Quarter life crisis

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kengel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Quarter life crisis

Post by kengel »

Hey everyone, new to the forums and would love some first hand advice from the people that know it best.

Ill give you some background on me to begin, I'm 22 years old and up to this point, have completed two years towards a Bachelor of Commerce. I initially chose to be in business due to the fact that my family owns a business and I was always expected to be the successor to the so called throne. Unfortunately, recent events have made it clear that this business may no longer be in existence by the time I finish my degree, and I am dreading the reality of continuing in the industry without the family business.

On the other side of things, I have always been fascinated by flying, and having both a mother and grandfather who have worked for Air Canada, I have travelled all across the world, and constantly been in the presence of the aviation industry. In the past few months I have made the decision that I want to take my life in a completely different direction and follow the footsteps of my grandfather to become a commercial pilot. I am 100% sure that this is what I want to do and I am willing to commit my entire being to accomplish this goal.

I applied to UVic and have been accepted into the DBA-Aviation program starting in August. I was also considering Mount Royal, as I live in Calgary, however they require a PPL before you can begin their program, and with a full time summer job, I doubt it is possible to attain it by September.

My questions to you are as follows:
Is UVic a smart choice given my circumstances?
Should I wait until next year and attain my PPL in the meantime and then attend MRU or another institute next year?
And most importantly, what are your thoughts on me neglecting my two completed years of a degree? Would you recommend that I complete this degree before I proceed into aviation even though I have severely lost interest?

I know I am still young and have lots of time to complete whatever it is I decide, but I am very motivated at this point in my life to begin something new. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I hope to learn many things from all the knowledgable people on this forum.
Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Quarter life crisis

Post by ahramin »

The absolute best thing you can do for your aviation career is to get your bachelor of commerce degree finished. Infinitely more valuable than an aviation degree. While you are finishing your degree, get your PPL and CPL. Find a school that will rent you the aircraft for multiple day trips. Go places, meet people, drop off resumes, buy beer.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Definitely finish the degree you're working on. Some will consider you a quitter if you don't. Also it will be a better degree to hold if you're trying to get on with most airlines.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Segueing into a family business is pretty sweet, but if that isn't possible it is just what the rest of us call real life. I'll tell you right now that it will be much easier with a degree and hopefully some family knowledge and support going your own way than it will be making a career in aviation.

Interestingly enough, I had a quarter-life crisis too. I was an AME who wanted to be a pilot, so at 22--after two years of AME training--I started on my flight training and by 25 I was a Commercial Pilot.

However, all of these things called bills and children and mortgage and life came about.... and all of a sudden, flying wasn't as important to me as a stable job with a stable income. As 25 has turned to 35, I find myself enjoying both careers... getting as horny thinking about rib stitching fabric as I do thinking about finding a nice gravel bar to set down on.

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

Finish the degree. Feel free to start on your PPL in the meantime. Pursue your research on the challenges you'll be facing and how aviation is not all sunshine and big sunglasses.

In case aviation doesn't work out, you'll have a degree that'll likely come in handy. Aviation diplomas don't mean much outside of aviation, IMHO.

And if flying works out but your medical doesn't at some point, you'll have operational experience and a clue about business management if you want to keep on working in aviation.

Good luck,

Louis

Return to “Flight Training”