Langley schools. Langley Flying School or SkyQuest Aviation?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Langley Flying School or Skyquest?

Langley Flying School
88%
SkyQuest
12%

Total votes: 25

mavtar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Langley schools. Langley Flying School or SkyQuest Aviation?

Post by mavtar »

Been looking at schools near the Surrey area and settled on finding a school in Langley.
I've got no pilot experience YET, and I'd like to get my PPL, CPL and ratings in Canada (I'm from the Philippines).

I'm choosing between Langley Flying School and Skyquest Aviation.
Does anyone have any info/opinions/experiences on what its like in these two schools? Anyone know of their reputation?
School history? A/C availability? Staff? Efficiency of equipment? Or anything else on the school.

I've read a lot of other posted topics and the advice is almost always "go there and see for yourself" or "take a fam flight at the school and decide", but unfortunately I can't, so I'm really hoping anyone with knowledge on any of the two schools will take a few minutes to put their 2 cents in? Or at the very least, put a vote in the poll?

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies! It would really help this aspiring pilot out!
---------- ADS -----------

wingmaster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Langley schools. Langley Flying School or SkyQuest Aviat

Post by wingmaster »

Last edited by wingmaster on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragequit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ragequit »

Last edited by ragequit on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
shivam93garg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shivam93garg »

Both schools are good but personal experiance would recommend LFS..... Personal records of the school are great..

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Never been to Skyquest, but I did PPL CPL night multi and IFR with Langley Flying School. Excellent training facility with very friendly staff. Also they have lots of experience with foreign students like yourself. I'd recommend them to you for sure.

Jrmartens
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jrmartens »

I have been a student at Langley flying school for the past 18 months. Like you I had to pick a school based on Internet research, because I was out of province. I made phone calls to both schools and e-mail inquiries, but it was the prompt and professional responses from LFS that helped sway my decision. Upon meeting the chief instructor Dave Perry and having a tour of the school I was hooked. But it wasn't until I did my first flight that I knew LFS was for me. This school is ran by people who truly care about their students. The instructors don't just show up for a pay check or flight hours, they are there to guide you on your way and genuinely care about your training. All the instructors make a point of getting to know the students, which made it easy for me to ultimately pick the best instructor for my learning style. Not only that, but they continually come up with new ways to teach lessons that help the student grasp the concept. The "colourful" fleet of planes is exactly that, but shouldn't be looked down on. They are unique, powerful and amazing little machines to do your training on. Upon doing your first solo, or flight test, they won't just be a generic plane but a fond memory to look back on.

If you want a school that will not only get you your pilot's license but will also give you the best experience while you are in BC, Langley Flying School is the best choice. They are professional, extremely well educated in their field and welcoming. Best decision I ever made was attending this school.

p51mustang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by p51mustang »

I have learned every thing about flying in Langley flying school. I think my best choices I have ever made in my life were become a pilot and choosing langlyflying school for flight training.

TPAL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TPAL »

Copy from another Forum

Learning is a very personal journey and in learning to fly you are going to be emerged in a particular environment for a considerable duration. Everyone has a particular preferred learning style whether it be Visual, Auditory, Reading or Kinetic. "VARK". If you want to know what yours is go to this site. http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=advice. Having attended Langley Flying School as a student from 1997-2002 (PPL, CPL, Multi-Engine & Instructor Rating) I can attest that it is the professional service, attention to safety and the school's atmosphere that is the drawing card for this learning center. I brought many of the lessons learned at this school to the flying school where I teach in central Canada now. One of the most fundamental lessons I took with me as an instructor at LFS is to never forget about how "you" felt the first time you walked into a flying school for information. It is such a foreign environment to the uninitiated! People are scurrying about and speaking a language you have absolutely no idea what they are talking about! Then out of no where there is a smiling face standing in front of you with a hand outstretch saying, "Welcome to Langley Flying School!" my name is. . . .and it is usually Dave, but it can also be on of the instructors or front desk office administrator. Dave instilled that in us and I hold this image dear to me and practice it at my new school! The CFI at my new school phone me at home one evening to say, he had received a phone call from a potential student 6 hours later expressing his appreciation for being met at the door by a smiling engaged instructor who was actively listen to his questions. To me, that is where flight training start, "At the front door" and "that" is what is practiced at Langley Flying School. The atmosphere is positively charged with enthusiasm and a sense of purpose. Staff and students alike are quick to answer other students questions as everyone is one the same mission, some just a little further along in their aviation journey. The fact that everyone is welcome to come and just sit back as long as they want in the school and soak up the atmosphere is really important as learning to fly is not too dissimilar to learning a second language. To expedite one's learning we need to emerge ourselves in the environment, after all, we do learn through osmosis. I read with interest some other comments about the myriad of colors of LFS' planes. It made me smile. I guess some people really do judge books and make others associations by its cover. One must never mistake uniformity with harmony. Uniform is simply that, "uniform" and I wore one for 32 years. It doesn't always mean, "professional". If you want to get caught up in the excitement of learning to flying and share that excitement with others then walk through the front doors of Langley Flying School. You will soon be swept away and find yourself looking down at the ground with a smile on your face. No matter where you choose to learn to fly always remember, "Being a pilot is a journey and flying an airplane is an attitude. It is our attitude that determines the length of our journey." Dave, "Thank you for all the great lessons!"

Raman_shri
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Raman_shri »

@MAVTAR, Friend relating to your situation I was in the same place few years back when I was desperate to fulfill my dream and my personal social life (earning and paying my flying expenses), Very dilemmatic situation where your one decision can put you in Big financial trouble, Thanks to, my one friend he introduced me to LFS (Langley Flying School) I started visiting this school to know how is it , friend I am not going to be influenced with the Building of a school rather I will prefer a place where I can get best Theoretical and Practical knowledge, luckily I found LFS and started my training out there I was very happy with the way their instructors work with you they just empathies with you and your situation because I was working and doing my flight training as well so I had always a tight schedule for my work and my training so that I can manage both the things simultaneously. Initially my instructor was Ben, again he was trained from LFS itself he had full idea what he was teaching to me right now he is flying for Jazz Air LP and Air Canada as Co-pilot, then when he left I joined second instructor, Justin even he got his initial training from LFS itself and became instructor out there right now he is working for Pacific Coastal Airlines. Then after completing my CPL I joined Multi-IFR in LFS as well started training with Philip, he was also the former student of LFS, a very good instructor ,he also joined some airlines don’t know which one right now. Then got chance to get trained by School owner and a very good human being Mr. David Parry I personally found him a gem of a guy. he did all his very best to train me so that I can become a good pilot, it was a very -very good experience to get trained by him, also got very good knowledge of places where we can start working after completing our Flight training. I joined Buffalo Airways ... from there I realized the only thing matters is your theoretical knowledge and practical experience which you earn during your training , that’s only thing is going to save your passengers and crew members not anything else .
I will recommend you for Langley Flying School.
Best wishes

time2flygal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by time2flygal »

I took my flight training at LFS and the staff and students are great! It is a casual structured environment with a very relaxed atmosphere. You would be making the right decision to fly at LFS!

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

I started my training at Langley Flying School in May of 1999. It was the first school I even looked at and it was an easy decision to train there. The training at Langley Flying School is superb. Having done some supplementary ratings at other schools in the lower mainland at YNJ, YXX and ZBB I can say from experience that LFS is a very special place.

Langley flying school is unlike any other school in that it does not take long for LFS to become your family or you a member of theirs. In my experience the other schools are nothing more than pilot mills, they have shiny new equipment, fancy hangars and runways painted on the floor and will give you a pilots license but LFS will train you to be a real competent and confident pilot. LFS is a superb place to learn that actually cares about you the individual and that relationship extends far past your training. After flying as a career for 10 years I have been through a lot of ups and downs and every time I need to "ground" myself and get back to my roots I make the drive out to Langley Flying School where there is always a hot cup of coffee, a warm welcome and where Dave Parry's office is always open to have a chat not just about flying but about life in general. Having come back time and again, every time that I walk into the doors of the school I feel like I have arrived home. LFS is the kind of place that will not only teach you the fundamentals but it will also be a place that supports your goals and aspirations for the duration of your career, where most schools could care less about you once they have scraped every last dime from your wallet.

If you want value that extends far past your initial training and if you want to be part of a close knot flying family then choose LFS it is where I have made some of my longest lasting friends.

If you want to know anything more about the school and my experience feel free to pm me and Id be happy to give you my phone number.

Hawkeye
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hawkeye »

If you looking at both schools, then I recommend you go to both and see the school, meet the staff, the fellow students and the CFI's. Plus book a familiarisation flight. They are discounted in comparison to regular rates, and gives you a good insight to the workings of the school. Even go as far as asking of you can join the Private Pilot or Commercial Groundschool for a night or two. It wouldn't cost you do that if they are good place. Will give you a chance to meet all the students who have made their choice.

Both schools, and all other schools, generally teach the same curriculum laid out by Transport Canada, but its the environment that you need to pick. They can be considerably different. The training costs will be fairly close to the same in the end depending on how well you do at it.

If you want a school that has a warm family feel to it and all the coffee you could ever drink, then LFS is the place for you.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

7 shills registered in the past 3 days, 4 real responses.
If the school is so good, why do they need so many shills?

YMMV
LF

checkremarks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by checkremarks »

LousyFisherman wrote:7 shills registered in the past 3 days, 4 real responses.

YMMV
LF
Touché

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

On another thread I asked why Skyquest charges $12.00 less per hour for the instructor on their twins than they charge for dual on the singles?

Why?

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

YMMV
LF
My guess is probably because word spread around the school that there is a thread started about the school and if there is anything that is true of LFS students and graduates it is that they are proud of their school and the camaraderie that they find there.

How many other schools can say the same.

checkremarks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by checkremarks »

TA/RA wrote:

YMMV
LF
My guess is probably because word spread around the school that there is a thread started about the school and if there is anything that is true of LFS students and graduates it is that they are proud of their school and the camaraderie that they find there.

How many other schools can say the same.
Maybe its the same person who's signing up with different usernames just boasting about the outfit?

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

checkremarks wrote: Maybe its the same person who's signing up with different usernames just boasting about the outfit?
You seem to be anti-LFS, both here and other threads. Nothing wrong with that. But rather than criticize people who would sign up for a forum they've never been to so they can share their positive experiences (which speaks to their strong endorsement), why don't you share your reasons for choosing another school? Anyone can fling sand in the sandbox, but it's alot harder to have an mature objective opinion. So, what was your experience?

floatplanepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatplanepilot »

I started my aviation career with LFS back in '96 working on my PPL. Out of the 6 schools I have trained, rented, worked at, or ran across this country it would be the only flight school that I would give my endorsement to. I credit LFS with the strong foundation that continues to help me in my career. I can't say that about any other school.

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

floatplanepilot wrote:I started my aviation career with LFS back in '96 working on my PPL. Out of the 6 schools I have trained, rented, worked at, or ran across this country it would be the only flight school that I would give my endorsement to. I credit LFS with the strong foundation that continues to help me in my career. I can't say that about any other school.
Cool I was instructing there until july of 96 we probably flew together. PM me your name if you wish.

Kevin Williams

Return to “Flight Training”