Does partial passing in CPAER affect one’s career in any way..?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does partial passing in CPAER affect one’s career in any way..?

Post by Mike23 »

Does partial passing in CPL written affect one’s career in any way..?
I got really good marks on other three courses, I don’t know what went wrong with Nav 😬😬
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Mike23 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Does partial passing affect one’s career in any way..?

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Nope. Study up and crush it the second time around.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Ha no one gives a crap about written test marks, dont sweat about it.

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

not at all!
I failed my class 4 instructor flight test. I'm now class 1 and chief-flight instructor.

I use my own story all the time, if you fail an exam, you need to learn from that experience and fix your weakness and go back again.
That's how life works!

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

As others have said not at all. Learn from it and keep going. I know tons of people who partial TC exams especially the CPL.

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

Ok!! Thankyouuu soo much guys for the encouragement and really supporting comments!! 👨‍✈️🙏🙏

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

flyingcanuck wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:13 am Ha no one gives a crap about written test marks, dont sweat about it.
Big red makes you print out and show your scores. Don't know of any other airline in the world making you jump through that hoop

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

CX asks for the CPL flight test scores for their second officer program atleast.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

gtappl wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:44 pm
flyingcanuck wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:13 am Ha no one gives a crap about written test marks, dont sweat about it.
Big red makes you print out and show your scores. Don't know of any other airline in the world making you jump through that hoop
Ive heard that, thought it was a "back in the ol days" thing but guess not

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

Hmm I see..So then if you don’t achieve the marks that they are looking for then what’s the point of spending tons of money on getting the license. It’s not that we are not good pilots, it’s just sometimes the exam can be nerve racking and the exam wording can be tricky!!
They should only see your license and flight experience. At the end of the day we are all human and we learn from our failures...That’s just my opinion but thanks for your comment!! 😁

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

pild04 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:28 am CX asks for the CPL flight test scores for their second officer program atleast.
Hmm I see..So then if you don’t achieve the marks that they are looking for then what’s the point of spending tons of money on getting the license. It’s not that we are not good pilots, it’s just sometimes the exam can be nerve racking and the exam wording can be tricky!!
They should only see your license and flight experience. At the end of the day we are all human and we learn from our failures...That’s just my opinion but thanks for your comment!! 😁

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

Mike23 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:12 pm
pild04 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:28 am CX asks for the CPL flight test scores for their second officer program atleast.
I agree with you. I'm not sure how much does the CPL written exam score weigh when it comes to selecting a candidate at CX.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Most European airlines ask something similar. School grades, university degree grades. They like their paperwork.

More than 2 failed written tests or more than 1 failed flight test and you're out in some of them. They do get a ton of applicants though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm
Most European airlines ask something similar. School grades, university degree grades. They like their paperwork.

More than 2 failed written tests or more than 1 failed flight test and you're out in some of them. They do get a ton of applicants though.

But my plan is to fly in Asia, North America or Middle East!! Not Europe..Thanks for the good information though!! 🙏

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm Most European airlines ask something similar. School grades, university degree grades. They like their paperwork.

That really depends on the company. Some just want to see that you are a normal person and that you are who your CV says you are.

At my former employer in The Netherlands I just did a 20 minute informal chat with the HFO after which he said "You are welcome".

At my present employer it was an informal chat with the Deputy Manager Training and a visual circuit in the Simulator. This was on a Friday and groundschool started on Monday! This has since become a bit more structured as the company has expanded.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:04 pm Most European airlines ask something similar. School grades, university degree grades. They like their paperwork.

That really depends on the company. Some just want to see that you are a normal person and that you are who your CV says you are.

At my former employer in The Netherlands I just did a 20 minute informal chat with the HFO after which he said "You are welcome".

At my present employer it was an informal chat with the Deputy Manager Training and a visual circuit in the Simulator. This was on a Friday and groundschool started on Monday! This has since become a bit more structured as the company has expanded.
So that means they didn’t check your CPL WRITTEN EXAM RESULTS when you were doing your flight training as a student pilot...right?

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Does partial passing in CPAER affect one’s career in any way..?

Post by Yycjetdriver »

If you consider AC the pinnacle of aviation in Canada(debating aside, they at least have the most stringent hiring practices). I know several pilots who work there have personally told me they have several failed written exams and flight tests throughout their training. They make ask you, but being honest and saying you have is not a deal breaker in anyway. It may seem huge for you right now but honestly you probably won’t even remember that exam or score by the time you have built enough hours for an airline interview.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:45 am
Ive heard that, thought it was a "back in the ol days" thing but guess not
Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:47 pm If you consider AC the pinnacle of aviation in Canada(debating aside, they at least have the most stringent hiring practices). I know several pilots who work there have personally told me they have several failed written exams and flight tests throughout their training. They make ask you, but being honest and saying you have is not a deal breaker in anyway. It may seem huge for you right now but honestly you probably won’t even remember that exam or score by the time you have built enough hours for an airline interview.
TC only recently made it so you could print your past scores.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Mike23 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:12 pm
Luckily they're not the only game in town.... for now! Everything related to flying in Canada seems to purposely be as difficult as possible.

Mike23
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mike23 »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:47 pm If you consider AC the pinnacle of aviation in Canada(debating aside, they at least have the most stringent hiring practices). I know several pilots who work there have personally told me they have several failed written exams and flight tests throughout their training. They make ask you, but being honest and saying you have is not a deal breaker in anyway. It may seem huge for you right now but honestly you probably won’t even remember that exam or score by the time you have built enough hours for an airline interview.
Ahh Thankyouuu soo much for the great info. This makes me feel so relieved!!

Return to “Flight Training”