Cirrus chutes

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Cirrus chutes

Post by Beefitarian »

I think buying a cirrus and pulling the chute is creeping up on my, "Just hit powerball." to do list.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Squaretail wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am
I wonder if it would be better to glide to an area...
As I recall, Cirrus explicitly recommends to pull the chute early at the first sign of trouble as opposed to as an absolute last resort. The last time I flew with a fellow who was Cirrus trained, pretty much every emergency procedure was the same. All he practiced was this quick-draw motion on reaching for that lever.
Great way to sell new airplanes to existing owners!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yeah, you pull the 'chute, and Cirrus gets to sell another plane. In the meantime, yours has impacted the surface, perhaps not where you intended. Just the other week it was reported that a Cirrus under a 'chute killed several unsuspecting people on the ground. We pilots do not have the privilege of putting unsuspecting citizens at risk, because we elected to surrender control of the airplane we are flying.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm Yeah, you pull the 'chute, and Cirrus gets to sell another plane. In the meantime, yours has impacted the surface, perhaps not where you intended. Just the other week it was reported that a Cirrus under a 'chute killed several unsuspecting people on the ground. We pilots do not have the privilege of putting unsuspecting citizens at risk, because we elected to surrender control of the airplane we are flying.
I've considered this as well. A chuted cirrus will definitely cause damage, but are the odds really that bad for injuring or killing people on the ground? It is a fairly light construction on a parachute descending at 2000 ftpm. That's 36 kph. The majority of cars drive faster than that in a school zone. Granted, it can be fairly unexpected to have an airplane drop on you from above, but it should be easier to avoid than a car.

The alternative could be crashing that same plane at 160 kph in a house or beach where people are present.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Anyone from transport reading?

These things need a chute activated klaxon.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The alternative could be crashing that same plane at 160 kph in a house or beach where people are present
The point is to control the plane so as to prevent collisions with people on the ground. To control the path of the plane, the plane must be controllable. It's certified to glide, so glide it away from vulnerables, rather than drifting into them out of control.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... izonte.htm

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Glide to somewhere uninhabited and pull the chute there.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Glide to somewhere uninhabited and pull the chute there
Like this:

No harm to people on the ground, I guess it's up to the pilot if they'd rather roll out, or thump on!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If you rolled it out, you'd have to answer as to why you deviated from the emergency procedure.

In the picture above, it probably would have been better to glide it in. However it doesn't seem like the flight manual emergency procedures allow that flexibility.

Return to “Flight Training”