Glider License

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Glider License

Post by sdogg0 »

I am a fixed wing PPL student and am running out of cash this summer, I still want to fly and was wondering about obtaining by gliders license. I live near the KW area and was wondering if anyone is a member or has flown at the glider club near Elmira. Also what are the min. requirements for license. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Glider License

Post by nightbird »

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... htm#421_24
DIVISION V - PILOT LICENCE
421.24 Gliders - Requirements

(1) Age

An applicant shall be a minimum of sixteen years of age.

(2) Medical Fitness
(amended 2007/12/30; previous version)

(a) An applicant shall hold a Category 4 Medical Certificate valid for a pilot licence - glider.

(b) An applicant who meets the medical conditions specified on and signs the Civil Aviation Medical Declaration shall be deemed to have met the Category 4 Medical Standards.

(c) The licence is maintained by a valid Category 1, 3 or 4 Medical Certificate.
(amended 2007/12/30; previous version)

(3) Knowledge

An applicant shall have:

(a) completed a minimum of 15 hours of glider pilot ground school instruction on the following subjects:

(i) Canadian Aviation Regulations,

(ii) Aerodynamics and Theory of flight,

(iii) Meteorology,

(iv) Airframes and Systems,

(v) Flight Instruments,

(vi) Navigation,

(vii) Flight Operations,

(viii) Emergency Procedures, and

(ix) Human factors including pilot decision-making, and

(b) obtained a minimum of 60% in the written examination Pilot Licence - Glider (GLIDE).

(4) Experience

(a) Within the 24 months preceding the date of application for the licence, an applicant shall have completed a minimum of 6 hours of glider pilot flight training, under the direction and supervision of the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating - Glider.

(b) The flight training shall include:

(i) a minimum of 1 hour dual instruction flight time, and

(ii) 2 hours solo flight time, including a minimum of 20 takeoffs and 20 landings.

(5) Skill

(a) Within the 12 months preceding the date of application for the licence, an applicant shall demonstrate in flight and on the ground familiarity with, and the ability to perform both normal and emergency manoeuvres appropriate to the glider used in the test and with a degree of competency appropriate to the holder of a pilot licence - glider.
(amended 1998/03/23; previous version)

(b) An applicant shall submit a letter from the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating - Glider, qualified on the method of launch for the glider used for the test, attesting to the applicant’s satisfactory completion of the skill requirement.
(amended 1998/03/23; previous version)

(6) Credits

(a) Knowledge

(i) An applicant who holds a pilot permit or licence in any other category of aircraft, except ultra-light aeroplanes, shall be deemed to have met 10 of the 15 hours ground school instruction requirement.

(ii) An applicant who holds a pilot licence - aeroplane may be deemed to have met the ground school instruction requirement.

(iii) An applicant who holds a pilot licence - aeroplane shall be deemed to have met the written examination requirement.

(b) Experience

An applicant who holds a pilot licence - aeroplane category shall have the total glider pilot flight training time reduced to a minimum of 3 hours, which shall include the minimum flight training specified.
This is a link to the Soaring association of Canada, click on where can I fly on the left side and try to locate a club near you, hope you make it, I wanna do it next year, right now I'm too bussy with all the training.

taylor498
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by taylor498 »

Edit: Nightbird you beat me to it!

SDogg, good luck with whatever you choose.

stk_n_rdr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stk_n_rdr »

Min requirement for license are as follows:

- 15 hours ground school,
- 60% pass on the License exam,
- 6 hours glider training. You should have dual 1 hour and for solo you should have 2 hours and 20 flights,
- class 4 Medical,
- a letter from an instructor to confirm your skill..

About the Club, I would suggest York Soaring located near Arthur. The reasons are:
- a large fleet of club ships (twin- and single seaters),
- 4 towplanes available on field,
- open for flying every day from May to September (Wx permitting),
- last but not least, a wealth of experience in glider training.

I fly there as well, so let me know if you have other questions. And by any means, do as I did before I joined York, check with the other clubs as well and see which fits you best.

Good luck,

Sorin

sdogg0
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sdogg0 »

Do they have a website with information relative to becoming a member??

viennatech
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by viennatech »

If one already holds a valid PPL and Cat 3 medical would they still have to go thru all requirements to add the Glider license/endorsement?

I had thought of going to a local field to try out this powerless flight but wasn't sure if they snub the power guys or not!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Go for it. Gliding is like no other kind of flying, and it seems to have that camadrie that has been pretty much lost at local flying clubs and organizations.

Unlike all the powered requirements when you go from country to country, there are soaring schools all over the world that welcome you and make it easy to check out in high performance aircraft and learn to take on new challanges like wave or ridge soaring. It is a quietly spectacular part of aviation.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
stk_n_rdr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stk_n_rdr »

sdogg0 wrote:Do they have a website with information relative to becoming a member??
In case you didn't find it yet yourself, there it is:

http://www.yorksoaring.com/
viennatech wrote:If one already holds a valid PPL and Cat 3 medical would they still have to go thru all requirements to add the Glider license/endorsement?

I had thought of going to a local field to try out this powerless flight but wasn't sure if they snub the power guys or not!
With the PPL you'll not have to write the exam and the minimum flight instruction is less. But that minimum does not mean too much. You'll have to show you can fly the glider, towed/winched and in free flight. You'll have to learn to manage your energy to be able to make it back to the field. Unless you already are familiar with a taildragger, the glider will help you understand the rudder.

A power pilot myself, I can tell you I never have the same satisfaction after a long flight of, let's say, 5+ hour in a power plane as I have it flying the sailplane.

You are welcome at York Soaring as I am sure you are at any other gliding club.

Sorin

Return to “Flight Training”