Your Opinion on Instructor Rating at Moncton Flight College?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Aeronautics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Your Opinion on Instructor Rating at Moncton Flight College?

Post by Aeronautics »

I am selecting a flight school to pursue my instructor rating program. I have received admission at Moncton Flight College and would like to know your views, perspectives / opinion on the quality of training and experience out there? Will look forward to viewing any comments.

Thank You.

Aeronautics
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Your Opinion on Instructor Rating at Moncton Flight Coll

Post by just curious »

Mine worked out there. 34 years ago.

Graham is a thoroughly experienced instructor, well versed in the standards for the rating, as well as the ones you will subsequently teach.

There is a thread regarding renewing an instructor rating. The study details outlined have a clear implication for you and your studies.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Graham is a thoroughly experienced instructor
+1

I wish all the class 1 instructors out there had a fraction of
his knowledge and experience.

Aeronautics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aeronautics »

Thank you for your views and comments so far, much appreciated & obliged. I am just slightly concerned about the receivership and what some people have commented on the money they lost. Is there any light you can shed on this? I have no doubt that Moncton Flight College is a very esteemed and fine institution to train at as a flight instructor.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Never put money on account.

With the economy sucking you're going to start seeing people who pay flight training units in advance losing their money when they go under.

In that situation customers are very low on the list of people getting repaid. Typically all the money is gone well before they get to repaying anyone near that part of the list.

Aeronautics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aeronautics »

Moncton Flight College has specified for my instructor's training I must pay $5000 in advance before I commence my training and then an additional $5000 when I am in the middle of my training. I also know about their receivership that's why I am in a dilemma.

Thanks for everyone posting comments. Appreciate it.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I should have put the "never" comment in quotes.

I trusted a couple of thousand to a flying club in the past and was rewarded with %5 bonus money for doing it. They stopped giving out the $50 so I stopped putting money on account.

You need to decide if you want to risk the money. If you can get going on the training right away and start getting the value for it. You might deem the risk acceptable.

I hope it goes well what ever you decide.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

What Beef said. Putting money on account with an FTU
is like pre-paying a hooker for the next few months services.

I'm not saying it won't work out happily for you, but
don't be surprised if it doesn't.

You are the customer. Call MFC up and ask for the manager
to call you back. Tell them you would like to train there, but
you were told by grumpy old flight instructors to only pay
"cash on the barrel" - paid in full at the end of every flight.

If the FTU doesn't want customers, they can refuse you.
I would be very surprised if they turned down business. They
might ask you to keep your "special" arrangement confidential
however.

Like many young people, you need to learn to stand up
for yourself, and learn to negotiate. At the very least,
ask, "Is that the best you can do?" and appear reluctant.

Aeronautics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aeronautics »

Once again thanks a ton for all your advises. This is makes a lot of sense what all of you mentioned.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
Graham is a thoroughly experienced instructor
+1

I wish all the class 1 instructors out there had a fraction of
his knowledge and experience.
I'm not familiar with Graham, but all of the class 4s I've seen come out of there have been the product of a C.J.. I can't say I've seen what sort of hands and feet they have, but they do know enough to not be practitioners of "death by briefing", which is a lot more than I can say of the graduates of some programs out there, so that's sort of a plus.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'm assuming MFC is a member of the Ministry of Colleges, Training, and Universities. A lot of full service, larger FTU's are.
In light of a few schools closing overnight and running away with foreign students deposits, registered FTU's now have to pay a small amount into a fund that protects the student from losing their advance funds if the school closes.
So, rest assured your money is actually protected.
The drawback of this system is that schools that don't ask for funds in advance still have to pay into the fund! Hurts the little FTU's a bit.

Class 1 Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Class 1 Instructor »

A huge plus one to Never paying up front for training. If the school is hard over that you have to demonstrate you have the money up front, set up an escrow account.

A bigger issue from my POV is whether they will considering hiring you when you have finished your training. Personally I will not commit to doing an instructor rating unless they have a provisional job offer and ideally are allready working at an FTU as a rampy or dispatcher.

I chose the school I used for my initial type rating because they had a high percentage of senior instructors looking to move on. As a result I started working as an instructor the same day I passed my ride.

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

Aeronautics wrote:Moncton Flight College has specified for my instructor's training I must pay $5000 in advance before I commence my training and then an additional $5000 when I am in the middle of my training. I also know about their receivership that's why I am in a dilemma.

Thanks for everyone posting comments. Appreciate it.
Based on this I would say no.
If it was an optional thing where you get a 5% kickback on money down or something then it's a consideration, but if they demand money up front you taking a risk. Tell them you are looking to going somewhere else because of it and they may change their tune.

Aeronautics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aeronautics »

Are there any other flight schools around Canada what any of you would recommend for the flight instructor training? If there are any decent schools you are aware of who are doing an intake of instructors upon training and who do "pay as you go"?

Once again thank you everyone for taking out your precious time to post suggestions here. Really appreciate it.

My Current Actions: (Slight Irrelevant from the Moncton Flight College Topic as I posted)

I did converse with Pacific Flying Club, Professional Flight Centre, Langley Flying School and Pacific Rim Aviation Academy at British Columbia today but they said they have a wait list for the instructor training, surplus of instructors as well. I am yet to talk with Victoria Flying Club. I have spoken with Wellington Flight Centre, Brampton Flight Centre, Toronto Airways and Spectrum Aviation at Ontario. None of them are giving an encouraging feedback about the hiring. Most say it all depends on the demand after you get your instructor rating and our turn over etc.

If there is any advise, suggestion of recommendation anyone has about a particular flight school to pursue instructor rating at, please feel free to comment.

Thank You

gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gaamin »

Edit

Last edited by gaamin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class 1 Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

There are very few sure things in aviation but as a general rule flight schools prefer to hire instructors they have trained. As was allready mentioned most schools can't gaurantee employment after training but they should have an idea of the likelyhood of any openings.

I strongly encourage prospective flight instructors to take advantage of any opportunities to work in the office or dispatching while they are training. Learning the business and operational side of an FTU is just as important as the ground/flying instructional training.

Aeronautics
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aeronautics »

Thanks to everyone who have taken out their precious time to post suggestions, much obliged.

stopbar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stopbar »

Try Ottawa Aviation Services I know they are looking for good candidates for instructors. I have been hearing good things about the direction of the company and its programs.

Hope that helps you out.

Class 1 Instructor
Rank 2
Rank 2

gaamin wrote:
. Pacific Rim Aviation Academy has no Class 1 instructor at the moment.
What happened to Alex ? His departure would be a Big loss.........

Teeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Teeg »

I was a product of MFC, and I was happy with the experience.

Graham is the man, and you can count your lucky stars if he does your 4 training.

I would not pay money up front, and Id be curious as to why they are asking for it. I was employed at the time of receivership and thats been over for 2 years.

If youre interested, talk to admissions, and be straight up, say I want to take the program, but Ill only pay as I go. If memory serves me correct, there is a fee for the G/S, and then flying is separate (as opposed to 2 lump sum payments)

The advantage, as Im sure most would agree with, is, usually, where you do your instructing rating, is where you will get hired. MFC still has chinese contracts in YFC, and there is still a steady flow of students in YQM, which equates to a good chance of employment post rating.

T

Return to “Flight Training”