help understanding airspaces

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mrmsktg
Rank 0
Rank 0

help understanding airspaces

Post by mrmsktg »

hi guys,
I'm having some questions regarding airspaces.

I want to know what the difference between conflict resolution, traffic information, and separation ??? for me all the THREE mean the same ( that the someone on radio tells you information about the traffic )

also in airspace entry procedure some require clearance and some requires establish two way radio ? for me it sounds the same ? when I establish two way radio it mean I will get clearance isn't it ?

can some one explains the difference between these 5 terms please as it confuses me ??

thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
IMG_9021.jpg
IMG_9021.jpg (878.22 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: help understanding airspaces

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

mrmsktg wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:20 pm conflict resolution, traffic information, and separation
CAR 821 defines Conflict Resolution as:
CAR 821 wrote:The resolution of potential conflicts between IFR/VFR and VFR/VFR aircraft that are radar identified and in communication with ATC.
So 'Conflict Resolution' means resolving existing or potential conflicts between aircraft. Specifically in accordance with the definition, it refers to conflicts between IFR/VFR or VFR/VFR pairs of aircraft. 'Conflict' itself is not formally defined (at least not that I can find), but it means a loss of spacing, or more likely a predicted or potential loss of spacing in the near future.

When required, 'Conflict Resolution' will normally include an instruction to one or more aircraft.

CAR 821 defines Separation as:
CAR 821 wrote:Spacing between aircraft, altitudes, or tracks.
'Separation' means keeping aircraft separated in accordance with separation minima, which stipulate vertical, lateral, and longitudinal separation requirements. These requirements vary depending on the type of airspace and whether or not RADAR service is available. The definition doesn't explicitly say it, but since 'Conflict Resolution' pertains to IFR/VFR or VFR/VFR pairs of aircraft, it seems that separation refers to separation between IFR/IFR pairs of aircraft.

If there is a risk of 'Separation' being lost, it will be corrected with an instruction to one or more aircraft.

CAR 821 defines Traffic Information as:
CAR 821 wrote:Information issued to advise pilots of known or observed air traffic which may be in such proximity to their position or intended route of flight to warrant their attention.
So 'Traffic Information' is just the passing of information without any corresponding instruction (e.g. - "GABC you have helicopter traffic at your 2 O'Clock, two miles").
mrmsktg wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:20 pm also in airspace entry procedure some require clearance and some requires establish two way radio ? ... when I establish two way radio it mean I will get clearance isn't it ?
No, they're not the same. Two-way communication means exactly what it says -- two-way communication. A clearance is permission. To enter Class D airspace, you need to establish two-way communication:

YOU: "Sumspot Tower, this is Cessna 172 GABC."
TOWER: "GABC, this is Sumspot Tower."

You've initiated contact, and they've responded -- two-way communication has been established, you can enter their airspace. No clearance required.

For a Class C airspace, this is inadequate. You would need to hear the words "Cleared into the control zone" or "Cleared into the airspace" or words to that effect with the keyword "Cleared" included. Likewise for Class B airspace. If you're operating IFR, that clearance would normally be included in your initial departure clearance ("Cleared to XYZ airport, flight planned route").

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
robshelle
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by robshelle »

Tower controller here.

Class C airspace - a clearance is required to enter, nuf said.
Class D airspace - 2 way communication must be established.

Ex. Sumspot tower, C172 FXXX 7 miles west inbound for landing.
FXXX, Sumspot Tower, standbys.

You have established 2 way communications, you are good to enter. We will use this as a tool if we are too busy to give you the whole speal to you, but know that you continuing inbound will not cause any conflict ions. We will get back to you.

If we respond “Aircraft calling, stand bye”, then we have not established the 2 way coms, so remain outside the zone.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Traffic information: "Cessna 172 12 o'clock, same altitude, two miles, opposite heading"
Conflict resolution: "Cessna 172 12 o'clock, same altitude, two miles, opposite heading - turn right 30 degrees"

Separation: (two minutes earlier, so no conflict occured) "climb two thousand five hundred" - and to the Cessna "maintain two thousand".

Last edited by photofly on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

robshelle wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:08 pm If we respond “Aircraft calling, stand bye”, then we have not established the 2 way coms, so remain outside the zone.
Interesting. From a pilot's perspective, I would have assumed this also counted as 2 way communication. After all, you communicated with me. Unless you'd specifically tell me otherwise, I would have continued towards the airport. And even then, I would think that *technically* there is 2 way communication so you couldn't really keep me out of your zone.

Is there a definition somewhere as to what counts as 2 way communication?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If a controller doesn't want you to enter a Class D control zone, you will very likely be told "aircraft calling Sumspot tower, remain clear of the Sumspot control zone." Air Traffic Controllers don't like ambiguity.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:02 am If a controller doesn't want you to enter a Class D control zone, you will very likely be told "aircraft calling Sumspot tower, remain clear of the Sumspot control zone." Air Traffic Controllers don't like ambiguity.
I'm wondering what violation you could be slapped with if you acknowledged the transmission and entered the zone anyway. You're not violating a clearance, because you don't need a clearance.

The Canadian class D has always fascinated me. I'm really curious why they dropped the clearance requirement to enter a control zone.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

digits_ wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:21 am I'm wondering what violation you could be slapped with if you acknowledged the transmission and entered the zone anyway. You're not violating a clearance, because you don't need a clearance.
602.31 (1) Subject to subsection (3), the pilot-in command of an aircraft shall

(a) comply with and acknowledge, to the appropriate air traffic control unit, all of the air traffic control instructions directed to and received by the pilot-in-command; and

mrmsktg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrmsktg »

photofly wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:49 am Traffic information: "Cessna 172 12 o'clock, same altitude, two miles, opposite heading"
Conflict resolution: "Cessna 172 12 o'clock, same altitude, two miles, opposite heading - turn right 30 degrees"

Separation: (two minutes earlier, so no conflict occured) "climb two thousand five hundred" - and to the Cessna "maintain two thousand".
thank you guys so much no I understand the difference, however, what I still understand is WHY ?

it seems to me that the difference between the 3 is a little extra pice of info you add to the end of the sentence.
I mean, if in all the 3 scenario " traffic info, separation, and conflict resolution " the tower sees you on the RADAR screen. why in certain airspace they provide you , separation, but not conflict resolution, however if you happen to be in same position but in lower/higher altitude which sometimes leads to be in a different airspace the might provide you with conflict resolution but not separation ???

why they opt out to provide you some info but not the other depends on the airspace you are at ??
it would've made a lot more sense to me if it was depends on how busy they are at the moment .

can some one explains

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The difference is mainly for the ATCO, not for the pilot. If providing separation, they have to keep the plan of where all aircraft are going and make sure none get too close. Conflict resolution is (I think) more ad-hoc, only when there's a conflict do they have to issue an instruction, and for traffic information, all they have to do is tell you about other airplanes -- what you do about it is up to you. The controller doesn't have to worry about it.

The service you get (and the airspace classification) also depend on what facilities are available: separation in a non-RADAR environment is very different to in airspace with RADAR coverage.

OtherRedBaron
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OtherRedBaron »

Another distinction would be that not all class D control zones are transponder airspace, whereas all class C zones are.

Without primary radar or a transponder I assume traffic separation becomes more difficult for ATC, and hence why conflict resolution is "workload permitting".
mrmsktg wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm it would've made a lot more sense to me if it was depends on how busy they are at the moment .
This does happen. At CYOO, for example, I have been told to remain clear of the zone because ATC was too busy at the moment. In practice, that effectively means I was "denied a clearance".

Return to “Flight Training”