Question or myth busting/confirming

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kisangoli78
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question or myth busting/confirming

Post by kisangoli78 »

What is the demand rate and competitive rate for being a pilot in general? I was mostly told chances to be a pilot for anything as a profession are very slim, and that I need to be willing to give up most of my lifetime with my family in the profession. Basically, someone in my current workplace said "Being a pilot is a single man's job; You are going to experience hellish lonesome years unless you divorce for such a job." Knowing that said coworker was never a pilot to begin with nor knowing where his sources came from, I'm looking elsewhere for these questions to be answered properly. That's why I am now asking the same questions to this forum.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Question or myth busting/confirming

Post by Bede »

BS. Most of my colleagues are married as am I. I am an airline pilot now, but many years ago, started my career all over the place, including a stint in the arctic. My girlfriend/fiance/wife (same girl) followed me around. We're still married.

However, you have to be prepared to move, especially when starting out. Same as being a professor, police officer, etc. Your first job won't be in Toronto- it may be in Thompson, Yellowknife, etc. You can stay in a major center if you want to start as a flight instructor, but that comes with poverty wages and sky high living expenses.

Good luck!

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Your first 5 years you will make shit money, and probably have either a crap schedule or live in the middle of nowhere. These are the hard points for most people. After that though with some seniority its fine.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You need someone who is on board with what you are doing. I didn't like the "time off" with no pay, so quit. I wanted a regular gig, with a job every month. That doesn't happen very often in the beginning: in my case 13 years. Pretty soon, you realise that the carrot is an illusion. Sure, people "make it", but most don't, not through lack of trying.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

What do the first few years look like? I hear you're going to throw bags for 2 years for less than $20k, then if you're luck fo for $30k then maybe jazz after 3 years of that?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

If you want to make some sacrifices early on you can certainly make a go of it. If your main concern is staying close to mommy and daddy in the centre of the universe then it probably won’t work out for you. If you’ll follow the work wherever that may he for a few years you’ll be fine. Everyone I trained in with who left aviation left because they wouldn’t move or realized it wasn’t for them.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:50 pm If you want to make some sacrifices early on you can certainly make a go of it. If your main concern is staying close to mommy and daddy in the centre of the universe then it probably won’t work out for you. If you’ll follow the work wherever that may he for a few years you’ll be fine. Everyone I trained in with who left aviation left because they wouldn’t move or realized it wasn’t for them.
It's a big ask for an unstable field imo. Good luck getting your partner to quit a stable job to live in norman wells

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:00 pm
ant_321 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:50 pm If you want to make some sacrifices early on you can certainly make a go of it. If your main concern is staying close to mommy and daddy in the centre of the universe then it probably won’t work out for you. If you’ll follow the work wherever that may he for a few years you’ll be fine. Everyone I trained in with who left aviation left because they wouldn’t move or realized it wasn’t for them.
It's a big ask for an unstable field imo. Good luck getting your partner to quit a stable job to live in norman wells
Sounds like you made a poor life choice picking a spouse who is tied down when entering a career that demands mobility.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:33 pm
Sounds like you made a poor life choice picking a spouse who is tied down when entering a career that demands mobility.
That's not how life works. Humans plan, god laughs.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 pm

Why exactly are you here anyway? Aren’t you the guy who threw in the towel because it wasn’t worth it?

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Why exactly are you here anyway? Aren’t you the guy who threw in the towel because it wasn’t worth it?
And? I have my reasons.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:54 pm

And? I have my reasons.
Couldn’t cut it in aviation and now hang around on an aviation forum. Pretty sad life.

For the OP. If you really want to fly go for it. It won’t be all sunshine and roses but if you love what you do it’s worth it. Since COVID I’ve been working 9-5 jobs and I can’t imagine having to live that miserable existence for the next 30 years.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:06 pm

And? I have my reasons.
Couldn’t cut it in aviation and now hang around on an aviation forum. Pretty sad life.

For the OP. If you really want to fly go for it. It won’t be all sunshine and roses but if you love what you do it’s worth it. Since COVID I’ve been working 9-5 jobs and I can’t imagine having to live that miserable existence for the next 30 years.
You know nothing about my life or why I'm here, I'd appreciate it if you tone down the libel?

Also some life advice, happiness doesn't come from a job. You can have everything you want and still be miserable.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 pm

And? I have my reasons.

You know nothing about my life or why I'm here, I'd appreciate it if you tone down the libel?

Also some life advice, happiness doesn't come from a job. You can have everything you want and still be miserable.
Yeah your here to tell everyone that it isn’t worth it because you couldn’t hack it. And I agree that you can have everything and still be miserable, but having the career you want vs a job you dislike certainty effects your happiness.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

ant_321 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:38 am
newlygrounded wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Yeah your here to tell everyone that it isn’t worth it because you couldn’t hack it. And I agree that you can have everything and still be miserable, but having the career you want vs a job you dislike certainty effects your happiness.
More libel? Really?

I stopped because I realized nothing will improve if people are willing to work poverty wages for 10 years and potentially be on the street at the end of that decade. I see a temporary travel ban and the first thing we do is sign PERMANANT concessions. It's brought out everyone's bad side and frankly I don't want to gamble my future in an industry like that.

Everyone has a different idea of what's "worth it" but tell me what did I misvalue in your book?

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

I agree, the first years are the hardest.

But after I managed to enter the 705 world it is flying 2 to 3 days a week, the rest is family time.

I wasn't in the best position to start with. I arrived in Canada at 34 years old, and I had to do the initial training first.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

frog wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:19 am I agree, the first years are the hardest.

But after I managed to enter the 705 world it is flying 2 to 3 days a week, the rest is family time.

I wasn't in the best position to start with. I arrived in Canada at 34 years old, and I had to do the initial training first.
If you're ok with my picking your brain for a bit, how long did it take to get to 705 land? Ignoring the crisis I keep hearing 90+ % of people drop out, and it's 6 or 7 years making minimum wage

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

There is no way 90% of people drop out.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Hangry wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 am There is no way 90% of people drop out.
It depends on your yardstick? But that's the number I hear

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

The first year and a half, less than the minimum wage.
From 1 year and a half to 6 years : From minimum wage to 50k a year. (It was in 2005).

After that it was 705, not starting with a great wage, but it improved rapidly with seniority.

Note, I could have done it a lot quicker, but I made a couple bad decisions that extended the progression by a couple years.

But yes, the first years could be rough since you have to move around.
In my case, I was a fresh immigrant, I was single, so it didn't matter.
I had a shitty car and all my belongings fitted in a bag.
So when i had to move, It would take me 30 minutes to get ready ! :)

Now for the flying, the best flying was in the 703 and instructing world. Shitty life conditions, but the flying itself was fun.
The 705 flying is not that fun but...

Return to “Flight Training”