Shopping for flying schools in BC Lower Mainland

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Aug
Rank 1
Rank 1

Shopping for flying schools in BC Lower Mainland

Post by Aug »

Hello all...I am new to the forum :-)

I am looking at undertaking my PPL this fall and I am currently shopping for flying schools in the Lower Mainland of BC..

Geographically, Langley BC works for me the best, and there are two schools to choose from ...Langley Flying School (Cherokee's) and Skyquest (172's)

Has anyone here been to either of these two schools and if so, what did they think? Did they get their money's worth and do they think that they are good schools for the PPL (Not gonna do commercial)?

Having said that, what are the opinions of other schools around the Lower Mainland? I know that 3Lines and Abbotsford Flight Centre are gone...

TIA!

Aug
---------- ADS -----------

visual approach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Shopping for flying schools in BC Lower Mainland

Post by visual approach »

I have not been there myself, but I have heard a lot of good things about Skyquest. Professional staff and good machines.

son: Dad, when I grow up I want to be a pilot!

Dad: Son, i'm sorry, but you can't do both!
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Go yourself and "interview" them. You are the consumer here, and you are going to be spending a schwack of cash there, so make sure that you are comfortable with the outfit. Is it well kept? Floors clean, Hangar clean and well-lit, tools neatly organised? A/C look to be in good shape? What are the instructors like? You'll be spending a fair amount of time shoulder-to-shoulder with them, so if you don't think that you'll get along with one, then perhaps consider someone/where else..

I'm sure if you look through here you'll find no end of posts about finding and selecting a flight school.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
wxnut
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wxnut »

Langley Flying School Rocks my friend... i did a fam with them and it was fantastic. It's like a little community by it self and it becomes like a family. Relatively small and fun :)

Langley Airport's definately a good airport to practice precise approaches on Runway 01/19.

Good Luck !

Aug
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aug »

North Shore wrote:Go yourself and "interview" them. You are the consumer here, and you are going to be spending a schwack of cash there, so make sure that you are comfortable with the outfit. Is it well kept? Floors clean, Hangar clean and well-lit, tools neatly organised? A/C look to be in good shape? What are the instructors like? You'll be spending a fair amount of time shoulder-to-shoulder with them, so if you don't think that you'll get along with one, then perhaps consider someone/where else..

I'm sure if you look through here you'll find no end of posts about finding and selecting a flight school.
As a matter of fact, I did do just that with the two flight schools.. it seems that each have their own strengths..such as Langely having 15 instructors , Piper low wings and instructor written study materials with Skyquest having better a/c availability, nicer looking facilities and fewer students...

Just looking for opinions from people who have actually been through the programs...

mavtar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mavtar »

so does anyone have more info on these two schools?
experiences?
any knowledge on the history of the schools?

ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ragequit »

Last edited by ragequit on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I haven't used either school for instruction, but I share a hangar with one of Skyquest's instructors. He gave me a checkout before I bought my RV, and i've flown with him a few times in his own aircraft. He's exactly the type of person you want for an instructor... Patient, thorough, and seems to know just how much workload to give you without overloading you.

I agree with the previous suggestions that you go talk to some instructors at each school and see which one you like best. I understand that LFS has been there longer, I don't know if that matters or not. Learning in Cessnas vs. learning in Pipers will be a personal choice... Do you like low wings or high wings? If you don't know, go for a fam flight with each outfit, and see for yourself. It won't cost much in the grand scheme of things.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

I'd recommend LFS. I've never been to Skyquest so no comment about that school. I attended LFS from 0 time to CPL multi IFR and IATRA. I went from there to my first job as FO in a B1900D. Great staff, and as has been mentioned, it's like a family environment. Also the cherokee is a wonderful training machine. Very stable and makes an easy transition to the Piper Seneca for multi training.

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

Having been to LFS, CFC, PFC & CPA. I highly recommend LFS to anyone who asks me

Return to “Flight Training”