Group 1 vs group 3 ifr

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Group 1 vs group 3 ifr

Post by imjustlurking »

rotorspeed wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 pm Can someone clarify the PPC. Example you have group 3 ifr then go to group 1. Is that saying you don't need to do the multi seperate then the group 3 flight test?
A PPC is a Pilot Proficiency Check. It is one way to meet part of the requirement for currency.

If you're not flying commercially, you'll likely be getting an IPC (Instrument Proficiency Check). There were too many pilots flying the 6/6/6 without actually getting any real world IFR practice and were legally current but far from proficient. Transport Canada changed the rule from having an expiring instrument rating to an indefinite one.
---------- ADS -----------

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Do I understand this rule correctly that there is no minimum time requirement in multi engine aircraft for group 1 test

Experience Requirements

An applicant shall have completed a minimum of:

50 hours of cross-country flight as pilot-in-command in aeroplanes or helicopters of which 10 hours must be in the appropriate category; and

40 hours of instrument time of which a maximum of 20 hours may be instrument ground time. The 40 hours instrument time shall include a minimum of:

5 hours of dual instrument flight time acquired from the holder of a flight instructor rating ,

5 hours in aeroplanes where the applicant is applying for a Group 1, 2 or 3 instrument rating or in helicopters where the applicant is applying for a Group 4 instrument rating,

Fifteen (15) hours of dual instrument flight time provided by a qualified person as specified in CAR 425.21(9); and

A dual cross-country flight under simulated or actual IMC conditions of a minimum of 100 nautical miles, the flight to be conducted in accordance with an IFR flight plan to include at, two different locations, an instrument approach to minima.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

rotorspeed wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:10 pm Do I understand this rule correctly that there is no minimum time requirement in multi engine aircraft for group 1 test

Correct. There is no min multi time requirement for the multi rating either.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

imjustlurking wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:59 am
If you're not flying commercially, you'll likely be getting an IPC (Instrument Proficiency Check). There were too many pilots flying the 6/6/6 without actually getting any real world IFR practice and were legally current but far from proficient.
Interesting………
The IFR rating is taught that way. Zero IMC exposure required of the student, and zero experience needed by the instructor.

It’s halftime, watching a slow basketball game. Let’s stir the pot.

I’d like to see IFR instructors successfully defend the practice of teaching IFR without having ever flown an hour in actual as an instructor, nor teaching in IMC.

No excuses, lives are in your hands. LOC in IMC conditions, ends up in the newspaper.

If you can’t defend it, stop teaching this way.

I have enough time under a hood, and in actual —to know, it’s not the same thing.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 pm
imjustlurking wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:59 am
If you're not flying commercially, you'll likely be getting an IPC (Instrument Proficiency Check). There were too many pilots flying the 6/6/6 without actually getting any real world IFR practice and were legally current but far from proficient.
Interesting………
The IFR rating is taught that way. Zero IMC exposure required of the student, and zero experience needed by the instructor.

It’s halftime, watching a slow basketball game. Let’s stir the pot.

I’d like to see IFR instructors successfully defend the practice of teaching IFR without having ever flown an hour in actual as an instructor, nor teaching in IMC.

No excuses, lives are in your hands. LOC in IMC conditions, ends up in the newspaper.

If you can’t defend it, stop teaching this way.

I have enough time under a hood, and in actual —to know, it’s not the same thing.
While I totally agree with you, until flight schools start getting planes certified for known icing, there's a large chunk of the year where they can't fly at all in IMC.

Not sure if this is something unique to where I taught, but I also struggled to get my students up in actual during the warmer months due to conservative wx minimums (thanks to insurance I'm sure).

hawazop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hawazop »

If the holder has a licence endorsed SEL only, they cannot do a Group 1 Ride. They must have a Multi-engine class rating.

hawazop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hawazop »

for those doing a multi IFR ride, they have to have a mutli rating. Without either, this requires two separate rides.

Return to “Flight Training”