Multi Engine Training Aircraft

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Robotlasagna
Rank 0
Rank 0

Multi Engine Training Aircraft

Post by Robotlasagna »

Good day everybody,

I was directed to this website with a question. I am looking to get my multi engine rating on a Piper Navajo that I will be purchasing very soon. I don't see the point of going to a flight school to use their plane when I can just use my own. I do not care if it takes slightly longer due to it being a bit faster/more complicated, etc... I'd rather be more comfortable in my plane than do it in an Aztec, Secena, etc. and never fly that plane again and THEN get used to my plane.

I know that many schools use the Aztec, Seneca etc., but none use planes like a Piper Navajo, Cessna 414, Beech Duke, etc. Does this just have to do with cost/being more complicated? Would you even be allowed to do your rating in planes like those if you had the funds/means?

Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated :D
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Multi Engine Training Aircraft

Post by ahramin »

Do your multi engine rating on your aircraft. You will not have any trouble finding a pilot with multi training experience and Navajo experience to train you. Don't settle for some high time Navajo guy with lots of operational experience. You are taking a big step up and you need someone who knows how to teach that step.

Alex335
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alex335 »

Flight schools wouldn’t use those planes mainly due to fuel burn. Most of those planes you listed are at least double the cost to operate, and some closer to triple like the Duke.

I did my multi in a PA30 I partnered in, wasn’t hard to find a qualified instructor, and much better than dealing with a flight school since most do not allow solo in their multi trainers.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I have done two students for multi on a Navajo. It is not hard on the plane if your instructor understands the proper procedure for simulating an engine failure. Blown engines can be expensive.

It is actually a nice stable platform to learn on. And you get the added advantage of learning how to properly operate a Navajo.

As to instructors. Yes, there are lots around. But tread carefully, i have experienced some experienced Navajo pilots who had no clue, or didn’t care, how to fly a navajo. And worse, pilots who had never actually flown a navajo, but were more than willing to teach on it.

Enjoy..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Keep in mind that single engine work is really hard on turbocharged engines. You are supposed to do stage cooling on those engines, which is practically impossible in a training environment.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I have a lot of experience flying the PA31 and instructing.

I appreciate the reasons why you are planning your multi training this way, but further to the point made by digits, I think it's a terrible idea.

Large turbocharged engines are notoriously susceptible to damage from large power changes, especially rapid ones. A large part of multi training is training for an engine failure, so flying around with one engine, cutting an engine during a simulated takeoff, etc. is hard on the engines. This is the main reason why schools do not use them as multi trainers- the maintenance costs are far too high when used in training.

My suggestion would be to save your engines and get your multi rating at a school that is used to pumping pilots through quickly. Then, spend the money that you just saved from not having to replace your cylinders, turbo, etc on hiring an experienced PA31 pilot to fly with you for, let's say 25 hours. You will then be focusing not on learning to fly a twin, but knowing all of the little intricacies of the PA31.

On a side note. Why did you purchase a PA31? What kind of flying are you using it for?

Good luck!

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

There are a few Navajos not turbocharged. It is possible that it is the case for the OP ?

Flightgame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightgame »

Bede wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm
Large turbocharged engines are notoriously susceptible to damage from large power changes, especially rapid ones. A large part of multi training is training for an engine failure, so flying around with one engine, cutting an engine during a simulated takeoff, etc. is hard on the engines. This is the main reason why schools do not use them as multi trainers- the maintenance costs are far too high when used in training.

My suggestion would be to save your engines and get your multi rating at a school that is used to pumping pilots through quickly. Then, spend the money that you just saved from not having to replace your cylinders, turbo, etc on hiring an experienced PA31 pilot to fly with you for, let's say 25 hours. You will then be focusing not on learning to fly a twin, but knowing all of the little intricacies of the PA31.

that's some great advice right there ! I never thought from that angle before

Flightgame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightgame »

trey kule wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 am And worse, pilots who had never actually flown a navajo, but were more than willing to teach on it.

Enjoy..
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Flightgame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightgame »

Robotlasagna wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:30 am Good day everybody,

I was directed to this website with a question. I am looking to get my multi engine rating on a Piper Navajo that I will be purchasing very soon. I don't see the point of going to a flight school to use their plane when I can just use my own. I do not care if it takes slightly longer due to it being a bit faster/more complicated, etc... I'd rather be more comfortable in my plane than do it in an Aztec, Secena, etc. and never fly that plane again and THEN get used to my plane.

I know that many schools use the Aztec, Seneca etc., but none use planes like a Piper Navajo, Cessna 414, Beech Duke, etc. Does this just have to do with cost/being more complicated? Would you even be allowed to do your rating in planes like those if you had the funds/means?

Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated :D

if it helps, International Pilot Academy, Gatineau, Quebec does multi rating on a navajo. 600$/hr or so. 2 crew training I believe

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Where are you, that may give an idea of what is available

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If I owned my own Navajo, I wouldn't want to subject my own aircraft to the sort of abuse training will do. Beat the shit out of someone else's airplane, then learn to fly your own Navajo afterwards and can treat it nicer. The Seminole and Navajo aren't a whole lot different, speeds are similar, systems are comparable and easy to learn. Never flown an Aztec, Twin Comanche or Seneca, so can't speak to them, but I'd imagine all Piper twins are fairly similar.

Return to “Flight Training”