Flight Instructor Rating Costs, Pros and Cons

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flight Instructor Rating Costs, Pros and Cons

Post by CaptainKirk »

Actually, I have to clarify that being a Flight Instructor was one of the most rewarding aspects of my career. I've personally sent dozens of students solo. And sent many more for a successful flight test. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to be one for very long and left as a class 2.

Captain Kirk

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/DRFiE_NAR48 [/YouTube]
---------- ADS -----------

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flight Instructor Rating Costs, Pros and Cons

Post by the-minister31 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:52 am Actually, I have to clarify that being a Flight Instructor was one of the most rewarding aspects of my career. I've personally sent dozens of students solo. And sent many more for a successful flight test. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to be one for very long and left as a class 2.
You made more money as an FO up north than as a class 2 FI? If that is the case, I am sorry you had that experience, but it is not the norm.

If someone's end goal is the airlines, you actually have some very valid points regarding experience and low-time instructor wages. If someone's end goal is teaching, I wouldn't discourage it at all solely based on what you experienced. As you say, it is a very rewarding career and you can easily make more than 50-60k/year as a class 2-1 FI.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”