FITEN Examination

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Springbok 2
Rank 3
Rank 3

FITEN Examination

Post by Springbok 2 »

I have to write the Flight Instructor Rating Instructional Techniques (FITEN) examination in order to validate my South African Ultralight Instructor rating here in Canada.

I have been searching the TC website for the FITEN study guide to download but have not managed to locate it. I need to know what I am expected to study. I did the PSTAR a while back and was able to download the guide.

Can anyone help? Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot, too tired or just plain stupid :)
---------- ADS -----------

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE TO SEE THEM COME TRUE: CARL BOENISH

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

TC has numerous exams, although not every exam has a Study & Reference Guide.......but the questions in the alternate exams are usually taken from the overall TC question bank, and could be the same questions found on numerous exams. For example, the exam that a Commercial Heli pilot needs to write to convert to Private Fixed Wing is called the Private Pilot Aeroplane Rating - Alternate Category (PARAC). There is no individual Study & Reference Guide for this exam, rather candidates are instructed to review the same Air Law and General Knowledge information that a normal PPL candidate would be tested on, so if you wanted to do the PARAC exam, you would review the normal Study & Reference Guide for the PPL and focus on the mentioned areas.

With the FITEN exam, although I've never seen it, I'd assume it's the same deal. The questions will be very similar, if not the same questions from the standard AIRAF exam that you write when you do the initial Class 4 Flight Instructor Rating in Canada. You focus on the Instructional Techinique questions, which I assume is all the FITEN will be based upon. This info can be found in the TC Flight Instructor Guide (Flight Instructor Guide (Revised 1998) - TP 975E) There are also a few versions of study material at your local pilot shop aimed at Instructor Rating candidates. Although they may be a little pricey when you only really need the Instructional Techinique questions, you may want to check them out.

I hope this info is correct, TC Guy would probably be best to comment.

Good Luck.

Springbok 2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Springbok 2 »

Thanks Ralliart,

Info much appreciated. I will follow up on the pointers you gave me.

MG

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE TO SEE THEM COME TRUE: CARL BOENISH

Springbok 2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Springbok 2 »

Just got a call from TC. They are accepting my South African Ultralight Instructor rating after reviewing the syllabus. I am therefore happy to report that I do not have to write the FITEN exam.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by marakii »

Springbok 2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2006 12:36 pm Just got a call from TC. They are accepting my South African Ultralight Instructor rating after reviewing the syllabus. I am therefore happy to report that I do not have to write the FITEN exam.
Do I have to write the FITEN exam if I already wrote the class 4 AIRAF exam ?
Thanks

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Re:

Post by praveen4143 »

marakii wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am
Do I have to write the FITEN exam if I already wrote the class 4 AIRAF exam ?
Thanks
Are you planning to instruct on ultralight aircraft? If you have a class 4 instructor rating, that already allows you to do that without an additional rating. If you're curious about having to write it for the class 4 instructor rating, then no, the AIRAF is the only exam you need.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: FITEN Examination

Post by marakii »

I’ve read this on www.pilotfriend.com regarding the ultralight instructor rating ( valid?)

If you currently hold a PPL-A or higher, the flight time is reduced from 50 hours on Ultralight Aeroplanes to 25. If you currently hold or have a held a Flight Instructors rating you are exempted from the ground school and FITEN test. Credits for the RPP holder are not available at this time.

Return to “Flight Training”