. No knock against those guys thats just the reality. So the idea that new instructors won't get jobs is false in my opinion.
The way I see it, I'm realistically looking at 1.5 - 2 years till I'll be back in my previous 705 position. Based on my previous experience, and of others, that's generally the same that any instructor candidate would stick around for (unless they are planning on being a lifer).

Return to “Flight Training”