help needed: trouble understanding wording on oxygen requirements

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kikwon89
Rank 0
Rank 0

help needed: trouble understanding wording on oxygen requirements

Post by kikwon89 »

hello guys,

just want to make sure everyone knows that i am not a lazy student, i have done my due diligence here trying to understand this on my own all day long. I am now finally giving up asking for some wisdom on this one.

i think i am pretty good with the oxygen requirement for unpressurized aircraft.

if you are flying above 10,000 ~ 13,000, you must have enough oxygen for the portion exceeding 30 min

at altitude above 13,000, now you need to have enough to cover the entire flight at these altitudes

and then it says, aircraft in air transport service - a period of flight of not less than 1 hour ---> does this mean you always need to have minimum of 1 hour worth of oxygen at all times? you always have to have more than 1 hour of oxygen at altitudes above 13,000?

and then,

moving onto pressurized aircraft, this table is very frustrating to read. this is scenario following cabin pressurization failure and following emergency descent, correct?

so you still have your 10% of pax row, they have altitudes between 10,000 ~ 13,000. ---> gotta have oxygen for entire flight exceeding 30 min
and then, above 13,000 ---> entire period of flight
and then, for air transport service ----> a period of flight of not less than
i) 30 min, and (so now your minimum is reduced to only 30 min?)
II) two hours for the flight crew if a/c authorized to fly above FL250

because i) is considering 10 min of rapid descent plus 20 min at 10,000ft?
ii) is the same 10 min for descent plus 110 min at 10,000ft?

at least these are what the notes say right?

i guess emergency descent scenario really changes things up right?

and then lastly,

they have oxygen for all passengers row ----> where you again have to have oxygen for entire flight above 13,000 ft
and then if it is air transport service above 13,000 ft, not less than 10 min is what they have wrote

so now 10 min is your minimum? is this because you need to get the heck out of the current altitude and get to the safe altitude where you don't need the oxygen supply for the passengers?

and also why do they have these two rows of:

10% of the passengers --->

All passengers --->

with same above 13,000ft rules??

am i the only one that is so confused?

Please help
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”