Cat Driver's Poll

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Should the 5 hours of instrument time requirement for the ppl be scrapped?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:25 pm

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 25

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Cat Driver's Poll

Post by ahramin »

This is in re to Cat Driver's If I Were in Charge thread.
---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Cat Driver's Poll

Post by '97 Tercel »

no

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

'97 Tercel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:33 pmno
Lol!
Why not mentioning you are digging up an old topic (2004)
Actually.....Just...Why !!? :lol:

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

TG wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm
'97 Tercel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:33 pmno
Lol!
Why not mentioning you are digging up an old topic (2004)
Actually.....Just...Why !!? :lol:
He’s totally edgy and random!

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

That hurt my feelings.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I refrain. The poll is missing a vital option - "Should the requirement be altered?"

I may have a unique perspective - I'm currently doing those 5 hours of instrument training. I don't think they're useless, and I do think there should be some hood training - but not 5 hours of it. That's 10% of your required training, spent doing something you're not allowed to even practice, never mind undertaking it.

It should be reduced - but not eliminated. Maybe allow all 5 hours to be done in a simulator. I've got about 2.5 hours in currently, and I do see some value in it. I'm glad though, that I don't need to spend the time and money on 5 hours in a physical airplane to meet this requirement.

To be fair, as a VMC trained student pilot who has only ever flown in VFR conditions, and whose initial training placed in him the Fear Of God around clouds , I am deathly afraid of clouds. That may have some impact on my opinion.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 pm
To be fair, as a VMC trained student pilot who has only ever flown in VFR conditions, and whose initial training placed in him the Fear Of God around clouds , I am deathly afraid of clouds. That may have some impact on my opinion.
Yup. That's a good thing.

Once you do your first night flight anywhere near Algonquin -- night rating is cool BTW -- in totally VMC conditions on a hazy summer night -- you'll be more thankful for that 5 hours.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:59 pm
Once you do your first night flight anywhere near Algonquin -- night rating is cool BTW -- in totally VMC conditions on a hazy summer night -- you'll be more thankful for that 5 hours.
Technically speaking if you're flying at night you should have 10 instrument hours.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
ca353584
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ca353584 »

5 Hrs is just right when you consider the objectives of the training.

The two objectives of the instrument training in the PPL are: 1) Impress upon the student the difficulties/danger of flying IMC without proper training, and 2) Give the student a fighting chance to escape entry into inadvertent IMC by teaching them to carry out a level 180 degree turn and fly straight and level in IMC (i.e. simulate that they enter a cloud, recognize it, then turn around)

Always make these objectives very clear to the student; make it clear that you are not teaching them how deliberately go and fly in IMC, but rather how to get out of trouble. Stress to the student the likelihood of death should they push their luck with bad weather.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

What one has to remember are why these hours came about in the first place.

The continual tendency for VFR pilots to inadvertently enter IMC.

And it’s not as simple as just entering vs avoiding a towering cumulus a layer of stratus.

Those are easily avoided because they have strong demarcation lines from VMC conditions, and even if you enter them you will probably safely exit them quickly unless you are in mountainous terrain or close to the ground.

No. It’s the subtle change from VMC to IMC that gets most pilots. The gradual deterioration of flight visibility due to haze, precipitation, or nightfall. Pressing on because you think you can see through to the other side. Illusions and loss of situational awareness.

Those 5 instrument hours aren’t going to make you proficient, but hopefully at least make you aware of the deadly effects of inadvertent flight into IMC, capable of executing a 180 to exit it, and recognizing and recovering from an unusual attitude.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

cat driver is retired , he just needs some controversy , the debate positive or negative is just good for the soul. keeps one engaged . cat the detractors need not worry. father time will catch up to them lol . good to see yur still kickn

Return to “Flight Training”