Tail wheel in GTHA?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shuelin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tail wheel in GTHA?

Post by shuelin »

anyone know of tail wheel training in the greater toronto hamilton area? edenvale does, but all others south of collingwood and west of buttonville seems to be limited or non existant. any current recommendations?
thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Tail wheel in GTHA?

Post by Bede »

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

I don't even want to ask what it costs per hour, especially out of the Toronto island airport, has a nice website though,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

The aircraft shown on that website is not a tail wheel. No info on the website about what other aircraft he offers. Prices seem high compared to other, larger flight schools which have a lot more flexibility on scheduling.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:51 am https://alecmyersflighttraining.com ?
This guy knows his stuff.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Skymark wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 pm The aircraft shown on that website is not a tail wheel. No info on the website about what other aircraft he offers. Prices seem high compared to other, larger flight schools which have a lot more flexibility on scheduling.
You get what you pay for. I don’t know the guy but if I was in the business of instructing full time, this is how I’d do it.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

redlaser wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:23 am I don't even want to ask what it costs per hour, especially out of the Toronto island airport, has a nice website though,
So nice that it even tells you his prices ;-)

https://alecmyersflighttraining.com/info/prices/

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Prices seem high compared to other, larger flight schools which have a lot more flexibility on scheduling.
Just for reference, the prices presented on that website are less than what I was billed out at when I did advanced tailwheel and amphib training on the customer's plane. If a busy flying school is offering you tailwheel training be alert, it is not their main service, and perhaps not their strength in training.....

shuelin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shuelin »

Bede wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:51 am https://alecmyersflighttraining.com ?
I didnt see anything about tail, but i have reached out for clarification
thx

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

I didn't examine his website in detail but if he is training with a Diamond aircraft his prices must be up there in the hundreds of dollars per hour.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:52 am If a busy flying school is offering you tailwheel training be alert, it is not their main service, and perhaps not their strength in training.....
I think it would depend on the instructor more than the school. Some guys just love tailwheels, and love teaching them. Brampton offered tailwheel training before Covid and still employs a couple of instructors who absolutely love to teach in them, but their Citabria is out of service for now. If I went there for tailwheel training, I wouldn't be hiring the school so much as the instructor, in my mind.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bede wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:22 pm
Skymark wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:09 pm The aircraft shown on that website is not a tail wheel. No info on the website about what other aircraft he offers. Prices seem high compared to other, larger flight schools which have a lot more flexibility on scheduling.
You get what you pay for. I don’t know the guy but if I was in the business of instructing full time, this is how I’d do it.
Yep. I like his business model.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

For those wondering the training with Alec appears to be provided on a Grob G115C, according to his website!

nicklee3272
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nicklee3272 »

Canadian flyers at cykz offers tail wheel training

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Heavy Rayn wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 am For those wondering the training with Alec appears to be provided on a Grob G115C, according to his website!
Which is wonderful, considering Alec doesn't provide tailwheel training and therefore has nothing to do with this thread.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

albertdesalvo wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 pm
Heavy Rayn wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 am For those wondering the training with Alec appears to be provided on a Grob G115C, according to his website!
Which is wonderful, considering Alec doesn't provide tailwheel training and therefore has nothing to do with this thread.
I thought it was clear in my initial post, but I apologize if not, that my purpose of commenting was to clarify the aircraft type that Alec instructs on; therefore implying that he does not provide tail wheel training, hence the relation to the thread.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Sorry has anyone actually contacted him to clarify what airplanes he has? If the most effort you're willing to put to anything is looking at the pictures on a website, you're not going to get very far in getting the answer you want.

I heard from a friend that he bought a Decathalon. No idea if he's training in it but it's worth asking.

moyo26
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by moyo26 »

Upright Aviation Academy in the GTA — CZBA will have its Super Decathlon online soon and offers tailwheel training.
Not listed on the website yet but aircraft is just awaiting TC approval on the certificate.
www.uprightaviation.com

Return to “Flight Training”