Seneca or Waterloo?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

anson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seneca or Waterloo?

Post by anson »

Recently, I got an offer from Waterloo for Geography and Aviation and I have also accepted by Seneca's flight program. I have to decide which school I should attend before the May 28 university cut off.

My initial plan was to attend Seneca since I have heard many great things about it. However, after the surprising Waterloo offer arrived, I have a tough decision on Applied Technology Degree(Seneca) vs. Environmental Studies Degree(Waterloo)

I am passionate on becoming a pilot and have great interest in geographic studies, Waterloo's program seems to be a perfect combination for me, but I can barely find any info on Waterloo Aviation. I have done plenty of research on this forum but Waterloo was rarely discussed. Plus the degree is Environmental Studies, it seems quite useless and low demanding.

There are up sides to Waterloo. The school name itself is well known world wide. I wouldn't restrict my future career in Canada and possibly go back to my home country China. In addition, geography academic side of the program would be great for becoming weather analysis or cartography, a back-up if I failed to achieve jobs in aviation industry.

Well, being a pilot is still my main focus and I am unsure if Waterloo would prepare me well as Seneca for flying and airline job enrolling. I believe Seneca helps student on find jobs after graduate since numerous students were offered potential First Officer positions from Air Canada.

Waterloo
- Famous school name, bachelor degree, geographic field as backup, may have advantage to work word wide
- Not so popular in aviation training
Seneca
- Great aviation fleet and beneficial for airline jobs in Canada
- Not so good applied degree, nothing for backup

Which should I choose?
---------- ADS -----------

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Seneca or Waterloo?

Post by mcrit »

Waterloo. The Bombshelter is a way better bar than anything Seneca has to offer.

Rank 4

Post by slam525i »

I'd go with Waterloo. You can get your flight training anywhere, and most people won't care where you got it from after your first job anyway.

Plus, let's be honest, the market is flooded with pilots willing to fly for peanuts. You need a backup plan.

Caveat: I'm not a professional pilot. Never wanted to be. Never going to be.

magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

its all the same if you want to fly a plane get your pilot liscence, and if you get lucky enough and present yourself properly and demonstrate that you will not crash the plane then mabe you will get a piolt job :D

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

It will be more expensive to flight train and pay for a Waterloo education. YOu will save $ at Seneca.

Why don't you accept Waterloo, and put in an application for the cadet program at Cathay Pacific, if you're a Chinese National?

anson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anson »

Thanks for the replies.

I have been living in Toronto for the past 8 years. China might be an option for me to find jobs but I would still prefer to stay in Canada.

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Cathay has bases all over the world including Toronto and Vancouver (though they are senior bases I believe). Good luck.

dt1019
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dt1019 »

I'm in the Waterloo program now. Did you go to the open house in March?

Last edited by dt1019 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Get an engineering degree at waterloo while you do your licences. I knew a guy who did engineering coop and did his coop placement flying. At the end of his degree he had about 2000hrs, a BEng and he was only about 23 or so.

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coast-dog »

Check out Selkirk College.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
jkw113
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jkw113 »

what are you doing now I wonder?

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

Bede wrote: Wed May 19, 2010 4:58 pm Get an engineering degree at waterloo while you do your licences. I knew a guy who did engineering coop and did his coop placement flying. At the end of his degree he had about 2000hrs, a BEng and he was only about 23 or so.
Having done engineering at another well known school in Canada, also did flight training on the side while studying engineering, the scenario you described is almost impossible.

OP might be able to finish all his license before graduating, but finding a job let alone get to 2000 hours is a bit of a stretch.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

That Waterloo degree is still pretty useless outside of aviation believe it or not, schools like to sell those kind of misinformation.
If I were you I’d get a useful degree at Waterloo like Bede suggested, and try to finish as much flight training as you can on the side
Also, Cathay doesn’t have YVR/YYZ base anymore since COVID

Return to “Flight Training”