Questions about renewing my rating, been a very long time!!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Trematode
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Questions about renewing my rating, been a very long tim

Post by Trematode »

Trematode, thanks....but....

.......I sometimes get tired of working in my garage on my Cub project and this is my relaxing hobby...

......at the moment I am rearranging all my tools as I bought a new tool box yesterday to better sort out all the tools I have collected over the decades.

I am sorting it all out and when I find I have three of any tool I am putting them in a box and I am giving them away.
Yeah, i think we're all here because we enjoy relaxing at the end of the day, and seeing what our fellow pilots have to say about certain things.

I for one enjoy your contribution, and find that you usually always spur on interesting conversation with your great questions (usually questions born from your personal experiences).
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

What astonishes me about people (especially here) is
that according to them, the following is carved in stone:

YOU MUST LIKE SOMEONE TO LEARN FROM THEM

And "everyone knows" that the more you like them, the
more you will learn from them. And, "everyone knows"
that the less you like someone, the less you will learn from
them.

This is because someone's IQ is directly proportional to
how much you like them.

**** END OF NEW AGE NONSENSE ****

The above is complete poppycock but is apparently woven
into everyone's DNA or something. It cannot be contested.

Uh huh. I have worked with some very nasty, unpleasant
people that would happily whore out their mothers if it would
help them one teeny tiny iota.

However, just because they are not nice people, and you
don't like them, doesn't make them stupid. Some of them
are going to be an awful lot smarter than you.

I have learned some very valuable (and painful) lessons from
some very unpleasant people. I would be pretty stupid if I did
not.

You don't have to like someone, to learn an awful lot from
them. Time to leave the Fisher-Price playpen behind. Remember,
there's no crying in the cockpit.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I must be dumber than an orange because I just cant make the connection between most of these posts and the question originally asked..

So, to the OP.. I hope you will seek out the answers from a bit more reliable sources than it seems we have here (even if you dont like them :smt040 ) Please PM me your progress as I have an interest in following the same path when I retire.

Merry Xmas

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

What astonishes me about people (especially here) is
that according to them, the following is carved in stone:

YOU MUST LIKE SOMEONE TO LEARN FROM THEM
That's not actually the whole truth. To learn from someone you have to respect them. Its a subtle difference but bear with me. It is hard for most people to learn from someone whom they don't respect. Why? Because somewhere at the back of their mind they're constantly wondering if said person is screwing with them on some level. Remember the cardinal rule of instructing is no Bullshitting. If someone doesn't think they can trust you to give them the straight shit, it forever colors everything else they might learn from you. At some point, the signal to noise ratio becomes unusable.

This being the internet it suffers heavily from it. Its all second hand information, its heresay. Few of us can actually observe how each might actually perform, so we have to judge by what one types. Is it logical and reasonable? How much bullshit does it contain?

I've run into a lot of people in this endeavor and I'll say that some have some interesting things to learn from, but its really friggin hard to tell how much of it is genuine without directly seeing hands on the stick so to speak.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

To learn from someone you have to respect them
Not sure I totally agree with that. Some of the most valuable
lessons, I learned from people whom I would not leave alone
with my dog or cat. Serious moral and ethical deficiencies.
But that doesn't mean they're stupid - far from it.

And, they have no interest whatsoever in educating you. In fact,
that's the farthest thing from their mind. Their only sociopathic
use for you is, "What can they do for me, at any cost to them?"

However, despite their complete lack of interest in imparting
their knowledge and skill, it can happen. If you pay attention,
and watch what they do, and how they operate. Think of a
monkey trapped in a cage, watching his handler spin a combination
lock on the hasp. There is no teaching going on there whatsoever,
but despite that, there can be plenty of education.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

However, despite their complete lack of interest in imparting
their knowledge and skill, it can happen. If you pay attention,
and watch what they do, and how they operate.
Well I guess in this case we're just quibbling over semantics, in that I would view this as a different type of learning, passive rather than active. You learn lots about them rather than from them if you catch my drift. For example, I passively learn lots about my cat every day from observation, but she's never actively engaged in teaching me anything.

Most things learned from avcanada, for instance, are largely due to passive observation rather than active constructive transmitting recieving, though lots of those providing fodder for the former like to think they're doing the latter. I will admit to being guilty of that as anyone else, human beings far prefer to transmit than recieve. Part of the appeal of the forum though is the idea that we may sometimes engage in active learning here, though it is rare. It is very engaging when one reads something here that does make one reconsider their own position or thoughts on a subject, or at the very least revise them however so slightly. Even more, I like the idea that I might be able to sway someone else's line of thought with my own reasoned arguements in the spirit of lively debate. One of the more depressing thoughts about this forum is the possibility that no one here is possibly swayed or even many time reasoned with, they are all static characters.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

It is very engaging when one reads something here that does make one reconsider their own position or thoughts on a subject, or at the very least revise them however so slightly
"engaging"?! Well, I guess that's one word for it.

I used to think I understood the power curve. The
Vx/Vy thread convinced me that I know absolutely
nothing about it, and that everything I thought I
knew about it is incorrect. I now dread the idea of
teaching Range & Endurance because I am completely
ignorant on the topic! :wink:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Most things learned from avcanada, for instance
Many of the things I learn "from" Avcanada I learn through my own research in other places in order to answer other people's questions, or to quibble with answers someone else has already given. Then the act of trying to write about what I just learned is the sine qua non of real learning, because It's not until you try to explain something to someone that you realize what you know and what you don't know.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
"engaging"?! Well, I guess that's one word for it.

I used to think I understood the power curve....
I wasn't really referring to those types of discussions unless one entered into it at a very basic level of knowledge about said subject. Discussions of Newtonian physics aren't going to have a different outcome and aren't going to change. Discussions on how people think about things (my favorite of course being flight training) is a different matter, especially when there are a lot of theories about the various aspects of it and it has evolved over a short time. There's room for debate.

AA150730
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AA150730 »

To those of you who answered my orginal question and offered your advice, thank you very much for your insight.
May I also add I am very surprised that such a simple request for advice would produce such long and sometimes "spirited" discussion!!!
Merry Christmas to every one!!!

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

I am very surprised that such a simple request for advice would produce such a ...
Welcome to AvCan, where grown men will fight over a
fresh turd in the noonday sun :wink:

Don't take much of what you read here seriously. It's
like panning for gold: 99.999% can be safely discarded,
like this stuff:

www.pittspecials.com/articles.html

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

I posed the same question a few years ago. Some useful views on the subject from Hedley.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30388&hilit=Instructor

esp803

Post by esp803 »

AA150730, I'm curious as to how you have made out so far?

I'm not nearly as experienced as most of the posters on this particular thread, but have recently accepted a seasonal position and would like to also renew my instructor rating to teach over the winters. I love instructing and after a couple thousand hours of bush flying I think I now have something to offer student pilots (despite the fact that I learn new things almost every day still...)

the goal: escape the frozen north over the winters to warmer climates to the south and east (lower mainland most likely) and continue following my other passion which is teaching.

E

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

I had a five year lapse in my Instructor Rating and just renewed it recently. It was really no trouble. I had to rewrite the AIRAT, (letter of recommend from a class one required). In prep for that I just got a book of practice exams and went through them. I did a few flights in a 172 to get my prof back up, then a few PGIs and my class one sent me off for a flight test. I was renewed to the same class of rating I held five years ago.

As for the OP's situation, the CARs do not specify that one has to redo the entire course, no matter how long the rating has been lapsed for. My suggestion would be to talk directly to a class one,( seemings how they are the one who will be recommending you to the tests), and see what they say. If they are worth their salt they won't give you an estimate until they've seen you do a PGI and a flight.

tractor747
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor747 »

I did my class 4 renewal last year, went in person paid my $30 renewal fee and still waiting for my sticker. I guess my instructor rating is not valid anymore, great.

Return to “Flight Training”