Cost for a Multi Engine Instrument Rating.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Cost for a Multi Engine Instrument Rating.

Post by mmm..bacon »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 am Hi friends,

After getting your CPL you must get your Multi IFR in order to get a real flying job.
Oh, bullshit! Lots of guys out on the West Coast or in NW. Ontario who've made a career out of flying floats, and have never held a MIFR. "Real Job" my ass!
---------- ADS -----------

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Clearprop913
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clearprop913 »

Overall a decent explanation on the rating itself. However, not all information is correct. Its a Dual 100NM IFR flight containing 2 different locations, approach to minima. Video states 100hrs dual XC.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

mmm..bacon wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 am
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 am Hi friends,

After getting your CPL you must get your Multi IFR in order to get a real flying job.
Oh, bullshit! Lots of guys out on the West Coast or in NW. Ontario who've made a career out of flying floats, and have never held a MIFR. "Real Job" my ass!
Indeed. For an entry level pilot there are becoming more opportunities to get hired doing single engine work. That’s not to say that having a multi rating isn’t going to be valuable, but frequently you can put that off until the opportunity arises, depending on how your career path is working out. Neophyte pilots need to know that there are lots of paths that don’t involve going straight to the right seat.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

I got my twin-IFR at 800 hrs, have I not been really flying until then? I flown with old bush pilots who have more flying skills and have a better resume than most pilots I know, but still don't have a MIFR after 30-40-50 years of flying.

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

lol...this fuckin guy man 🤣

Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 am
That is such a short sighted ridiculous statement

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I know a fine pilot, who has always followed his love for flying in the jobs he's had, with more than 5000 hours, in a number of different countries, and he does not have a multi nor IR. There's more to flying than just aspiring to the airlines. And, there's more flying flying light singles (not so much - if any - automation!)

Return to “Flight Training”