Seneca vs Western vs waterloo aviation programs?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Flightman7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Seneca vs Western vs waterloo aviation programs?

Post by Flightman7 »

Hey guys, looking for some opinions on the three schools in the title, I was keen on Waterloo, due to the backup plan it provides you with and because I love science, but the courses are very unappealing. I was looking at the careers you can get into besides aviation as backup and they are also very unappealing. I want to go to university, and Seneca is more of a college environment even though its a degree. Western is business, and doesnt provide possible careers, I guess its assumed any buissines related to aviation is whats its for but I dont like business. Any one want to comment? Is there any other schools worth looking at?
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Seneca vs Western vs waterloo aviation programs?

Post by Colonel Sanders »

other schools worth looking at?
Any school that gives you your flight training for free :wink:

Flightman7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightman7 »

Ahhhh, My dream was to join the military, but im colour blind safe, can pass the d-15 test for class 1 but can not pass standard plates for RCAF , god damn eyes.

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

University degrees don't really work that way; there's not really a 'list' of prospective jobs tied to the kinds of degrees you get in these programs. There are some fields that open up with each of them, but it's not as targeted/specialized as technical degrees or some college diplomas.

Visit the schools, talk to the staff/students, crunch the numbers. Look at the various colleges too. If you want to get a degree in a specific field out of interest or career reasons, consider getting your aviation qualifications on your own time while in school, or after finishing it.

I work for one of the programs above, and the *last* thing you should do is pick one of them based on the list they publish (or lack thereof) of non-aviation jobs you can get. It's a great idea to have a backup plan, but it should be something you want to do, not something you saw on a list on some university's website and thought "there it is!"

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Choose the college that gives you the most flight hours
for the least cost in the shortest length of time.

Seriously.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

So you want a degree, but at the same time, you find all the degrees you've looked at unappealing?

If I were you, I would follow CS's suggestion. Find a school that offers all your licenses within the shortest amount of time and for the least amount of money. I would argue that right now, that would be Confederation. If you really want a degree to wave around at people and show them how smart you are, or so someone in AC's HR department can drool over, do it online and don't waste your time.

If you find something you're truly interesting in - economics, history, accounting, chemistry, engineering, biomedicine, naval architecture, etc - then go to a brick and mortar school and do it while training at a FTU. It just seems to me that you aren't really interested in any degree programs, you are just simply interested in getting a degree for the sake of having one. Doing something as difficult, time consuming, and costly as a degree for that reason alone seems like a pretty poor choice.

As for Seneca vs Western vs Waterloo, each have their benefits and down sides. From the sound of it, neither Western or Waterloo offer degrees you're interested in. Seneca offers just aviation, but there is an argument to be made whether getting a four year degree from a college would benefit you any more than a two year degree from a college. Also, as you mentioned, it is a college degree, not a university degree. I know graduate schools won't accept someone out of Seneca. Something to keep in mind.

Also, Western, Waterloo, or any other degree/aviation program out there will cost a ton of coin. If you were in any other field, spending that kind of money would give you the title "doctor."

Flightman7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightman7 »

I wanted to go to university because of the experience and what it does for you as a person, but I might have to sacrifice that experience, based on what you guys are saying.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Free advice: don't go to University to learn how to weld, or operate
a bulldozer, or crane, or airplane. No self-respecting University would
give you a degree in such vocational training.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a degree, but if you chose to, get a
good one, and don't be afraid if it's orthogonal to your flying.

PS I ain't anti-University. Queen's Engineering, 1986. If you're in
Kingston, Ont you can drop by Jeffery Hall and see my smiling face
hanging on the wall. And I hold ATP's on both sides of the border.

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

Flightman7 wrote:I wanted to go to university because of the experience and what it does for you as a person
The question you should ask yourself is if this sole reason alone is worth $40k-$80k.
Colonel Sanders wrote:Free advice: don't go to University to learn how to weld, or operate
a bulldozer, or crane, or airplane. No self-respecting University would
give you a degree in such vocational training.
I would compare flying to captaining a ship or operating a nuclear power plant. These are all jobs where the worker operates "complex machinery." Personally, I wouldn't consider a bulldozer overly complex. I agree with your point though. University is a place for academics. Operating complex machinery isn't an academic exercise.

AUGER9
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AUGER9 »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
Any school that gives you your flight training for free :wink:
What he said.

Flightman7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightman7 »

Believe me, I want to head straight in to aviation at age 21 and never look back, but with the way things are looking, my gut says otherwise.

Wateroo,western and seneca are out of the question at this point.

Plan 1: graduate highschool with PPl, take a year off to complete cpl, then attend university while attending ramp or dock during summer months in hopes of getting some flying in.

Plan 2: Go to confed or sault, and get my ass out there asap with no regrets and no turning back.

tough one.

Magnetron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Magnetron »

Hey Flightman

I agree with some of the advice on here; my case I didn't have much option financially.

I know you said all those schools are out of the question, and you're situation may be completely different but I have graduated from one of these programs, now 22. And in to the big pool of guys looking for first gigs. I know timing is pretty important but we're young we got lots of time...relatively :)

If you want any info on one of these programs, PM me.

ETOPS-330
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ETOPS-330 »

Magnetron wrote:Hey Flightman

I agree with some of the advice on here; my case I didn't have much option financially.

I know you said all those schools are out of the question, and you're situation may be completely different but I have graduated from one of these programs, now 22. And in to the big pool of guys looking for first gigs. I know timing is pretty important but we're young we got lots of time...relatively :)

Hello Magnetron,
I have been in the same situation on deciding which programs and I think I need some advice from graduates. I tried to PM you, but for some reasons the website does not allow me to do so. Is it possible for me to have your email address please?
Thanks for your help.
Owen

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

Well, going to University and doing aviation is definitely do-able.

My only warning is progressing on your CPL while going to university, especially in an intense academic program, is going to require a lot of self discipline and can be extremely financially stressing on you and your loved ones.. A degree cost me $24,000 in tuition and textbooks at SFU, not including living expenses, but there are waaay more grants and scholarship available.

Having a degree career wise, I'd say your mileage may vary. But aviation being a field that really is actually a sum of different fields, engineering, physiology, psychology, climate/meteorology, materials sciences, history, increasingly computer sciences, etc... I think that you will find it broadens your in depth knowledge and help you think objectively. On the other hand, you don't really need to go to university so long as you keep an open mind and read non-junk books you can get the same out of it.

In the end, you should go down this route, only as BTyyj sais. Is X amount worth it to you for Y program? Keep in mind a lot of people graduated from a 2 year college program are very successful as well.

Depending on it I would suggest getting your PPL in 2nd or 3rd year summer, time build in between, and finish your CPL 4th year summer, or whenever you graduate and IFR whenever you graduate.

If you can handle the financial strain, PPL 1/2nd year summer, CPL 3rd year & float rating, work as a dockhand 4th year summer.

In any-case don't get your IFR until you grad.

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DSoup »

ETOPS-330 wrote:
Magnetron wrote:Hey Flightman

Hello Magnetron,
I have been in the same situation on deciding which programs and I think I need some advice from graduates. I tried to PM you, but for some reasons the website does not allow me to do so. Is it possible for me to have your email address please?
Thanks for your help.
Owen
Maybe because that was a 4 year old post?

Return to “Flight Training”