To full flaps or not to full flaps!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: To full flaps or not to full flaps!

Post by Beefitarian »

Cat Driver wrote:
That poser . is probably running about 45% and would land full flaps just because you and the book said to.
If it is me you are referring to I take that comment as an insult to my record as a pilot.

Maybe it was because I knew how to make decisions such as how much flap to use and when that was part of an over fifty year career that was accident free?
Nope, you're not famous for that phrase yet. Some other guy.

Further I would have been willing to guess you would choose flap setting depending on the plane and conditions you encountered.
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Giveitago wrote:Ummmm......I'm gonna guess he was going for the humor part with the comment and was refering to . Yeager...
I would never insult General Yeager.

I probably like him (though on a much smaller scale) in the same way Hedley likes Bob Hoover. (hope I got all the "Os" in there that time.)

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

fish4life wrote:The same 150 I was talking about earlier that will almost have you strike the tail if you don't use flaps was one of the early ones equipped with 40 flap... That setting is for the most part too much flap for day to day flying, if I remember correctly it was about 2100rpm to maintain 500fpm decent and 65-70kts
I loved training in the 150, you could drag its ass in full flap, full power to the edge of the runway, pull to idle and slam on the brakes. Lucky if you used up 50' of runway. :smt040

Sorry back to the Nava

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Hedley likes Bob Hoover
I can't say I "like" or "dislike" Bob Hoover, although I've talked to him a couple times at Oshkosh and he was certainly a likeable fellow in person.

But regardless of his personality, Bob Hoover is a stick & rudder god. It was always a pleasure to watch him fly. It's wonderful to watch an accomplished, life-long master practice his craft. You know you're seeing something special.

Tryg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tryg »

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Huh, you sure bring him up in conversation a lot. It seemed to me you liked him. You know as in admired his abilities and or achievements. That's the way I like the guy I was posting about. I never met him either. Now that I made a mistake and got married I'll probably never even make it to one of those lectures he does. Presuming he still does those.

I read he used to hang out with . (not the one here or the tigerblood guy) I bet they were both pretty good with an airplane.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

you sure bring him up in conversation a lot
Yes, but not because of me, rather because of him.

For example, someone will make a blanket statement such as:

1) "You should never feather an engine of a twin", or
2) "You can't do aerobatics in a transport category airplane", or
3) "You can't deadstick a jet"

The list goes on, and on, of stuff that the white shirt and gold bars types will say are impossible. And perhaps it is, for them. Problem is, Bob did them every day.

And the contrast between the straight-and-level "white shirt" crowd and Bob is glaring, for those of us that remember him.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

So you think it's a good idea to rag on them and tell them it is "possible" so some of them get hurt?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Pardon me maybe I should have said, "more" of them get hurt.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Well, future winners of these awards have to come from somewhere, I guess:

www.darwinawards.com

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re:

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Beefitarian wrote:So you think it's a good idea to rag on them and tell them it is "possible" so some of them get hurt?
Remember that Hedley has the luxury of being able to play with what he can do. Most of the rest of us are in a more restricted position of having to tell people whether they should. The latest P&P magazine had a good "ask the experts" article (answered by Patty) about the difference between the two. Truth be told, rarely is there made a blanket statement on this forum where someone says "impossible" or "can't" and more often is discussed "should" or "why", though many often take a opinon of the latter as a statement of the former, most of the time just to argue.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!

Return to “Flight Training”