Study Time

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Study Time

Post by avsteve1 »

How long did it take you guys to study for the CPL Written from start to finish? Resources used?
---------- ADS -----------

rollaroundapoint
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Study Time

Post by rollaroundapoint »

3 months (including ground school time - I did mine online through pilottraining.ca), while working full-time. That was 10-15 hours of studying per week, with about 3-4 days of full-time studying before the exam date.

Resources: Pilottraining.ca (super comprehensive...maybe too comprehensive sometimes), FTGU, CARs. It was helpful that I did MIFR beforehand, some of it was more review than new knowledge (flight planning with LO charts, more complex performance charts, constant speed props, etc.). For me, the toughest part was keeping all of the knowledge fresh.

One other thing - I was originally scheduled to write the CPAER during summer 2020, and with COVID this eventually got pushed back to the end of November. Not sure what the situation is like for your region, but just a heads-up that you might see your exam date get shifted around.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Bought Harvs CPL end of April 2 years ago and had exams done by the end of July. So 3 ish months. I used my shaper edge CPL, a bit of the aim, and of course Harvs. That worked out well for me. Harvs is a ton of info but sometimes its not explained in the best of ways. Having a secondary textbook is a good idea. That could be anything really, Shaper Edge, . etc.

PilotY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PilotY »

I went hard for 2 weeks and spent about 10 hours a day in that time studying. Walked out with a mark I'm proud of.

My advice would be to really crank hard on Met and Gen. Met will be about 30 questions or more on your exam. I had 34. And it was all theory aside from like 3 Metar TAF questions and 1 GFA. Know your jet engines and turboprops too. TC has a webpage out there outlining "weak knowledge areas" study those bullet points hard cause they will definitely be on your exam.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

PilotY wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:04 am I went hard for 2 weeks and spent about 10 hours a day in that time studying. Walked out with a mark I'm proud of.

My advice would be to really crank hard on Met and Gen. Met will be about 30 questions or more on your exam. I had 34. And it was all theory aside from like 3 Metar TAF questions and 1 GFA. Know your jet engines and turboprops too. TC has a webpage out there outlining "weak knowledge areas" study those bullet points hard cause they will definitely be on your exam.
Just to add for the met side of things. I'm going for my SARMA right now and the Air Command Weather Manual is a must for the SARMA, certainly a good pick up for the CPAER. I wish I had it back then. It just explains weather in more simple terms then other textbooks but hammers down key points at the same time. You can even find PDFs online if you don't wanna pay for the book. Its where TC gets their questions from and the answers are very similar wording to this book.

Return to “Flight Training”