Cost for Private Pilots Licence in Canada for International Students

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Cost for Private Pilots Licence in Canada for International Students

Post by Bede »

photofly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:22 am I don't think you understand the regulations surrounding the permit that you were using.
401.19 (1) The holder of a student pilot permit may act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft of the category for which the permit is endorsed if
(a) the flight is conducted for the purpose of the holder’s flight training;

(d) the flight is conducted under the direction and supervision of a person qualified to provide training toward the permit, licence or rating for which the pilot-in-command experience is required; and
So, the SPP can only be used - for training flights, under the direction of an instructor (i.e. the instructor directs you what to do) and if you need the PIC experience.

I'm sorry you think that rules only apply big cities. As far as I know, the same rules apply across Canada, including small towns. (Why you think that the FTU owner is friend has any relevance to the rules, or even where he or she lives, you'll have to explain.) I get that you think what you did was ok. But as you wrote yourself: "what's the point": the point is, a desire to follow the rules. If you don't want to follow the rules, you needn't bother getting a licence at all.
I think we have a mutual friend who had a 3 man formation team that included his son who only had a SPP. :D :D
---------- ADS -----------

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

I met a guy once who had the better part of 1000 hrs and didn't ever take a flight test to get his PPL. I doubt his flights were signed off by an instructor as "training flights" as most people that knew him didn't realize he didn't have a license. That only surfaced after he crashed at night in smoke, killing himself and his three passengers. I guess since he felt the license was not that important, he probably also felt that a night rating or instrument rating were also not really necessary.

There are a surprising number of people flying around who have done the training but didn't do the test for various reasons, one of the big ones being test anxiety. I understand goldeneagle's situation where he was too young to take the test, but I don't really understand his father's. If you think your skills are good enough to safefly fly around at leisure (particularly if you're taking any passengers), then they are probably good enough to pass the test. I don't remember there being any major gotchas on it.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Bede wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:09 pm I think we have a mutual friend who had a 3 man formation team that included his son who only had a SPP. :D :D
And I know we have other mutual friends who still post here and have done the same. But none of them are writing "what's the point" or making out there isn't one.
Posthumane wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:33 pm I met a guy once who had the better part of 1000 hrs and didn't ever take a flight test to get his PPL. I doubt his flights were signed off by an instructor as "training flights" as most people that knew him didn't realize he didn't have a license. That only surfaced after he crashed at night in smoke, killing himself and his three passengers. I guess since he felt the license was not that important, he probably also felt that a night rating or instrument rating were also not really necessary.
And there was a gentleman who crashed his Cub at CYKZ a couple of years ago, killing only himself. He had a whole bunch of hours and never took his flight test either.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

When I instruct, having a student fly without authorization is an automatic "you need to find another instructor."

If a student is safe enough to get signed out to do whatever they want goldeneagle suggested, then they're safe enough for an RPP and then they don't need me anymore.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

photofly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:06 pm [You qualified for a PP-R immediately and could have applied for a PPL on your seventeenth birthday, with no additional paperwork.
The PP-R didn't exist in 1976. Maybe you should go back to something where you actually know of what ye speak.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

What’s a training flight?

I have a lot of dual time that I would guess was all considered training by the various instructors riding along. Really though, was it?

I’m not ready for a CPL flight test, so I definitely need more practice flying. Sure it’s pointless because I probably can’t ever pass the written but, I like flying It’s fun.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goldeneagle wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:47 am
photofly wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:06 pm [You qualified for a PP-R immediately and could have applied for a PPL on your seventeenth birthday, with no additional paperwork.
The PP-R didn't exist in 1976.
Why are your family's shenanigans from 45 years ago, when today's regulations, inspection regime and licensing structure didn't exist, even remotely relevant to this thread about the cost of getting a PPL in 2021?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

photofly wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:49 am Why are your family's shenanigans from 45 years ago, when today's regulations, inspection regime and licensing structure didn't exist, even remotely relevant to this thread about the cost of getting a PPL in 2021?
Just pointing out that using an average of the entire population is not relevant to how long it will take for somebody potentially focussed on 'getting it done'. There are many valid reason other than ability for folks to have more than the minimum required hours when they apply for a license, and the farther away from the big city puppy mill you get, the more those reasons will come to light.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Photofly is right. None of this conversation is relevant.

Here’s the answer.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Having a PPL/CPL/ATPL and competency is not the same thing. I'd rather have a pilot fly me with a PPL that flies 3x a week than a CPL who only flies 1x/month.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:45 pm Having a PPL/CPL/ATPL and competency is not the same thing. I'd rather have a pilot fly me with a PPL that flies 3x a week than a CPL who only flies 1x/month.
Yes and no, level of knowledge is not the same. Plus there are many other factors to take into account (think time on type, total flying hours, other qualifications, name it)

Being a pilot is a whole, not just how often you fly the same 25 nm trip in a month.

Return to “Flight Training”