ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by ragequit »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ragequit on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Hey guys, I'm in Vancouver going to submit mine. Anyone have experience dealing with TC on the west coast?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Yes use yyj office

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

BE10_Driver wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 pm Hi guys,

Just as a heads up, I applied for my ATPL at the YUL office back in December, and I just received an email concerning my hours as co-pilot on King Air A100. They want a letter from the company confirming that their SOP's require a co-pilot for the operation since its a ''Single pilot plane''. I don't know if this is standard practice.

I worked at a commercial 703 operator, not a private operator.
I had a PPC as co-pilot on the aircraft, which I thought they would have access and would be sufficient proof...

I also have been waiting for more than 3 months for the sticker, so I would avoid Dorval office for ATPL applications if you can.
Applied at about 1700 hours with 400h co-pilot BE10

Cheers
In my former life as a CP, I printed off there FDT, a copy of our SOPs relevant page, and AOC. I then magic markered at random there flights, and audited given days. Made stickers with something like " the log times for xxx have been randomly audited for accuracy, and I hereby confirm that xxx has flown the following aircraft aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd etc... in accordance with company yyy's sop's and COM. R.Pig CP BF Nowhere airlines. Gave to all pilots on end of employment with their ROE

ALI.A330
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ALI.A330 »

Hi EVERY ONE
Actually i want to convert my ICAO ATPL to the Canadian ATPL, just for more clarification could you please confirm the following steps for that:
1.Medical Check
2.Pass SARON,SAMRA and INRAT exam
3.Test Flight (on SIMULATOR or ACTUAL FLIGHT)
my flight experience is as in followed,is it enough or not?
5649 Hours Total Flight Time
360 Hours Single-engine airplane
5289 Hours Multi-Jet engine airplane (On F100,A320,A330)
267 Hours PIC (Single Engine)
264 Hours PICUS - ON A330

My another question is about second stage ,when i passed the exams how can i coordinate to test flight in the simulator?
I really appreciated to help me because the Transport Canada web site confused me about the steps.
Thanks

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

ALI.A330 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:16 pm Hi EVERY ONE
Actually i want to convert my ICAO ATPL to the Canadian ATPL, just for more clarification could you please confirm the following steps for that:
1.Medical Check
2.Pass SARON,SAMRA and INRAT exam
3.Test Flight (on SIMULATOR or ACTUAL FLIGHT)
my flight experience is as in followed,is it enough or not?
5649 Hours Total Flight Time
360 Hours Single-engine airplane
5289 Hours Multi-Jet engine airplane (On F100,A320,A330)
267 Hours PIC (Single Engine)
264 Hours PICUS - ON A330

My another question is about second stage ,when i passed the exams how can i coordinate to test flight in the simulator?
I really appreciated to help me because the Transport Canada web site confused me about the steps.
Thanks
Find a flight school that can do it. Cornwall has some sims

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Wrote December 5 SARON,#6, no surprise. If you prepared using Aerocours , Pilot Training ca or Kulhame that is pretty good enough to complete the exam. Another story was yesterday ,I was trying to write SAMRA 16. And fail with mark 62%. A was preparing as much accurate ,as i can, spent 3 month to study. What happen.? I did very interesting note,50% of questions SARON 16,I didn’t see any where in materials ,or questions were put in so difficulty way,so only professor - meteorologists may
have correct answers. That was only my sensation,maybe someone have different?

Last edited by Olegmagellan on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reecered
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Reecered »

I was the same for the SAMRA - very difficult. Meteorology was never my strong point, but I don't know how I got multiple METAR questions wrong. 2 questions were removed from the exam (which I guess made it slightly harder). Failed by 0.8%.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Looks like the questions were revised to the harder side. I don’t know, how often they change the questions ,but now isn’t good time write SAMRA. Your failure 0,8% really offensive.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Samra 16 has a very high rate of failure... Brace for impact if you see that on your screen!!!

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

It’s true.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

For the pic cross country requirement, I meet the 100 PIC but an short for the additional 100 but have loads of copilot, been flying a dash-8 for 4 years. However my logbook doesn't have a column to log copilot cross country, only PIC or dual. Should I make a new column for this and go back and add everything up or will they be able to tell that I meet this requirement by looking at my logbook? It'd probably be 2 or 3 pages to have 100 hours.

Also I wrote my INRAT over 7 years ago, how am I supposed to know the date I wrote it for the application?

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

goleafsgo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 am For the pic cross country requirement, I meet the 100 PIC but an short for the additional 100 but have loads of copilot, been flying a dash-8 for 4 years. However my logbook doesn't have a column to log copilot cross country, only PIC or dual. Should I make a new column for this and go back and add everything up or will they be able to tell that I meet this requirement by looking at my logbook? It'd probably be 2 or 3 pages to have 100 hours.

Also I wrote my INRAT over 7 years ago, how am I supposed to know the date I wrote it for the application?
They should have a record of your INRAT on file if youve lost your results page or forget

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

goleafsgo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:44 am For the pic cross country requirement, I meet the 100 PIC but an short for the additional 100 but have loads of copilot, been flying a dash-8 for 4 years. However my logbook doesn't have a column to log copilot cross country, only PIC or dual. Should I make a new column for this and go back and add everything up or will they be able to tell that I meet this requirement by looking at my logbook? It'd probably be 2 or 3 pages to have 100 hours.

The more clear and concise data you can submit, the smoother the application process will go. That is my advice.

As for dates, register/log in to your file here:

https://gart.tc.gc.ca/GetAccess/Saml/SS ... lang%3Deng

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

Hi gentlemen, today pass SAMRA 15 it’s was much easier than 16 ,I wrote before. No surprise,50% Gen Meteo Questions, 6 on
GFA ,calculate SAR ,CP, air mass presentation, frontal weather,VOLMET,SIGMET,AIRMET,Upper Level Chart ,TS determination MSL
Is anyone know ,A-320 Sim in Montreal exist?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Olegmagellan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am Hi gentlemen, today pass SAMRA 15 it’s was much easier than 16 ,I wrote before. No surprise,50% Gen Meteo Questions, 6 on
GFA ,calculate SAR ,CP, air mass presentation, frontal weather,VOLMET,SIGMET,AIRMET,Upper Level Chart ,TS determination MSL
What do you need a 320 sim for?

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:20 pm
Olegmagellan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:31 am Hi gentlemen, today pass SAMRA 15 it’s was much easier than 16 ,I wrote before. No surprise,50% Gen Meteo Questions, 6 on
What do you need a 320 sim for?
I'm guessing it's an ATPL foreign license validation? I believe in Europe when you're validating a foreign ATPL you write the exams (13?), Medical, and then a sim on a type that you're type rated on. Not sure if this applies to Canada.

Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

No it’s Canadian CPL Upgrade to ATPL, ALL hours are enough, Just need to pass IFR flight test, to be able to apply for license. I used to fly for European Charter ,that’s why still keep CPL.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Anyone recently made an application in Hamilton, Toronto, or Ottawa? What's the average turn around time these days?

SaraC172
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SaraC172 »

Congrats . As far I heard no one I knew who got sanra } 16 passed . Until i got n failed I knew why percentages for failing is really high . Did u relever how were the questions . Expecting to get 15 or 14 bit at least I guess will be easier than 16 o hope so if u could remember I appreciate that

Return to “Flight Training”