Class II to Class I

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Class II to Class I

Post by 780Pilot »

Is there a period of time you must be a class 2 before going for a class 1? Or could you do a class II ride then a 1 ride a few days after if you were ready?
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Class II to Class I

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

To be eligible for a flight test you have to meet the knowledge and skill levels outlined in CAR 421. CAR 421.72 does not specify any time constraints only the requirement to hold a Class 2 flight instructor rating. Theoretically you could do the Class 1 ride the day after your class 2.

However TC takes the class 1 ride pretty seriously because you will be able to train for the instructor rating. Having little to no experience as a Class 2 would be a huge red flag for me on a Class 1 ride. You would get a fair hearing but you would have to prove you really did understand how to evaluate other instructors, fault diagnose, and teach from the point of view of instructing an instructor on how to teach.

With no practical experience as a Class 2 to draw on, that would be IMO difficult but not I guess not impossible.

Personally I upgraded as each rating came due for renewal. So after 2 years as a Class 4/3, I upgraded to a Class 2 and after 3 years as a Class 2 I upgraded as a Class 1. The Class 1 upgrade went pretty smoothly as I had lots of experience as a CFI and supervising Class 4's. When I upgraded to a Class 2 I already has significantly more than the minimum requirements for a Class 1, but in retrospect not having the experience I got working as a Class 2 would have made it very difficult to pass a Class 1 ride right after the Class 2.

Michael14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Michael14 »

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but the way I interpret 421.72 (1) is that you must have held a class 2 instructor rating for at least a year prior to applying for a class 1 instructor rating.

Here’s the reference from the cars:
421.72 Class 1 - Aeroplane - Requirements
(1) Prerequisites

An applicant for an initial Class 1 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane shall have held a class 2 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane during the previous 12 month period and meet the following knowledge, experience and skill requirements.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Michael14 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:44 pm Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but the way I interpret 421.72 (1) is that you must have held a class 2 instructor rating for at least a year prior to applying for a class 1 instructor rating.

Here’s the reference from the cars:
421.72 Class 1 - Aeroplane - Requirements
(1) Prerequisites

An applicant for an initial Class 1 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane shall have held a class 2 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane during the previous 12 month period and meet the following knowledge, experience and skill requirements.
It simply means that you had to be valid within the last 12 months to apply. You can litteraly do both flight test within a week 11 months after the expiry date of you class 3.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Like BFP stated, there is no regulatory requirement to wait. There was seven months between my Class II ride and my Class I. The main thing you need to demonstrate is competence in training instructors. This includes, but is not limited to, complete understanding of the Laws of Learning, the FIG, theory of flight, regulations, fault analysis and supervision of junior instructors. Also be prepared to show a syllabus, (both ground school and flight lessons) for training new instructor candidates.

faculties11
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by faculties11 »

I haven't instructed in over 3 years. Do my previous flight tests count towards a Class II upgrade from a III?

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

faculties11 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm I haven't instructed in over 3 years. Do my previous flight tests count towards a Class II upgrade from a III?
I think so. There is nothing in the CARs I see saying the rides got to be within x amount of time.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

faculties11 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm I haven't instructed in over 3 years. Do my previous flight tests count towards a Class II upgrade from a III?
They do.

Return to “Flight Training”