Certified or Certificated Flight Instructor?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

sunil04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Certified or Certificated Flight Instructor?

Post by sunil04 »

This may seem like a meaningless distinction, but does CFI officially stand for Certified Flight Instructor or Certificated flight instructor?

It seems on some of the FAA's pages its actually says Certificated but pretty much everywhere else out there in the world says Certified.

192.168.o.1
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by sunil04 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Certified or Certificated Flight Instructor?

Post by Bede »

In Canada a CFI is a Chief Flight Instructor

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

sunil04 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:26 am This may seem like a meaningless distinction, but does CFI officially stand for Certified Flight Instructor or Certificated flight instructor?

It seems on some of the FAA's pages its actually says Certificated but pretty much everywhere else out there in the world says Certified.
Bede is quite correct. In Canada the piliot qualification is a licence and the flight instructor qualification is a rating - neither being a certificate, and so a flight instructor is neither certified nor certificated. If you're interested in the situation in the USA, you should probably ask on a US pilot forum.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

photofly wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm
sunil04 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:26 am This may seem like a meaningless distinction, but does CFI officially stand for Certified Flight Instructor or Certificated flight instructor?

Bede is quite correct. In Canada the piliot qualification is a licence and the flight instructor qualification is a rating - neither being a certificate, and so a flight instructor is neither certified nor certificated. If you're interested in the situation in the USA, you should probably ask on a US pilot forum.
Isn't it Certified FUN Instructor? :O

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the CFI in the US the equivalent of a Class 3 flight instructor? Meaning that the CFI can do freelance right out of the gate?

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Last edited by GoHomeLeg on Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You can't convert, but you get credits:
(7) Credits for Foreign Applicants
(a) Knowledge
(ii) An applicant who holds, or has held within the preceding 24 months a Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane issued by a Contracting State shall be deemed to have met 15 hours of the 25 hours ground school instruction requirement.
(b) Experience
An applicant who holds, or has held within the preceding 24 months, a Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane issued by a Contracting State shall be credited with a maximum of 15 hours of equivalent experience towards the 30 hours of dual flight instruction.
So you need 10 hours ground school and 15 hours flight instruction, then you can take a flight instructor flight test. I think Canada and the US have a reciprocal agreement that means you can slot in as a Class III instructor from the start, too, once you pass the test.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If you see "contracting state" somewhere, it's a good idea to contact TC. One might think contracting state means ICAO member or something similar, but I was told by a TC inspector that every reference to "contracting state" basically has its own list of who is contracting for that particular paragraph/section, and it isn't published anywhere. No reference for that statement unfortunately.

The reciprocal agreement is a different paragraph as well. You are probably refering to this part
421.70 Class 3 - Aeroplane - Requirements
(1) Prerequisites
(a) An applicant for a initial Class 3 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane shall hold a Class 4 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane and meet the following knowledge, experience and skill requirements.
(b) Providing that the additional knowledge, experience and skill requirements specified below are met, the requirement to hold a Class 4 Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane does not apply to:
(i) a Canadian Forces Flight Instructor - Aeroplanes, or
(ii) the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane issued by a Contracting State provided that:
(A) the State that issued the rating and Canada have formally agreed to grant reciprocal exemptions; and
(B) the rating was not issued on the basis of a rating issued by a State with which Canada has not formally agreed to grant reciprocal exemptions.
So you need to be dealing with a contracting state and a reciprocal exemption.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Good point. I just asked a licensing officer at TC, who told me that there are no states at all with which Canada has a reciprocal exemption for instructor ratings.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm Good point. I just asked a licensing officer at TC, who told me that there are no states at all with which Canada has a reciprocal exemption for instructor ratings.
I was told the same, but that was over 5 years ago. Guess some things never change :rolleyes:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

...but you do get the reduced hours credit for the Class IV rating, I gather.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:19 pm ...but you do get the reduced hours credit for the Class IV rating, I gather.
Yes, you do.

Return to “Flight Training”