Is this normal on corporate jets?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Is this normal on corporate jets?

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Any time we did V1 cuts on the Metro and the BE02 during on-wing initial training we did it at altitude. For recurrent it is done in the sim. I was massively uncomfortable watching this video. Is this kind of thing normal for the corporate world???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EeYdPhdBwo
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Is this normal on corporate jets?

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Nope never do it. As a training captain, all engine failures are above 1500' AGL in the aircraft. We don't want to die.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Every takeoff in the L39 (and tutor, and T-33, and F-86, and F-104)
is a "V1 cut" :wink:

Aeroplane17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aeroplane17 »

200hr i think he's referring to jets not king airs.

Yes any v1 cut on a corporate jet should be a none issue if its empty on a screaming vfr day, at a flatland airport as both these videos show.

The point they're trying to get across is less yaw then other light twins or wing mounted engine aircraft.

The only issue with the first video i see is levelling at 400ft. In real hard ifr conditions i think i'd keep that climb going. Too many obstacles above 400ft. Get up to 1500 or msa before dealing with the checklists etc.

If embedded vid doesn't work-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcwGmj4atos

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The place to do V1 cuts is in the sim. There has already been too many smoking holes beside runways........

BTW there were several other bad practices demonstrated in that video.

I will start with the first one. Failing to visually clear the departure path for a departure from an uncontrolled airport.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

The only issue with the first video i see is levelling at 400ft

Third segment climb begins at 400 feet, and here the rules can vary. The climb gradient is now half of what it was before: 1.2 percent. However, we are also required to accelerate to a speed called VFS (final segment climb speed). In graphs and publications, the third segment of the climb is often depicted as being a flat line for the acceleration. In many turboprops, that’s exactly the way it’s flown. The airplane is leveled off (and the pilot is using a very tired leg to overcome the increasing yaw tendency via the rudder) and accelerated before the final climb begins.

In jets, however, there is generally enough power in the remaining engine to avoid a level-off. If the airplane can continue to accelerate during the third segment, it may continue to climb, so long as it can do so without a decrease in speed or performance. In fact, during the climb it must continue to meet the climb gradient while accelerating to VFS.

V1 cuts at lift-off in a Citation are a non-event. Additionally, having accomplished single engine take-offs in a Citation simulator, I have no doubt they could be done in real life. However, simulators allow you to practice and safely develop the skills required should you encounter the real thing. Many years ago in the RCAF, there used to be an instructor at a twin piston training school who used to do V1 cuts on take-off. It was a great teaching tool until one dark and stormy night, the rattled student jammed in the wrong rudder and neatly flipped them upside down on the runway. And that's where they burned to death.

Simulators have a purpose; as FSI used to preach "Think training is expensive? Try an accident".

John

Last edited by Schooner69A on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Second mistake I see is two hands on the yoke before V1.....

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

It also seems to me that we used to punch up "go around" on the HSI; on most light twins I ever flew, it closely approximated the required SE after take-off climb speed. Made it quite easy.

John

Return to “Flight Training”