Unsure of my next steps into becoming a CP

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

LonelyFlight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Unsure of my next steps into becoming a CP

Post by LonelyFlight »

I will be graduating with an honors in chemistry by next year with a GPA around 3.5. I want to pursue my goals of becoming an CP at Jazz. The closest flight school with ATPL course and Jazz pathway is BFS Brampton flight school. It will cost me around 90,000 dollars an investment I am willing to make. My concern is how hard will the curriculum be? In university I take about 4 courses at most per semester, so what would the equivalent be from the ATPL curriculum at BFS? Also, Is there anyone here who attended BFS and got into JAZZ?
---------- ADS -----------

Roarjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Unsure of my next steps into becoming a CP

Post by Roarjo »

By cirriculum are you just referring to bookwork, or the flying as well? Becauae you have to do both, being good in the books does not nescesserily mean youl be able to handle and airplane and vice versa.
Are you willing to go to jazz by building time as a flight instructor and or going up north to gain expeirence and then applying? Because if not thats an awfully big sum of money to gamble on getting hired by Jazz at the end of your course (because its not guarnnteed).

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flyndad »

That would be a huge gamble as Jazz will only take a very small percentage of these guys and depending on the economy etc maybe none.
I would suggest you get your licences and ratings at your own pace and apply to as many operators as possible and build some hours. Do not go the Instructor route if your heart is not in that.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

And what do you mean by CP?

Copilot? Check Pilot? or Chief Pilot? (short road, medium road, long road)

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

A degree in chemistry is probably harder than the ATPL course at Brampton. That's just my speculation though. So I think you will be fine in the books department. The name of the game in these aviation programs is organization and pace. They all move fast and you need to be ready and on top of your stuff. It's really not that difficult, just need to be flexible, adaptable, and optimistic.

You don't need to do Jazz Pathways to get into Jazz. Since you have a degree you already will be a step above lots of applications. I hear the airlines like degrees but I am not in the airlines. There are a couple of checkboxes I see on applications, or on job posting requirements. If you are a graduate from an Aviation School (Seneca, MRU etc) that's ideal, but I've seen on Jazz/AC they like you to either have that or a DEGREE.

Bearskin/Perimeter flow?? Maybe someone on Avcanada can update us on this. If you work for them you use to be able to have a seniority number for Jazz. (I could be off a bit on that statement)

Once you have your CPL, Group 1 IFR ( from any flight school, not just Brampton ) you will need to go to the bush to gain flight hours. Anywhere from 750 - 1500 is a safe bet. Not 100% on that ( timing for when you are done) But West Jet encore just opened up applications for 250 hrs TT...

Also, you will need your IATRA or ATPL exams written to work for Encore/Jazz (and other operators with big boy planes) but if you are getting honors in Chem then I am thinking you will be good in the test department as well. Those exams are self-study. (aerocourse)

As per course load call them and ask, check the curriculum? not trying to steer you from Brampton, I encourage it. I just think you need to humble yourself a bit, like the other guys said they don't take many people. You can shoot for it but it's almost like winning the lotto I think. Furthermore, you are likely to get into Jazz using another method as well! There's not only one way to achieve your goal (Flight instruct for hrs too) Another thing to consider is if you go to Brampton and you finish you might end up on the ramp in Thompson just like a buddy from Harvs Air. And if he was there first he will probably fly before you

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am And what do you mean by CP?

Copilot? Check Pilot? or Chief Pilot? (short road, medium road, long road)

I think he means CPL.

To the OP:

It's easy to search these types of integrated programs out and see all they are selling, but I'd go down to assume local airports and see what the private flight schools have going, cost out your options.

Really, if you have an undergrad degree, I wouldn't bother with an integrated course. Find a flight school and instructor you like and go go go, you could be through CPL/MIFR in a hurry if you're motivated and organized. Under a year.

Cheaper than 90K$ and less opportunity cost because you'll be able to get applications out and maybe land a job sooner. And you will be in control, you won't be committed to a school that perhaps isn't meeting your expectations because you dropped your while wad on them up front.

Plus you Will be able to go flying in jeans and t shirts and not have to dress up like a cadet or whatever...

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

LonelyFlight wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:44 pm I will be graduating with an honors in chemistry by next year with a GPA around 3.5. I want to pursue my goals of becoming an CP at Jazz. The closest flight school with ATPL course and Jazz pathway is BFS Brampton flight school. It will cost me around 90,000 dollars an investment I am willing to make. My concern is how hard will the curriculum be? In university I take about 4 courses at most per semester, so what would the equivalent be from the ATPL curriculum at BFS? Also, Is there anyone here who attended BFS and got into JAZZ?
Sounds like you'll manage well. If your time management skills are solid and you stay on top of the course expectations, there will be no issues. With the GPA and degree you will be soon graduating with, I'd say you will have no problems handling an ATPL course at Brampton...

Be prepared for delays in a fast-tracked program like that due to weather, unforeseen circumstance, etc.

Return to “Flight Training”