Selkirk College

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

skiingmania
Rank 0
Rank 0

Selkirk College

Post by skiingmania »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone can tell me any information about the aviation program at Selkirk College. Is it a well known school? What about the flying school in Penticton BC. Southern Skies Aviation.

thanks a bunch
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Selkirk College

Post by iflyforpie »

Selkirk is a pretty main-line college and as far as I've heard is pretty good. There is no night in Castlegar so you have to go somewhere else to get night rated. But they're in some of the most challenging terrain to fly in Southern BC.

I used to work at Southern Skies and took my CPL/IFR there. There's a good experience level behind the instructors and the training is unique and out-of-the-box. You can do most of your training on the Citabria if you wish and do aerobatics and multi-IFR in house.

They have cheap accommodation right at the airport and Penticton is a small enough airport that you won't burn up a ton of hours on the ground or in transit to a practice area.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
fly-drink-chicks-music
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fly-drink-chicks-music »

Im first year at Selkirk currently.

Great program, great atmosphere and training is excellent. All the teachers are retired pilots, and 1 part time. Im from Ontario and heard about Selkirk from many people, seemed like a good choice.

It is one of the main flt colleges in canada with confederation, sault, seneca and the other few out west.

They only take 18 students a year, and our new facility located right at the airport is awesome.

Let me no if you have any other Q's.

tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiny »

There is no night in Castlegar so you have to go somewhere else to get night rated.
Does the school just take you to another airport (eg CAD4)?

fly-drink-chicks-music
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fly-drink-chicks-music »

No. Second semster of second year you move to Abbortsford. You do your night and IFR there.

HuD 91gt
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HuD 91gt »

I went through the program and I thought it was fantastic. Night + IFR in YXX, which was a good experience as well as you get a little more diversity working in other airports/centers etc. Top notch instructors with top notch training. I do believe the course has changed a bit since I was there. I understand there is no longer calculus or physics in the curriculum, which made the program so difficult for so many people. These such courses were replaced with other "aviation" related studies. New simulator's, new building and equipement. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place to anyone. Coming out of the program you realize life isn't exactly as they spelt it out to you(The course is will train you to become an "Airline" pilot"), but the training will definetly help in the future.

At the end of the program you may want to leave the Kootney's and never go back, I did. But a few years down the road, I actually see it as a place I could live for the rest of my life. It's a beautiful area. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Krashman
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Krashman »

Does the Southern Skys School have a college program too?

Having trouble reaching ATC? Squak 7500
Ref Plus 10
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ref Plus 10 »

At last tally, no, Southern Skies does not have a college program. The nearest to Penticton is Okanagan College's Commercial Aviation Diploma Program, run through Southern Interior Flight Centre at CYLW

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I did my PPL at SIFC and wasn't too impressed. It was the folks at Southern Skies that really taught me how to fly and filled in a ton of holes in my previous training. :mrgreen:

skiingmania
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skiingmania »

iflyforpie wrote:I did my PPL at SIFC and wasn't too impressed. It was the folks at Southern Skies that really taught me how to fly and filled in a ton of holes in my previous training. :mrgreen:
what do you think of the integrated commercial program that Southern Skies in Penticton has, over going to Selkirk College and doing their program there? I know the program at penticton takes about 10-12 months and costs around 43,000 minimum and that Selkirk College costs about 50,000, so if you know any information about either which would you recommend. What about the connections that Penticton has. I heard that they can guarantee you a job once you are done. What do you think of that or should I be weary of that.

Thanks if any one knows about either college please feel free to comment.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I was involved in the development of the Integrated CPL program at Southern Skies so I can't really give an unbiased opinion, but as far as time and cost savings goes it is hard to beat. The program didn't exist when I took my CPL but the lack of a rigid program allowed me to double dip a lot of hours and get a Group 1 IFR before my CPL, something most college programs don't let you do.

As far as guaranteeing jobs, don't listen to any school that says they do. Most will have testimonies from star students on how they went directly to Jazz or some other 'dream job' but results are not typical and they are often given a foot up sometimes based on good work but sometimes on patronage.

I understand that Selkirk has one position for a Jazz first officer upon completion of the program. Southern Skies doesn't have any official partnerships, but their alumnus is pretty loyal and can offer various connections.

yzfer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yzfer »

iflyforpie wrote:I understand that Selkirk has one position for a Jazz first officer upon completion of the program. Southern Skies doesn't have any official partnerships, but their alumnus is pretty loyal and can offer various connections.
From what i've gathered, for the past two years jazz has given an interview to one selkirk student (among others from flight colleges across the coutry). the first year they did this, all the grads were give jobs (about 16 i believe), the second year, they once again interviewed aviation college students from across the country (including one selkirk grad), but no one got a job as they wern't hiring at the time. Too early to tell how long this may last, but its potentially a foot in the door at the very least.

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coast-dog »

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it - wealth of industry experience in the instructional staff, good geographic area to gain flying experience.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I went to Selkirk from 88 - 90 and I loved every minute of it. I also made life-long friends and important contacts, so overall it was a great experience for me. The instructors were fantastic, the program was well put-together, and I learned a LOT.

Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend Selkirk to any pilot thinking of attending a flight school.

Return to “Flight Training”