Looking back at the airspeed should be instinctive

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Looking back at the airspeed should be instinctive

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 pm
pelmet wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:40 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:28 pm New, old, every, pilot, would benefit by focusing on understanding their aircraft's Angle of attack in different phases of flight, and how this might be affected by their inputs in different parts of the circuit, with different wind conditions.

Not airspeed, certainly in isolation, anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141693

Great deal of (VFR) approach accidents, stem from the base to final turn, and it isn't just random, on why this is.
I have flown a couple of aircraft with AOA indicators. They were of little use to me and ignored.
Wow just wow. 😳

Credibility lost not that I thought you had any to begin with!
Well, my landings worked out just fine, which seemed credible enough for my passengers. Perhaps no less credible than not using your ASI. Same message as always from me to you :lol: .
---------- ADS -----------

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

pelmet wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:25 pm
photofly wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:21 pm 1500 pilots will die in the next ten years, and NONE - not a single one - will be saved by hearing from you to look at the airspeed indicator more.
Ridiculous statement. Please ignore. If you honestly believe that, you have no credibility.
I would tend to agree with photofly. If I was on your side of the argument, you definitely need to come up with some more compelling support for your position. As it is, when it comes to most pilots, if they need to improve their flying almost never is the solution that they need to look inside more. Even IFR, I can't think of a time where the advice to look at the airspeed more would be warranted.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Squaretail wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:10 am Even IFR, I can't think of a time where the advice to look at the airspeed more would be warranted.
Of course, when does one suggest more. Each flight is different and obviously most are successful.

But one need only ask themselves what the outcome would have been in all those fatal loss of control accidents mentioned earlier within the last minute. Seems obvious to me.

Ensure you monitor the airspeed at regular intervals while maneuvering, especially when IFR. What those intervals are will have to be based on your good judgement.

Note: Correction made to add the word 'BASED on good judgement" as the original post as quoted by Bede had the original faulty word.

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:49 am Ensure you monitor the airspeed at regular intervals while maneuvering, especially when IFR. What those intervals are will have to be jaded on your good judgement.
When IMC I encourage students to monitor their AI more. Thats usually the reason they chase headings and altitudes- because they're not paying attention to the attitude.

Similarly when VMC, not looking at the real horizon, ie outside, is the reason for far more loss of control accidents than not looking inside.

One thing I've had students do is, by just looking outside, is repeatedly tell me where they are and where their going. For example "I'm slightly too high but descending too fast". The student will end up chasing the glideslope.

(I instructed a control systems engineer once and told him to tell me his "error" and "derivative" and apply a proportional derivative feedback loop to correct. It all made sense to him then.)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 am (I instructed a control systems engineer once and told him to tell me his "error" and "derivative" and apply a proportional derivative feedback loop to correct. It all made sense to him then.)
Most instructors apply an (internal) integral term too. I’m sure you know what I mean!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Bede wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 am Similarly when VMC, not looking at the real horizon, ie outside, is the reason for far more loss of control accidents than not looking inside.
As far as I know, most loss of control accidents involve a stall. That has more to do with lack of airspeed instead of not being aware of the horizon and the aircraft bank angle. Seeing as most loss of control accidents happen in the pattern, I suspect that few are accidentally banking our of control by accident with proper airspeed.

Keep in mind that I am referring to day VMC.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I have flown a couple of aircraft with AOA indicators. They were of little use to me and ignored.
Generally, for GA planes with an aftermarket AoA, I agree. If the AoA is a part of the type design, they seem to be better. Be very aware of aftermarket AoA systems installed in airplanes which have other mods (STOL kits, VG's, Wing extensions. If the AoA systems has been set up to try to optimize the performance of the modified plane, there is opportunity for AoA indication error on the slow side. the relationship between IAS ans CAS is a factor, where the AoA should be set up in CAS, rather than IAS< but the data is unavailable for the modified plane. When I have had to set up AoA's on modified planes, I set them up to the original flight manual speeds, and they provided AoA guidance on the safe side, though did not optimize the plane's expanded capability.

I agree that airspeed awareness is important, and yes, a reason to be aware of ASI information. Add to that is that the pilot must understand what an appropriate amount of airspeed would be for what they are doing at that moment, and what they could be doing in thirty seconds. I can show you my C 150 with an indicated airspeed (momentarily) at 20 MPH and no stall warning indication, or at 80 MPH with a stall warning. Knowing your airspeed is part of the equation, knowing what it needs to be is also vital.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:42 am
Bede wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:29 am (I instructed a control systems engineer once and told him to tell me his "error" and "derivative" and apply a proportional derivative feedback loop to correct. It all made sense to him then.)
Most instructors apply an (internal) integral term too. I’m sure you know what I mean!
Lol.

English was his second language but this explanation made sense to him. I can't see it making sense to any one else though.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Here are my two cents as a very green instructor. When working in the pattern, I can perceive pitch changes that the student inadvertently makes which then causes a change on the airspeed indicator. There definitely is a delay.. say around one second, from the time of the pitch change to the time it registers in the ASI. That in and of itself makes the ASI inferior to the horizon when judging airspeed.

I can see the argument of watching your ASI, as a new student, as your perception of these pitch changes are probably not developed yet. It allows you to catch your error and then correct the pitch. Interestingly enough, is the way to correct this to look at the ASI more? I think not... It's actually to be proficient in recognizing the pitch change so that you look at it fewer and fewer as you get more experience. The ASI almost acts like training wheels, imo, where it's beneficial in the beginning, but not so much as you develop your skills. Looking at the ASI all the time is like continuing on to bike, without taking your training wheels off.

So, in the beginning (I'm thinking around first solo stage), I think it's ok to look at the ASI say 7-8 times in the pattern to confirm that your pitch angle matches your desired airspeed. However, I do think that the goal should be the other way around in that we should wean the student from using the ASI as he or she becomes more sensitive to the minute pitch changes so as to nail whatever speed they need to nail in the circuit without much help from the ASI.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:41 am
English was his second language but this explanation made sense to him. I can't see it making sense to any one else though.
It's obviously how my 1970's (analogue) S-TEC autopilot works too :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 am
Bede wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:41 am
It's obviously how my 1970's (analogue) S-TEC autopilot works too :-)
Sorry to hijack this thread. Analogue electronic feedback systems are impressive enough but mechanical PID control is even more impressive. It blows me away how they could accomplish what they did with springs and bellows and no transistors.

Anyways, back to silly flight training philosophies. I think students should be paying attention to the oil pressure gauge. If the oil pressure drops, the engine will stop and if the engine stops the airplane will slow down and if the airplane slows down it will stall and if you stall you may crash so pay attention to the oil pressure gauge.

Last edited by Bede on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 am
Generally, for GA planes with an aftermarket AoA, I agree. If the AoA is a part of the type design, they seem to be better. Be very aware of aftermarket AoA systems installed in airplanes which have other mods (STOL kits, VG's, Wing extensions. If the AoA systems has been set up to try to optimize the performance of the modified plane, there is opportunity for AoA indication error on the slow side. the relationship between IAS ans CAS is a factor, where the AoA should be set up in CAS, rather than IAS< but the data is unavailable for the modified plane. When I have had to set up AoA's on modified planes, I set them up to the original flight manual speeds, and they provided AoA guidance on the safe side, though did not optimize the plane's expanded capability.

I agree that airspeed awareness is important, and yes, a reason to be aware of ASI information. Add to that is that the pilot must understand what an appropriate amount of airspeed would be for what they are doing at that moment, and what they could be doing in thirty seconds. I can show you my C 150 with an indicated airspeed (momentarily) at 20 MPH and no stall warning indication, or at 80 MPH with a stall warning. Knowing your airspeed is part of the equation, knowing what it needs to be is also vital.
That's odd.....someone here has a different opinion as seen below(last line).....
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:54 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:28 pm New, old, every, pilot, would benefit by focusing on understanding their aircraft's Angle of attack in different phases of flight, and how this might be affected by their inputs in different parts of the circuit, with different wind conditions.

Great deal of (VFR) approach accidents, stem from the base to final turn, and it isn't just random, on why this is.
Wow just wow. 😳

Credibility lost not that I thought you had any to begin with!
To all the inexperienced pilots here, be very careful who you get you advice from. Your flying career will bring you into contact with people who seem like they know what they are talking about when in fact, they are giving you dangerous information. And of course, some obviously have no credibility at all as seen in the last line just above this paragraph. At least, they are obvious.

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:42 am So, in the beginning (I'm thinking around first solo stage), I think it's ok to look at the ASI say 7-8 times in the pattern to confirm that your pitch angle matches your desired airspeed. However, I do think that the goal should be the other way around in that we should wean the student from using the ASI as he or she becomes more sensitive to the minute pitch changes so as to nail whatever speed they need to nail in the circuit without much help from the ASI.
While I have never counted the number of times I look at the ASI in the pattern, I would expect at least 7-8 times. Several times during climbout. On the downwind, especially if slowing down, and several times after the turn to base leg. It has served me well over the years.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The pervasive error in thinking in this thread is that one can be cognizant of one's attitude yet somehow forget to look at the airspeed, and that therefore looking at the airspeed is the only thing and an important thing to correct.

If you are conscious of your aircraft attitude, you will already be using airspeed as a check on whether your attitude is correct.

One may be surprised by an unintentionally high nose attitude, but it doesn't take an airspeed indicator to notice that.

If your unintentionally low airspeed surprises you, you were not conscious of your aircraft attitude. That's a really really bad thing and needs work to be fixed.

If you are not conscious of your aircraft attitude then waffling about airspeed is irrelevant.

Last edited by photofly on Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

^ exactly

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

For me, this is a good example of getting the "what" i.e. look at the airspeed; ahead of the "why" i.e. maintaining the desired aircraft state.

So in the original example the airplane had obviously deviated significantly away from the desired state. The "solution" is not to look at the airspeed indicator more it is to analyze why the deviation occurred and why it took looking at the airspeed to recognize it.

Depending on how and why a deviation occurred looking at the airspeed may be entirely appropriate, but i echo the numerous other posters that have a big problem with your binary approach to this which boils down to

Looking at the ASI is good so looking at it more will automatically save lives

The challenge as instructors is to develop those automatic instinctual behaviors that will ensure that the pilot can attain and maintain the desired aircraft performance at every part of the flight and recognize and correct deviations from the desired flight path

As it happens I recently flew with a pilot that looked at the airspeed indicator a lot. This was immediately obvious in the initial climb as the nose was continually bobbing up and down as he chased the ASI instead of setting the correct pitch attitude. Personally when I see this my head wants to explode because it means that the pilot probably was poorly instructed on the critical foundation maneuvers ex 5 to 9. I can say conclusively that looking at the ASI more is unlikely to make the pilot less likely to become one of he 1500 that Pelmet referenced.

Finally a confession. As an Instructor I have been guilty of having to force my self to stop continually looking at an instrument. It was the hobbs meter and generally involved an annoying student :oops:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Thanks,

Unless there is any significant amount of g away from 1g, your airspeed indicator is close enough to an AOA to be considered as one, in my opinion. Even in a 30°bank, the stall speed only increases by about 15%.
In the base to final accidents, they didn't maintain a proper airspeed and got too slow for the maneuver they were executing.
Hmmm. I strongly suspect, of course cannot prove, that most base to final stall - spin accidents happened as a result of a significant deviation from that (maximum) 30 degree, coordinated banked turn.

Also suspect by the time the pilot realizes from the airspeed indicator they are too slow for the aircraft state, it's far too late.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 am

Hmmm. I strongly suspect, of course cannot prove, that most base to final stall - spin accidents happened as a result of a significant deviation from that (maximum) 30 degree, coordinated banked turn.

Also suspect by the time the pilot realizes from the airspeed indicator they are too slow for the aircraft state, it's far too late.
Not only too slow but almost certainly badly uncoordinated

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:04 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 am

Not only too slow but almost certainly badly uncoordinated
That is why one should be instinctively looking at the airspeed earlier. They are not doing so and get to the point where...."by the time the pilot realizes from the airspeed indicator they are too slow for the aircraft state, it's far too late."

As for badly uncoordinated turns to final. I have done them a lot. It is called a slipping turn and used to lose altitude and was part of my training for my private pilots license. Obviously, that is different than a skidding turn which is something I try to avoid and so should others. I wonder if ones airspeed is reasonably higher than approach speed, there will not be a problem. However, that is unconfirmed and I don't want to give out any bad information, so perhaps that could be confirmed by instructors who have done this sort of maneuver.
Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:38 am I can say conclusively that looking at the ASI more is unlikely to make the pilot less likely to become one of he 1500 that Pelmet referenced.
Considering that most of the 1500(or the pilots flying out of that 1500) were likely not looking at their ASI for a significant amount of time up to the point of losing control.....I say you are wrong. But one of those things one cannot actually prove for those cases. You and others seem to be confusing people who don't look at their airspeed indicators for long periods of time while maneuvering with people who are looking at them way to much to the exclusion of proper flying.

We do know the Asiana report. 24 seconds of not looking at the ASI prior to the loss of control. And people actually think that looking at the ASI more would not have helped.

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flight Training”