Freelance Instruction

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Freelance Instruction

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Chaffey wrote:Thanks for the reply Big Pistons Forever. As we have seen before on this site, people should be looking up cars. But if you look on the original post, I already had a sense of where I wanted this post to go. Asking for guidance and clarification is not a wrong. I dont think its lazy either.

Second - I cant say that I know EVERYTHING about aviation. Sometimes I cant even say that I know where to look everything up if I dont know the answer. I turn to HEDLEY for that! hehehe
You want me to take you seriously ? Then how about posting "OK here is a paste of all the CAR's I think are relavent, have I missed anything ?"

Instead you chose on your original post, to say the following "What does TC require so this training can be completed without any complications?". To me that basically says " I am just going to get one of the regular Avcanada posters to look up and post the applicable CAR's for me, because I basically don't respect them enough to care about them using their time to do something which I am too lazy to do myself "
---------- ADS -----------

AtlanticTour
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AtlanticTour »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Chaffey wrote:Thanks for the help. Someone told me that I might need to get a hold of TC and let them know things like.... Type of A/C, Reg, time period and what type of training was being done prior to starting. Has anyone ever heard of this?
The reporting requirements for freelance instructors is explicitly covered in Part 4 of the CAR's
The CARs explain it. Read that section to know what you can do.

I know one guy who is a freelancer and is making some good bucks doing it. The right people will pay for quality instructors.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

people will pay for quality instructors
Indeed. Don't try to compete with the "Wal-mart" ab initio instruction - that's a "race to the bottom" commodity service.

Instead, develop a specialty - like tailwheel instruction, or float instruction, or aerobatic instruction or IFR instruction.

Your target market should NOT be some 18 yr old kid who wants to be an airline pilot. I might suggest a better customer is a successful businessman/professional of some sort who owns something like a Bonanza or Mooney and is looking for competent IFR instruction on a retractable.

Wal-mart instruction will earn you maybe $20/hr. Specialized instruction should earn you $50/hr to $100/hr.

FlightSolutions
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlightSolutions »

Hedley wrote:
people will pay for quality instructors
Indeed. Don't try to compete with the "Wal-mart" ab initio instruction - that's a "race to the bottom" commodity service.

Instead, develop a specialty - like tailwheel instruction, or float instruction, or aerobatic instruction or IFR instruction.

Your target market should NOT be some 18 yr old kid who wants to be an airline pilot. I might suggest a better customer is a successful businessman/professional of some sort who owns something like a Bonanza or Mooney and is looking for competent IFR instruction on a retractable.

Wal-mart instruction will earn you maybe $20/hr. Specialized instruction should earn you $50/hr to $100/hr.
You're giving away all the secrets.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Heh - after checking out your website, I can see why you would say that :wink:

Return to “Flight Training”