Serious answers where will I get funds from?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Serious answers where will I get funds from?

Post by Pop n Fresh »

If I had that kind of money in my pocket I don't think I'd become a commercial pilot. I'd probably buy more stupid crap like houses.
---------- ADS -----------

kasidet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kasidet »

Got mine from RBC, not for entire payment though. gl

ItsJustMurray
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ItsJustMurray »

Course Flight Times/Items Amount

Private Pilot Licence Texts, 45 Dual, 15 Solo, 1.4 FT, 3 Sim, 10 PGI, GS, Fees 16,050

Night Rating Text, 11.5 Dual, 5 Solo, 3 PGI, Fees 3,840

2 Day Mountain Course Text, 15.5 PIC, 3 PGI, RON Fees 4,485

2 Day High Density Course Charts, 15.5 PIC, 3 PGI, RON Fees 4,485

Multi-Engine Rating Text, 12 Dual, 1.0 FT, 3 PGI, Fees 6,400

Group 1 Instrument Rating Texts, Charts, 20 Dual, 1.2 FT,15 Sim,10 PGI, GS, Fees 13,575

PIC Time Building 22 PIC* (14 of which needs to be cross country) 3,750

Commercial Completion Texts, 10 Dual, 24 Solo, 1.7 FT, 5 PGI, GS, Fees 8,170

Total from Zero Flight Time Prices do not include GST 60,755

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

If I had that money I would be a pilot but flying my airplane: this is the dream of any pilot.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

Multi-Engine Rating Text, 12 Dual, 1.0 FT, 3 PGI, Fees 6,400

Group 1 Instrument Rating Texts, Charts, 20 Dual, 1.2 FT,15 Sim,10 PGI, GS, Fees 13,575
This is a rip off

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.
I started flight training March 2012 at 29 years old . I already had a student loan debt from university.
I took out a Student Line of Credit from BMO for $45000.
I got my CPL Oct 2013. I worked the oil patch from Oct till April 2014. First job in aviation May 2014.
I am now one paycheck away from paying off the line of credit.

You can make it work if you take out the line of credit. Would I recommend it? NO. At least not if you are in your early 20s. I took the line of credit because I figured I was better getting the license as soon as possible rather than working two years and starting at 31 or 32.
I also had the benefit of a few months between jobs back at my parents house and a couple months with the girlfriend paying rent.
I also got lucky/worked my ass off looking for a job that paid above average as entry level. It also provided crew accommodation. Personally I think I got the best entry level job a pilot could get. Not everyone is going to get that lucky. It would have been a lot tougher with the debt and a lower salary.

I wouldn't recommend taking the loan as a 20 something. I would work my ass off and save as much as possible. Then when I trained, I would still work as much as possible. There aren't a lot of jobs that are going to support your loan payments. It will be a lot more fun to have no debt in your first couple jobs and be able to eat well, go out for beers with the other pilots and enjoy life.

You'll really know you want to be a pilot if you are slogging your way through 60 hour work weeks saving for flight training.

Mircea7378
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mircea7378 »

For flight training you can go to one of the colleges Confederation/Sault College where they offer a CPL program and flying is covered so you would only pay for tuition like ground school, your courses and so on or, you can take OSAP for Harvair flight school, but you need to have your PPL as OSAP won't cover the ppl for harvair from what I've heard.

evtooms
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by evtooms »

A guy in his 30s who started training as well here.

For young people, you might really consider programming as well if your family does not have the money to loan you at zero rate. A few years after college you will earn about 80K a year with almost no unemployment which can also act as a safety net. For people who want to manage risk, that can be a good alternative. Having my own rent and everything i think i saved in two years enough to do PPL + CPL...

Of course you need to like programming otherwise you will feel miserable.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

No help from family, parents, or Bill Gates? Neither did I.

This was my path:
I worked in the oil field for 4 years to save up for my tuition. I only trained as far as the CPL with a Class 4 instructor rating before getting my first flying job. After teaching as an instructor for a few years, I rented one of my school's Seminoles at the staff rental rate, and got one of my buddies to train me for the Multi rating and the Group 1, for the cost of me photographing his wedding (guess the camera paid off!). My training up to the Class 4 was about 50k, the multi was 1.5k and Group 1 was 2.5k. If I did the Multi and Group 1 as a student, it would have been an extra 10k!

Just don't do what I did with my oilfield cash and buy dumb crap while in school, like a fancy computer, fancy camera, motorcycle, and a thousand night's out at the pub... or you'll want to open a line-of-credit with the bank to cover some of the tuition!

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I should also note: I see a lot of people saying, "just get a job on a drilling rig.. oilfield, etc." While that's the route I took as well, I would definitely say it's not for everyone, and an injury on a job site like that can permanently ground you from ever flying in your life. You seriously gotta weigh out the risks. It's not for everyone.

I witnessed a workplace accident where my co-worker, who was a helicopter pilot working off his debt, was killed while operating a man-lift that he was in control of. It had a profound effect on me, even years after it happened.

If you choose to work in the oilfield (or construction for that matter), choose your company wisely and don't be afraid to say "nope" No job is so important that it can't be done safely. In the words of my old foreman, "That d*mn oil has been in the ground for millions of years... it can wait one more day, so just slow down and think."

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

As mentioned above Seneca, Confederation and Sault, are substituted, which means flying it's covered you would only pay for tuition which covers the courses TC exams and so on, that's what i was told at Seneca open house some time ago, so i assume things haven't changed since.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

while you're right, there is also the factor of it'll take an extra 1-2 years + and cost of living being there. Where as if you had a flight school near home it could be cheaper in the long run.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Reading through this thread I see someone was given twelve hours dual to get a multi engine rating.

Twelve hours of dual?

That is absurd, unless of course it was in a big complex turbine.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
capmt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by capmt »

Get a job, live in pa’s basement

Tiberius
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tiberius »

I do advocate for the working / saving route, but there is one thing that many of you many not consider. If you're working for minimum wage, lets say your a waiter / waitress, by the time you save up all that money, you may find yourself reluctant to spend it on flight training as the ROI starts to become more of a glaring issue with your hard-earned dollars.

That's because this economy is harsh, housing is expensive, and you still have yet to be able to afford a comfortable living on your own, let alone find a way out of your parents' basement.

If I were a young person wanting to finance my training, here's what I would do:

Forget about aviation for now. Invest in something you can do in a relatively short period of time and that will increase your earned income substantially. In other words, learn a skilled trade, preferably something that will get you into heavy construction or maybe oil and gas. Carpentry, dry walling, plumbing, electrical, etc. Jobs like these not only pay well but have a lot of overtime. I worked on pipelines when I was young, the company put us up in motels for months on end, gave us a daily meal allowance ($30 a day) and we averaged 20 hours of overtime a week, all of which I banked. I ended my lease where I was living so no rent to pay.

And here's the thing, it wasn't uncommon to find other tradesmen who were also aspiring pilots. These types of jobs are not easy. Physically demanding and arduous they are. But for the same reason, there's not a lot of competition either. If you have the wherewithal to tough it out, I would highly recommend it. You'll learn perseverance and it builds character. Furthermore, you'll always have something to fall back on. Its a trade, not a career.

Meanwhile, the bank will see that you have a steady income stream and start offering you credit. Pay off your credit cards regularly (and on time) and your ratings will go up. I got a 25k line of credit from CIBC which I didn't even ask for.

They just gave it to me just because...

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

My first job was seasonal on a single engine piston. When I was laid off in the fall, I had EI pay for my Multi IFR while collecting benefits.

I know there will be a few here that call that a scab thing to do, but I was broke and wanted to be a pilot. That was 15 years ago and the I have been continuously employed and paying taxes ever since. As far as I'm concerned it was a great investment of government funds.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 pm My first job was seasonal on a single engine piston. When I was laid off in the fall, I had EI pay for my Multi IFR while collecting benefits.

I know there will be a few here that call that a scab thing to do, but I was broke and wanted to be a pilot. That was 15 years ago and the I have been continuously employed and paying taxes ever since. As far as I'm concerned it was a great investment of government funds.
I won't call it a scab thing but I will say you were awfully lucky. Losing jobs (in the past anyway) was commonplace, right up to big jet pilots, and big jet pilots such as myself could in no way get EI support for any sort of training, which range from trucking to getting another type rating to qualify overseas, or even a simple IFR renewal. Once again, good for you, you don't know how lucky you were to have this paid.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
DriedPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DriedPilot »

L1011 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:31 pm
AUGER9 wrote:Outside Canada I'm not sure, but outside Ontario was not an issue.
Unfortunately, it is now. Out of province you have to pay the full price, however much that is.

I know people who have had school paid for, and others who have had ratings paid for through EI...
For real? Do you have any more information/sources about this? I recently applied to Sault from Alberta and got accepted.

cm6966
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cm6966 »

Funding is always a question. Some people go the oil route which seems the quickest. But any hindsight of how to get started?

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

cm6966 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 pm Funding is always a question. Some people go the oil route which seems the quickest. But any hindsight of how to get started?
For working in the oilfield?

If you want to PM me with more specific details on where you are hoping to live, what sort of work you want to do, etc.. I can help point you in the right direction. Not all the best jobs are around Ft. Mac either! I've worked on and off in the oilfield in an 8 year period between funding my aviation training. In total, I probably did a solid 4-5 years, doing jobs such as pipe-lining, crane rigging, steam truck operating, welder's helper and assisting with facility construction, pipe-fitting and well-head testing.

The newspaper classifieds are still one of the better ways to see who's hiring, unless you have an inside reference. Best way to get started is to decide what type of oil-field work you want to do, call several companies and ask what training requirements they require for their employees (Ex, H2S, First Aid, WHMIS, TDG.. etc) and get the courses completed first, then apply. The courses aren't too expensive and you'll make the money back in no time at all. Most towns have a safety company you can contact to get signed-up for all the courses you need. Each course usually takes a day and most are around $100-$150 (or so I recall... It's been 6 years since I've taken one, haha)

Straight out of high-school, I was terrified to work as a pipe-liner, but I quickly realized the job had very little stress, was an excellent workout, you were always outdoors and as long as you paid attention to your surroundings, didn't show up hung-over or late, and didn't watch people work, but jumped-in to help them, you can get very far. At 19, I turned down a job offer to be trained as a heavy crane operator because I wanted to fly instead. :P

I will end this small essay by saying this: NO JOB is so important that it cannot be done safely. The oilfield is dangerous, but you'll be ok if you learn to say no and work hard without rushing.

Return to “Flight Training”