Calgary Flying Club or Calgary Flight Training Centre?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Calgary Flying Club or Calgary Flight Training Centre?

Post by I Я Instructor »

shamrock104 wrote:What is SAFTI?
Springbank Aero Flight Training Inc
Strega wrote: Maybe the school lacks skilled instructors, well maintained aircraft, and is generally less than professional.
Strage, as the person responsible for maintenance I take that comment personally. I can honestly say that "I" make sure the aircraft go into maintenance as per our maintenance schedule and I address all other issues as laid out in our MCM. Now, you seem to have quite an opinion about SAFTI so I would like to know when or IF you have taken any training with us or are you just badmouthing for the sake of badmouthing.

Shiny Side Up. Thanks for the comment. The problem wasn't the Indian students but the fact that they took over the place. Foreign contracts have to be well monitored or they fall apart.

As a whole, SAFTI has gone through some major changes. There is a new CFI. We have 3 172's available for immediate training AND rental and we're days away from signing off the 150 (recommended for time building vs. training).
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 654321 »

I Я Instructor wrote:As a whole, SAFTI has gone through some major changes. There is a new CFI. We have 3 172's available for immediate training AND rental and we're days away from signing off the 150 (recommended for time building vs. training).
Sorry, what is the deal with the C150?

When will it be available and for how much?

Vimana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vimana »

Strega wrote:
I Я Instructor wrote:
Strega wrote:umm

Maybe the school really sucks?
Yes, that was very insightful... now sit down until you have something useful to say.

Ok

Maybe the school lacks skilled instructors, well maintained aircraft, and is generally less than professional.
HA HA While I agree it could have been more eloquently put, Strega has a point. There doesn't seem to be a lot of quality consistency between schools - there even seems to be huge variances within the same institutions. (especially when it comes to the quality of the instructors and their ability to teach)

I have personally been lucky in the fact that I have a STELLAR instructor who I love.... unfortunately it's the school and how they operate as a business that I am currently having an issue with. (the maintenance guys are great though :wink: )

Are there any regulating bodies that monitor these schools on a regular basis? Similar to ISO or the like? (Please pardon my ignorance in this dept. as I am very new to the world of aviation)

Last edited by Vimana on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

I Я Instructor wrote:
shamrock104 wrote:What is SAFTI?
Springbank Aero Flight Training Inc
Strega wrote: Maybe the school lacks skilled instructors, well maintained aircraft, and is generally less than professional.
Strage, as the person responsible for maintenance I take that comment personally. I can honestly say that "I" make sure the aircraft go into maintenance as per our maintenance schedule and I address all other issues as laid out in our MCM. Now, you seem to have quite an opinion about SAFTI so I would like to know when or IF you have taken any training with us or are you just badmouthing for the sake of badmouthing.

Shiny Side Up. Thanks for the comment. The problem wasn't the Indian students but the fact that they took over the place. Foreign contracts have to be well monitored or they fall apart.

As a whole, SAFTI has gone through some major changes. There is a new CFI. We have 3 172's available for immediate training AND rental and we're days away from signing off the 150 (recommended for time building vs. training).

All of my info is based on information than has been confirmed by the membership here on Avcanada.....

Look back at the thread "the three stooges" (the thread about all of the planes getting lost and delaying a medevac flight)

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Vimana wrote:
Are there any regulating bodies that monitor these schools on a regular basis? Similar to ISO or the like? (Please pardon my ignorance in this dept. as I am very new to the world of aviation)
TC's Flight training division monitors the schools, and should be paying them a visit annually, or more often if necessary.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
I Я Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I Я Instructor »

CADOR 2008C1459.

Ok.. I would like to point out that ONE of the four aircraft was SAFTI's.

Second, and I guess this will go back to "shiny side up"... it was a foreign student who got himself into this trouble without an instructor.

Third, NONE of the people working here at that time are presently employed with us.

Did SAFTI screw up by letting this person go out there unprepared? YES! Should you chastise me or the CFI for this CADOR? *shrug* That's your call. All I can say is NO ONE from that time is still employed with us.

Vimana: There are different levels of instructors but they all had to start somewhere. SAFTI is trying to keep on open line of communication between the instructors and students. If you had that issue, with us, you could bring it up to the CFI's attention and we would try our best to find a solution.

Fact of the matter is that that every person is unique and has unique needs. Sometimes it's hard to find an instructor that can satisfy all of them.

654321: Because of respect for Joe I will not post any further information here however I encourage you to look us up on the web under the "training" section.

Vimana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vimana »

I Я Instructor wrote:CADOR 2008C1459.

Ok.. I would like to point out that ONE of the four aircraft was SAFTI's.

Second, and I guess this will go back to "shiny side up"... it was a foreign student who got himself into this trouble without an instructor.

Third, NONE of the people working here at that time are presently employed with us.

Did SAFTI screw up by letting this person go out there unprepared? YES! Should you chastise me or the CFI for this CADOR? *shrug* That's your call. All I can say is NO ONE from that time is still employed with us.

Vimana: There are different levels of instructors but they all had to start somewhere. SAFTI is trying to keep on open line of communication between the instructors and students. If you had that issue, with us, you could bring it up to the CFI's attention and we would try our best to find a solution.

Fact of the matter is that that every person is unique and has unique needs. Sometimes it's hard to find an instructor that can satisfy all of them.

654321: Because of respect for Joe I will not post any further information here however I encourage you to look us up on the web under the "training" section.
Nope the issue wasn't with you guys at all........ I don't fly out of the YYC or area - I have actually never been to your outfit. My comment was more of a general one. And the issue I had - I did take up with my school and it was sorted. Glad to hear you guys are making an effort to communicate though - that would make me feel better as a student for sure. (as it can be intimidating sometimes)

Just to clarify I do understand all instructors have to start somewhere. My current one (the fantastic one) only has aprox. 400 hrs - despite that fact it is their love of teaching and constant strive to improve their game that makes them a great instructor. In fact, the level of negativity I was encountering (from different sources) early on in my lessons almost made me rethink the decision to go for a PPL - it was the instructor that I have now who turned everything around for me. (Hats off to great instructors - takes guts to go up there with us newbies :wink: )

doug90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doug90 »

CFTC, is really bad school, they try to steal as much as they can, I paid more than 12000 and I haven't done my half of my training. please stay away from this school please, I don't know how I can return my money, if someone knows how I cam complain or sue them, please tell me.

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

doug90 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:10 am CFTC, is really bad school, they try to steal as much as they can, I paid more than 12000 and I haven't done my half of my training. please stay away from this school please, I don't know how I can return my money, if someone knows how I cam complain or sue them, please tell me.

"really bad" is an understatement. The owner has had six instructors quit on him in about the last 18 months.
He fails to answer student's direct questions regarding costs when in fact he charges exactly double the going rate
for a DA-20 and Twin Commanche at $700 plus instructor.
He is also notorious for failing to honor undertakings, not paying wages and preying upon gullible students
who are impressed by his ballroom size reception area and simulators that are in reality among the earliest
serial numbers and still operating on ancient hardware.
If you want to learn to fly in that area, look around, ask at the Olds flying club.
There is a new school near by and a number of
free lance instructors available locally.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Yikes. I remember a guy training there in the early 1990s excitedly telling me about the great loans the were giving him at an interest rate higher than my Visa.

They have changed hands many times since then.

I actually like one of the former owners I know as an acquaintance, but alas he doesn't even fly anymore.

Never put money on account!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Of course this page has not mentioned that the Calgary Flying Club is closed due to Covid 19 concerns.

You might be able to get flight lessons right now at the other place.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Nope. They're closed too. :(

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

I'm a freelance instructor around the area, however am grounded due to the covid-19 pandemic. I do offer ground school options online if you are just simply wanting to refresh yourself or keep yourself moving in the right direction in terms of licensing. My company is KR Flight Instruction. Give it a search in the ol' facebook and shoot me a message if you are interested.

Return to “Flight Training”