Serious answers where will I get funds from?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Serious answers where will I get funds from?

Post by cap41 »

Assuming you don't have mortgage, heat bill bills, etc. $550 than becomes astronomical.:)
---------- ADS -----------

Melkor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Melkor »

Again depends how much you want this... I have a mortgage on a small 3 1/2 condo with a wife who doesnt work anymore bc we just had a baby, she gets about 250$ per 2 weeks from RQAP, I work weekends (thursday through sunday) for about 45 hours and I fly monday through thursday... I hate that job but it pays the bills until I can get settled in aviation...

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

I agree with you, you have to want it. Everything i see on this site tells me that there are not too many high paying jobs.. Im lucky i am going into it as a financially stable adult, i am doing it as a hobby. But, my son is trying to make it a career. Im just keeping fingers crossed that he can find something that will pay the bills. but, i guess so is everyone else.

Melkor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Melkor »

Your son is probably in his 20s im guessing he has plenty of time to find a well paying/stable job. Id be more scared if he's 35 like I am... But ill do everything I can to get in the airlines...

bernk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bernk »

Nice to see I'm not the only one starting from scratch at 30… Though admitedly my goal isn't an airline carrier. I just want something to split my time at a computer with.

Have any of you recently done a CPL with float rating in BC? How much (on average) would that cost if I was ale to pay up front and dedicate myself 100% to it?

SharkBait
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SharkBait »

Wanted to be a pilot since I was 6 and was lucky enough to have parents teach me good work ethics and how to be good with money.

16, I joined the army reserves (infantry) coop program in high school, saved my first 10k in 8 months though basic training. Went on to do a tour in Douchebagistan at 19 and saved every penny I could (aside from beers with the lads) between 16-20. Got out of the army at 21 with a cool 60k saved entirely for flight training. Starting flight school at a local place in town on the 152 to save those dollar bills. Currently, and reluctantly, back at the rents till i'm done my PPL. After that, i'm getting a new job though because I can't stand living at the rents longer than necessary.

Although the money is attractive, believe me, IT IS NOT for everyone, but the army reserves is an option. They do give out annual bursaries to college and university students, plus a part time job, which can be full time if your willing to foot the bill in flesh, blood, sweat and tears.

I learned a lot doing it though, made some awesome life long friends/ connections, some of whom are in aviation themselves, and what I learned in the army actually applied to some of what I have been taught so far in aviation, along with the life skills I've learned. Employers look kindly on military service as well.

IF I got advice for anyone starting out, bite the bullet, work your ass off and make some sacrifices if you want to do this bad enough.

tuskegee0147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tuskegee0147 »

I worked at a Bank for a few years overseas
came to Canada in 2008 with all my savings
Got my CPL multi engine and instrument rating
went through the hassles of renewing a visa for 2 years
At this point i almost gave up as i couldnt fly with an expired visa
My point is that if you dream it, you can achieve it
Its not easy as some days you will be irritated and frustrated
I try to keep the end goal alive and that's what keep me going
Im now a PR and trying to work for a few months to save $$$$
Hopefully after that i will move up North and get a job flying
Whatever you decide just keep the dream alive and one day you will get there.

wabi101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wabi101 »

v6g wrote:If I was just out of high school with no real qualification for a decent paying job and wanted to be a pilot, here is what I would do:

I would train to become a railway conductor.
This is exactly what I did. If you find an inside reference at CN rail you might not even have to pay for conductor school. I was hired straight out of highschool I worked for 8 months, saved enough money to finish a CPL then quit and never looked back. Only loan I took for flight training was to pay for a float endorsement, but if I could do it again I wouldn't get into debt. It is way too difficult to pay off a loan when working as a flight instructor :rolleyes:

get a good job, save what you need, avoid debt

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

bernk wrote:Nice to see I'm not the only one starting from scratch at 30… Though admitedly my goal isn't an airline carrier. I just want something to split my time at a computer with.
Likewise... but damn, I think i blew through my LOC too quickly :cry:

SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

Highflyinpilot wrote:P.S to pay for my training I went to a subsidized college and got a OSAP loan. Kinda regret it now though.
OSAP is dangerous, unless you can pay it off right away!

Alpha_Bravo_Charlie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpha_Bravo_Charlie »

Censo wrote:
Highflyinpilot wrote:P.S to pay for my training I went to a subsidized college and got a OSAP loan. Kinda regret it now though.
OSAP is dangerous, unless you can pay it off right away!
For a guy that is going to go to a subsidized college, what do you recommend other than OSAP?

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

I think that's the best approach. Try ot find a job or a business where you can get money and then invest it on your flight training.

efestian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by efestian »

Another here starting flight training in my thirties!

I personally believe that the government forcing FTU's to become career colleges is just a way to force more people into government backed student loans that can never be forgiven or discharged in bankruptcy. Plain and simple. That is what is so dangerous about, what I term, the "university economy".

Even though it is so expensive to get licenses, it weeds out the ones that TRULY want to fly. Soon, we will see an influx of people in flight training just because student loans are available. This will be no different than the tens of thousands of people in Universities taking Bachelor of Arts degrees without any concept of why or what the degree is for. I remember my parents, and my oldest brother for that matter, telling me how he WORKED to pay for college and graduated with very little debt.

So, where to get funds from? Not student loans imo.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

http://youtu.be/7Z_UpKMd3-w

Dave Ramsay on the topic of student loan debt.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Serious answer, OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET!!!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

If I had that kind of money in my pocket I don't think I'd become a commercial pilot. I'd probably buy more stupid crap like houses.

kasidet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kasidet »

Got mine from RBC, not for entire payment though. gl

ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ItsJustMurray »

Course Flight Times/Items Amount

Private Pilot Licence Texts, 45 Dual, 15 Solo, 1.4 FT, 3 Sim, 10 PGI, GS, Fees 16,050

Night Rating Text, 11.5 Dual, 5 Solo, 3 PGI, Fees 3,840

2 Day Mountain Course Text, 15.5 PIC, 3 PGI, RON Fees 4,485

2 Day High Density Course Charts, 15.5 PIC, 3 PGI, RON Fees 4,485

Multi-Engine Rating Text, 12 Dual, 1.0 FT, 3 PGI, Fees 6,400

Group 1 Instrument Rating Texts, Charts, 20 Dual, 1.2 FT,15 Sim,10 PGI, GS, Fees 13,575

PIC Time Building 22 PIC* (14 of which needs to be cross country) 3,750

Commercial Completion Texts, 10 Dual, 24 Solo, 1.7 FT, 5 PGI, GS, Fees 8,170

Total from Zero Flight Time Prices do not include GST 60,755

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

If I had that money I would be a pilot but flying my airplane: this is the dream of any pilot.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

Multi-Engine Rating Text, 12 Dual, 1.0 FT, 3 PGI, Fees 6,400

Group 1 Instrument Rating Texts, Charts, 20 Dual, 1.2 FT,15 Sim,10 PGI, GS, Fees 13,575
This is a rip off

Return to “Flight Training”