Waiting for Aviation Booklet and PPL Lisence

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pilot4ever101
Rank 0
Rank 0

Waiting for Aviation Booklet and PPL Lisence

Post by pilot4ever101 »

Hey guys, hoping to see if anyone can help, passed my flight test and my documents were sent in first week of October to Transport canada for PPL Lisence. Its been more than 2 months and I still haven't recieved anything in the mail. I have called the ontario region TC office but it goes to voice-mail, have also emailed them. Was wondering if this is normal, I understand COVID backlog, but was just wondering if anyone else is going through something similar, its been stressing me out cause I want to make sure everything with my application is okay. Thanks for any help in advance
---------- ADS -----------

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Waiting for Aviation Booklet and PPL Lisence

Post by Squaretail »

Transport Canada’s working time is up to 90 days in normal times. It’s probably longer at the moment. I would almost guarantee if it hasn’t been 90 days, they will tell you to wait longer. If it gets longer, then phone licensing and inquire. Be prepared to know the exact date it was submitted and your TC file number. Also make sure to use whatever name is going to appear on your license when interacting with them. IF you get the response that they have nothing - which is common if you are unable to provide one of the above in the conversation - then contact the Authorized Person who completed your application form.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Found »

I would say that's normal pre Covid wait, with Covid many offices don't have everyone coming in so it will take longer. I would ask you flight school and make sure you emailed your Regional Office, aviation.ont@tc.gc.ca for Ontario.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

There is an exemption in place that makes any temporary privilege's, like the sign off for your PPL on the back of your SPP non expiring. It is currently set to expire on 31 December but I have been told it is about to be extended to July 1 2021. So bottom line don't worry when you aviation booklet is going to show up. It will eventually and in the mean time your existing documents are all you need to be legal

Exemption from subsection 401.06(2) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations
NCR-073-2020

Pursuant to subsection 5.9(2) of the Aeronautics Act, and after having taken into account that this exemption is in the public interest and is not likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security, I hereby exempt all holders of permits or licences endorsed with the certification of temporary additional privileges, from the requirements of subsection 401.06(2) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), subject to the conditions set out below.

The above mentioned provision is reproduced in Appendix A.

Purpose
The purpose of this exemption is to allow the certification of additional privileges endorsed on a permit or licence to only expire upon receipt of a new permit or licence granting those privileges, instead of the normally prescribed period of 90 days for a temporary endorsement.

The purpose of this exemption is to adopt temporary measures in the public interest to reduce the potential of person to person transmission in air traffic control units in Canada following the declaration of a pandemic outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) by the World Health Organization (WHO) on March 11th, 2020.

Application
This exemption applies to all holders of permits or licences endorsed with the certification of temporary additional privileges;

This exemption ceases to apply to a holder of a permit or licence who breaches a condition of this exemption.

Conditions
This exemption is subject to the following conditions:

The certification of additional privileges on a permit or licence expires on receipt of a new permit or licence granting those privileges.
Persons exercising the privileges of a permit, licence or rating pursuant to the terms and conditions of this exemption shall comply with the CARs in all respects, and the CARs shall continue to apply in all respects other than the specific exemption set out herein, or any other applicable exemption issued by the Minister of Transport.
Validity
This exemption is in effect until the earliest of the following:

a) December 31, 2020 at 23:59 (EST); or
b) The date on which the exemption is cancelled in writing by the Minister where he is of the opinion that it is no longer in the public interest or is likely to adversely affect aviation safety or security.
Dated at Ottawa, Ontario, this 4th day of June 2020, on behalf of the Minister of Transport.

“Original signed by”

Nicholas Robinson
Director General, Civil Aviation
Transport Canada

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

It took five months for mine to arrive in the mail, give or take. I applied for it in January.

And I just checked online, my student pilot permit has finally been processed by Transport, in the last week. It was issued in July. It was perhaps complicated because I already have a GPL.

They're certainly slow, probably moreso currently, but it will happen.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

I passed my PPL in early October, also haven't heard anything yet. As others have said, it seems that this is business as usual.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

TalkingPie wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 am I passed my PPL in early October, also haven't heard anything yet. As others have said, it seems that this is business as usual.
Um, small point. I am assuming by “passed” you also mean you applied for your PPL. I say this because I have had folks in the past come to me wondering why they didn’t get their license under the assumption that passing their flight test or written test was automatically also processing a license application. If you can, I would also say to make sure you have a copy of your application, in the all too common event that something goes wrong between the application leaving your hands and you receiving your license booklet or SASL (not to be confused with, yet similar to a sticker).

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

Squaretail wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:33 pm
TalkingPie wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 am I passed my PPL in early October, also haven't heard anything yet. As others have said, it seems that this is business as usual.
Um, small point. I am assuming by “passed” you also mean you applied for your PPL. I say this because I have had folks in the past come to me wondering why they didn’t get their license under the assumption that passing their flight test or written test was automatically also processing a license application. If you can, I would also say to make sure you have a copy of your application, in the all too common event that something goes wrong between the application leaving your hands and you receiving your license booklet or SASL (not to be confused with, yet similar to a sticker).
Thank you for the information. In my case, my examiner (who's associated with my FTU) sat down with me and took care of the application. Due to this I admit to being somewhat ignorant of the process, but Transport Canada cashed my cheque, so I have to assume that things are going as they should.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Don’t be so sure. I’m almost certain that TC’s process, the priority is ripping all their mail open and cashing all the cheques. Their cheque casher I imagine is the only government employee who has not taken a single day off in their entire career. Regardless of whatever else happens there, whomever the government puts in charge of cheque cashing is their quickest, most thorough, and determined staffer.

learningpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by learningpilot »

pilot4ever101 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:51 am Hey guys, hoping to see if anyone can help, passed my flight test and my documents were sent in first week of October to Transport canada for PPL Lisence. Its been more than 2 months and I still haven't recieved anything in the mail. I have called the ontario region TC office but it goes to voice-mail, have also emailed them. Was wondering if this is normal, I understand COVID backlog, but was just wondering if anyone else is going through something similar, its been stressing me out cause I want to make sure everything with my application is okay. Thanks for any help in advance
Same for me, passed ppl flight test and submitted the paperwork through my school first week of October and still waiting for my documents.
Big Pistons Forever wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:37 pm There is an exemption in place that makes any temporary privilege's, like the sign off for your PPL on the back of your SPP non expiring. It is currently set to expire on 31 December but I have been told it is about to be extended to July 1 2021. So bottom line don't worry when you aviation booklet is going to show up. It will eventually and in the mean time your existing documents are all you need to be legal

Exemption from subsection 401.06(2) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations
NCR-073-2020
I found this on TC website as well so I'll wait until the offices open to follow up

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Transport Canada's motto: We're not totally happy until you are totally unhappy

Avi-Nation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avi-Nation »

Complete opposite experience for me. Passed PPL on 09/10, TC confirmed my application on 10/20, and got my blue book in the mail days before Halloween. This is in Alberta.

Return to “Flight Training”