Advice for new pilots.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Advice for new pilots.

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hello 👋

As a pilot who is expecting to graduate a University based flight school in April 2021. What's the best path to choose?

-Go up north and work your butt off in a ground to flight line postion.

-Stay in school and complete a BBA (Get a bachelor's degree and aviation diploma in 4 years)

-Become a flight instructor try your best to stay close to a city

What would you choose?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Advice for new pilots.

Post by lownslow »

Choose the one that you like.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I go for instructing if you can find a school to work for. Right now, it seems to be the only part of aviation industry that still has steady work. I instructed for years and was hired at a great company because of my PIC hours, despite not having an official degree. Maybe it will be more competitive with the way the industry has changed, but I imagine flight hours are still more valuable than a degree.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
PilotY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PilotY »

Go where someone needs a pilot and do anything. I've always been interested in doing something outside the norm. Like surveying, firefighting, or Medevac or something. I feel like I want to instruct early on as well. Really drill in those foundations of handling and theory. Though I don't really care about where I live.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

There is no wrong answer, as of right now it's more than likely going to be a slog either way for new pilots. Personally I went North, saw awesome sights, networked, worked hard and had a blast. I'm older now but none the wiser and still get a healthy mix of gravel flying combined with pavement to pavement. Those who really love flying will make it but I predict many who start out these next few years will be moving onto other careers, it's just the way she goes boys and girls.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Instructing was the best job I ever had, hands down. It's also a great stepping stone into this career. I would suggest the instructor rating if you enjoy dealing with people and watching them succeed. It is an extremely intrinsically rewarding job.

There's nothing wrong with the other options. All avenues lead to the same destination.

Return to “Flight Training”