Brampton or Burlington??

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Melo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Brampton or Burlington??

Post by Melo »

I know this topic has been beaten to death but I can't find any recent reviews or opinions about the two schools.

I did a into flight at each school. Brampton was great, the instructor really seemed to enjoy what he does and seemed dedicated and motivated to train his students as best as he can, i recently heard he is no longer there though . I have read a lot of negative comments regarding Brampton but some of those threads go back to 2005/2006. Is it still like that??? Another thing about Brampton is their $200 member fee, can't understand that at all.

As for Burlington, it's hard to get that professional feeling when you walk in...it looks like you walked into a high school portable. I also did a intro there and the instructor shut off my mic during the flight so all my questions went unanswered so after after a few minutes I figured I might as well shut up. I won't rule Burlington out cause of that, I'd just make sure I would get another instructor.

Burlington is closer to me but if the BFC has gotten a better rep I would consider them.

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions for either school??

p.s looking to obtain PPL/CPL/Multi IFR
---------- ADS -----------

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Any school is only as good as the instructor you get. Everything else is a secondary consideration (type of aircraft, how fancy the ground facilities are, etc).

Get the best instructor you can find, where "best" is the person who can teach you the most ASAP. This doesn't mean he's going to be your best friend.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I'd go with Brampton (Yes, I do work there). I find the maintenence on the a/c to be better at BFC and also the atmosphere. If you'd like more detailed info, PM me.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

i agree with mcrit... im also at brampton.

Never buy 1$ tickets
hytymes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hytymes »

I'm training in Burlington. I chose Burlington because it is convenient and works with my circumstances. I am happy with their operation, facilities, instructors, instructor availability and aircraft.

The practice area is fairly close by, even for a 152. Most of my exercises are completed in 1.1 - 1.4 hours. The longer ones are generally because I'm having too much fun.

When I was investigating flight training they responded and answered my emailed questions promptly. Email them any questions you have. Otherwise, I'd be happy to try to answer based on my personal experiences so far. PM me for further opinions.

I understand they are adding two instructors for a total of 6 full-time and 6 part-time. They have 6 152's available and airworthy. and they are offering PPL groundschool starting Oct. 13, Saturdays 9am - 12pm.

Whatever your decision, good luck!!
hytymes

At age 4, I fell in love with airplanes. More than a quarter century later I've decided to do something about it.
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

Once again it all depends on the Instructor you have. I fly at Burlington and certainly find some Instructors more helpful then others and I only fly with them.

Go to Burlington 1) It is closer. 2) They hired a crap load of instructors now. 3)They have ground school starting soon. 4)No membership fees.

wanna talk about Burlington? PM me.

highman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by highman »

BFC has more planes, more instructors, professional environment.. burlington.. hmm.. portable flying club

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Come to see us at Peninsulair.

Melo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Melo »

would love to but a little too far.

WetJet
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WetJet »

At the end of the day, no company is going to give you a job based on where you did your licence. Go the the school that gives you the most experienced instructor. A Class 2 instructor will save you money in the end because they will do proper briefings and not waste time in the air. Both schools are loaded with instructors that are building time and trying to get on with Georgian or Skylink... avoid them, try to get an instructor that is happy to instruct.

skimeister
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skimeister »

I'm training at Burlington right now and yes, pretty much every instructor there is to build time. Having said that, GOOD LUCK finding an instructor anywhere that isn't planning to move on after they get enough PIC. IMHO, time-building and being a good teacher are not mutually exclusive so just because some guys are instructing to build up hours, doesn't mean that they aren't genuinely interested in your success as a pilot and won't give you 110%. So far I've flown with a number of instructors in Burlington and haven't felt like I was there paying them for their PIC time.

To each is his own, if you like the laid-back easy going atmosphere then you'll definitely find that at Burlington. Yes, the facilities are very low-brow and classroom/visual aids/etc are quite dated. Personally for me lack of shiny "professional" facilities and toys is compensated by that "club" feeling where I can just drop by, have a coffee and chat with an instructor at any time. Aircraft, although cosmetically weathered, are very well maintained mechanically. Training area is within 5 minutes flight from the airpark in a 152. The airpark itself is very quiet which means less time on the taxiway and more time doing circuits to your heart's content. I like it.

Haven't been to Brampton yet, perhaps I'll check it out when I'm ready to do my CPL.

PS: at the end of the day, WetJet said it: employers don't care where you get your license. So do it where you can get it faster and cheaper.

Melo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Melo »

Hey skimeister

Thanks for the email. I have decided to go with Burlington as they are so close to me and I like the fact that the practice area is so close and it's not as busy as other schools. I figure it's good enough for PPL!

Thanks all for your input!

Return to “Flight Training”